Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Terrific Deal on Drift HD170 Stealth

No connection to B&H Photo, just a satisfied customer - I can vouch for them; excellent service. Thought you might like to know.

I just received my new DRIFT HD model but at $369 for the new one versus the $169 deal for the Stealth model at B&H, I may rethink my purchase??!! I assume this is a close out deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Camera.html
    Last edited by hevnbound; 10-26-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been waiting for the new HD's to be out, but this last week or so seeing the deep discounts on the next newest model the Drift HD 170 Stealth. I been trying to find what all the differences are in the two.

I cant find many differences other than smaller body of camera. Anyone know the differences?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Differences between the HD170 and new Drift HD

• 25% lighter (More compact housing)
    • replaceable lens
    • Second rear cover to protect the camera when using an external mic or a USB charger
    • New goggle strap in addition to curved and flat adhesive mounts, paired with a universal clip for multiple mounting options
    • 9 MP photos
    • A 2.5 microphone input for external microphones
    • External power pack accessory offering (20 hrs. record time)
    • Uses Micro SD card instead of a SD card.
    • The Stealth is approximately $100.00 cheaper than the new HD and comes with a bonus SD card.
    • The battery on the smaller HD cannot be upgraded to a larger battery that is available on the Stealth.
    The major differences appear to be the camera size, the increase in MP for photo shooting; a weatherproof rear cover that allows you to plug in a charger and/or external microphone; and a replaceable lens cap cover that protects the lens from the elements.

Oh yeah, it should be noted that Drift just started shipping the new HD to their North American dealers and there is a backlog in delivery times for those who pre-ordered back in August. The current expected shipment date is mid-November.

My unit, one of the 10 units available here in Canada, was shipped yesterday. It was sent via Canada Post, so I should receive it well before Christmas!

I will give it a test run and write a small report when I am done.

Hope this helps

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I snagged a HD170 stealth for $139 about a month ago from B&H (they're $169 now?).

It came with the goggle strap and multi-mount thingy. Haven't found much use for it yet.

I used a ram mount on my handlebars and the vibration is too much for decent video (you get the jello effect) but it works there using the 2 second continuous snapshot mode. Haven't had anything interesting enough to post yet.

I think some kind of semi-professional mount and maybe some post-processing is needed to make it more usable. Definitely need to experiment with other locations.

Sorta related, does anyone know what this post-processing technique is called or how it's done?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p7RPKD5Dv0
    In Fred's video it starts off with the usual video shake and then they kick in some post processing where the frame slides around and the main subject stays stable. It looks fantastic and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post

I used a ram mount on my handlebars and the vibration is too much for decent video (you get the jello effect) but it works there using the 2 second continuous snapshot mode. Haven't had anything interesting enough to post yet.
    I have a gopro and have had it mounted all over the spyder using RAM mounts and also the suction mount that came with it and still had the jello problem. I thought this would help: http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/gear/adaptiv-mounts
    It didn't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maybe mounts aren't the answer... post processing is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPNf2Rk4qQ

I just tried out VirtualDub's Deshaker filter and it worked well... now I need a video worth deshaking

Spyder 5 Team Member
    Spyder Garage

SNY, I think Fred did that one himself, I'm guessing it's a preset effect on iMovie, or Windows Movie Maker. I'll ask him.

I've had a lot of success with the suction mounts on the front trunk, on the windshield and on my helmet, without being too shaky. If I don't want long stretches of smoothness it works out ok. I've also used my Flip camera with a Gorilla bendable tripod that I can bend around my passenger handles or my axles for a pretty good shot. But, anywhere on the dash or the handlebars has been too shaky for me, too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well at $169 being less than 1/2 the price of the new ones coming out, I have decided to quit waiting on the new HD and take advantage of these cheap prices now. The smaller size I dont think is that important to me and the other few differences I can handle based on the quality of videos I have seen shot by the current Stealths. I just sent BH my order.

I would love to see some pictures &/or some descriptions of many of the mounting options all you Drift users are using. Lamont I know you have used several different ones. I think I am mainly interested in mounting up front somewhere like on my dash or the mirror or maybe front trunk area? I dont care to see much or any of my Spyder in my shots, just the scene ahead that i am seeing as I ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So far: dash, mirror, handlebars, windscreen all bad vibration.

I want to try something off the windscreen bolts next and maybe off the side like where wind deflectors are mounted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just as an alternative Amazon has the Contour HD1080p for $109.96 with free shipping. Pretty good deal too even if it is the discontinued model.

Spyder Garage
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I took my new Drift HD170 Stealth for a test run even though my suction cup mount, etc.. have not made it here yet. I am very happy with its performance from this first days test I have to say. I am glad I went ahead and took advantage of the great pricing on these now instead of forking out the big bucks for the new one. Actually you could buy two of these for less than the price of one new one, and I might just do that and have one set to video and one for still pics because I am impressed with boths performance so far. The remote worked very well for me strapped to my left handle bar.

For this test run I just used the elastic fabric headband that comes with the Drift and wrapped it around my left side rearview mirror and wedged some foam under the Drift to get the correct angle forward on it. I will fashion a better way to do this if this is the permanet location I decide on. So far, I am thinking I like the results at 780p and 60fps over the 1080p and 30 fps, but will test more. Here is a quick clip on my first test run at 780p/60fps on a kinda rough backroad. Also I have my new Elkas set pretty firm so I get a bit more vibration from the rough spots for now.

(BE SURE AND CHANGE TO 780HD on Youtube settings)

Here are a sample pic from the still shots (A bug splatter messes it up some, but still seem to be decent to me)

Spyder Garage

Default Drift Stealth HD 170

This video was from my new Drift Stealth HD 170 in 1080p mode. This allowed for a wider angle since I had to mount my camera slightly further back to avoid my helmet face hinge. At 780 you don't get a good front view. I had to downgrade the quality considerably in conversion to make it a smaller file size for Youtube. The camera is slightly out to the right which is nice for viewing the scenery as well. I couldn't do it on the left to pick up oncoming traffic better because the Bluetooth mic was there.

I have eliminated the sound track to avoid Youtube licensing issues because I was rocking out to the iPod and you miss out on the nice throaty gear changes. I sued VirtualDub to minimize vibration, but didn't see a major improvement.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    This video was from my new Drift Stealth HD 170 in 1080p mode. This allowed for a wider angle since I had to mount my camera slightly further back to avoid my helmet face hinge. At 780 you don't get a good front view. I had to downgrade the quality considerably in conversion to make it a smaller file size for Youtube. The camera is slightly out to the right which is nice for viewing the scenery as well. I couldn't do it on the left to pick up oncoming traffic better because the Bluetooth mic was there.

?

If I am understanding you right, you are saying that 1080 gives you a wider field of view? In the manual I read where it says "1080p mode and SD mode have a 127 degree recording angle, while 720p mode will capture video in a 170 degree wide angle." Is that not indicating that using 780p mode will allow more of the roadsides to show up in the video?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Drift HD

I finally received the newly released Drift HD last week. Reasonably compact unit with great video quality. The remote is definitely the best option for filming selected scenes while you are on the road. I have filmed a few short test clips with the unit mounted in different locations on my RT.
    The two best locations (read limited vibration) using a suction cup mount were the surface of the front trunk for forward shots and the surface of the rear trunk for rearward facing shots. Anywhere on the trailer works well. The helmet mount is a great place to mount this unit, but be aware that any head movement will show up in your shots. Having an LCD screen is a nice feature, especially when setting up your viewing area. The remote unit is definitely the way to go.

My next challenge will be to trial test a few video software editing programs to see which one works best. As of today I have evaluated Cyberlink and Corel software. Corel is the winner so far.

If you are looking for a recorder at a reasonable price, and feature rich, I would recommend the Drift HD170 unit. The differences between this unit and the new HD are very subtle and under most shooting situations may not be worth the extra coin.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 11-07-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Drift Stealth HD

Quote Originally Posted by ArkTerry View Post
    ?If I am understanding you right, you are saying that 1080 gives you a wider field of view? In the manual I read where it says "1080p mode and SD mode have a 127 degree recording angle, while 720p mode will capture video in a 170 degree wide angle." Is that not indicating that using 780p mode will allow more of the roadsides to show up in the video?
    Well, all I can tell you is when it is is 1080, it gets a wider field of view (but no zoom capabilities, and eats up SD storage much faster.). It also adds a bit of "fish eye" to the scene. 780 has zoom, but a tighter range of sight. I haven't tried SD mode yet. I will take a ryde this weekend and do two comparison tests. I have done it already, but didn't keep the video. I will post the shots so you can see.

Couple of other things to note if you are shopping: the Drift is slightly heavier than the Contour. Not much but slightly and slightly bigger. The Contour also has laser dot(s) to assist with aiming AND the one Contour allows you to use an iPhone as a remote viewer/controller. All that being said, it was about twice as expensive. For the money, the Drift seemed like a better value, given I will just be using it for the occasional Ryde/paintball video.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Waste of money….. I have a "keychain" camera that takes better (IMHO) video, and cost me $30 for the HD version - delivered. The 780P version is now selling for $7.. The only downside I've found is that you are limited to 20 minute video segments - camera won't shut off, just chops the video into segments..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Key-Chai...ht_3705wt_1398

I attach mine to a 1 inch square piece of black velcro on my mirror - but you can spend what you want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Waste of money….. I have a "keychain" camera that takes better (IMHO) video, and cost me $30 for the HD version - delivered. The 780P version is now selling for $7.. The only downside I've found is that you are limited to 20 minute video segments - camera won't shut off, just chops the video into segments..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Key-Chai...ht_3705wt_1398

I attach mine to a 1 inch square piece of black velcro on my mirror - but you can spend what you want.

You can't really believe that takes better video than the Drift can you? It's great you're happy with your $30 camera but there's no way it's close to the quality of the Drift Bro.

Spyder Garage

Default Drift Stealth

?If I am understanding you right, you are saying that 1080 gives you a wider field of view? In the manual I read where it says "1080p mode and SD mode have a 127 degree recording angle, while 720p mode will capture video in a 170 degree wide angle." Is that not indicating that using 780p mode will allow more of the roadsides to show up in the video?
    ArkTerry,
    I owe you an apology. I shot 780 rez footage today to compare and I was wrong. The 780 comes out wider with a fisheye effect and the 1080 comes out closer and more clear with no distortion. I guess the first time I did this the camera was aimed differently because I based my statement on how much of the dash and forward view I could see and after looking at today's video, I can see that that 780 gets a bit more to even include the edge of my helmet.

Even though I was wrong, I still like the 1080 view better. I have attached links to pictures comparing and will have the 780 video up on Youtube as soon as it loads.

Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    ArkTerry,
    I owe you an apology. I shot 780 rez footage today to compare and I was wrong. The 780 comes out wider with a fisheye effect and the 1080 comes out closer and more clear with no distortion. I guess the first time I did this the camera was aimed differently because I based my statement on how much of the dash and forward view I could see and after looking at today's video, I can see that that 780 gets a bit more to even include the edge of my helmet.

Even though I was wrong, I still like the 1080 view better. I have attached links to pictures comparing and will have the 780 video up on Youtube as soon as it loads.

No apology needed! We are all just learning/testing and its great to have others to get ideas/reviews/thoughts from like you. I am also taking some test shots today on different settings and mounting areas now that my extra mounting items have arrived.

Spyder Garage

I've never shot 1080 but I will now, that looks great

Spyder Garage

WingmanRT

Picture quality looks great. Guess I'll have to order on. Do you know how long it will record on a 32gb card? Also how long will the battery last?

Thanks!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The manual says on storage capacity = 32 gig @ 1080 = 6 hours filming, @780 = 9 hours filming

BHPhoto had a deal that included the 2nd higher capacity battery in it.

The manual says = Standard battery = about 2.5 hours record time, High capacity battery = 4 hours record time.

These are "claimed" numbers and I have not tested to verify.

Spyder Garage

The manual says on storage capacity = 32 gig @ 1080 = 6 hours filming, @780 = 9 hours filming

BHPhoto had a deal that included the 2nd higher capacity battery in it.

The manual says = Standard battery = about 2.5 hours record time, High capacity battery = 4 hours record time.

These are "claimed" numbers and I have not tested to verify.
    Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As soon as I figure out how to upload a non-youtube video, I'll post one. Indeed, the video is as good, given that it's mounted on a piece of velcro, not a hard mount. Also, given my use of the camera, I'd much rather have a real video camera than a special purpose camera. Additionally, I mounted my Canon ELPH on a RAM mount on my BMW, and got great video.

I just fail to see any justification for this high priced toy… Suggestions as to how to upload the video would be appreciated - the "uploader" has been spinning of about 20 minutes on my last attempt..