Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Shock advice from Cowtown

I would like to THANK Len at Cowtown for his help in setting up a pair of Elka shocks. He asked about our weight and riding habits, would we be towing a trailer or not. I mean he covered the bases and it shows, I took it for a ride and it handles SO much better. A corner that I would lean at 25 MPH now has allmost no lean at 40 and were having wind gusts of 40 MPH and I didn't feel them at all. Now I have a pair of 2011 RT shocks to hang on the wall. Thanks again. Rick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I would like to THANK Len at Cowtown for his help in setting up a pair of Elka shocks. He asked about our weight and riding habits, would we be towing a trailer or not. I mean he covered the bases and it shows, I took it for a ride and it handles SO much better. A corner that I would lean at 25 MPH now has allmost no lean at 40 and were having wind gusts of 40 MPH and I didn't feel them at all. Now I have a pair of 2011 RT shocks to hang on the wall. Thanks again. Rick
    Rick, I had the exact same experience with Len back in July. We had ridden to San Antonio in terrible wind and I hated the way our 2011 RTS Limited handled in the front end. I called Len and he went through the same with me. He had the shocks shipped and sitting there waiting for us when we got home. Gary The Badger installed them for me and the Spyder became a different machine and a real joy to ryde. Len set the shocks up for us and gave us a very good price, too.

pitbull

Thanks guys for trusting me, I'm not sure I'm always right but try my best to do the best I can by folks. The whole system how it all works can be a bit overwhelming to learn and know how to set, but all in all it's a pretty easy to figur out. Again thanks guys for the postsmeans a lot to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This thread is most timely!! I took my 2011 RT in for its 600 mi service today. Going to the dealer (75 miles away) this AM was a good ride considering the roads were wet from the last few days rain. Got to the dealer OK but by the time it was ready this afternoon the winds were strong and gusting.

The was all over the road being pushed one way then another....especially when being passed....I spoke to a Harley's passenger that agreed it was hard to ride in these conditions. Light handed control helped to keep me from over correcting but the bike shifted all over the lane.

Are these Elka shocks really that good?

My is soooooo much better since I upped the front tires to 18 psi, rear to 29 psi and the suspension to 40 psi (the shocks are on 5). But even with these changes the wind scared the c*^p out of me. Do any of you really think they would help?

For now I'll avoid really windy days on 55+ mph roads....

Thanks Greg

arntufun

You should sell those shocks to a RS guy. I'm sure they would sell quick.

Spyder Garage

I will be selling the shocks, but Monday I get 2 new knees so I'm going to be layed up for a while. If I put them up for sale now I couldn't ship them for maybe a month, so I thought I should wait. By the way they have 1200 miles on them so I guess you could say they were new. 2 new knees to go with my new hips of 2003 now do they make ankles ?

pitbull

In my eyes......... YES!!! Put them on every demo Spyder I set up! With out fail shocks are my first and without fail mod! I'll put my money where my heart is, you want to try them out. If you buy them and don't like them?!? Take them off and send them back and I'll give all your money back including the shipping booth ways sir.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the pitbull buggy View Post
    In my eyes......... YES!!! Put them on every demo Spyder I set up! With out fail shocks are my first and without fail mod! I'll put my money where my heart is, you want to try them out. If you buy them and don't like them?!? Take them off and send them back and I'll give all your money back including the shipping booth ways sir.
    I will jump on that offer. Do I Place the order with you or anyone at Cowtown.

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki2cu View Post
    I will jump on that offer. Do I Place the order with you or anyone at Cowtown.
    The best is to call me tomorrow at the office and I'll make sure you get the deal we talked about and the Spyderlovers discount. The store number is 800-258-6898 ask for me... Aka LEN, I'll set them up for your weight, Spyder and style of riding. Or on my cell 314 623 4743

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the pitbull buggy View Post
    The best is to call me tomorrow at the office and I'll make sure you get the deal we talked about and the Spyderlovers discount. The store number is 800-258-6898 ask for me... Aka LEN, I'll set them up for your weight, Spyder and style of riding. Or on my cell 314 623 4743
    Len, look forward to talking to you tomorrow.

Ted

Spyder Garage

If you have a 2009 RS How does the Base level Elka compare with the 1+ , 2, 2+ Etc???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If you have a 2009 RS How does the Base level Elka compare with the 1+ , 2, 2+ Etc???
    99% of what we sell are the base line, stage 1 way plus, the higher end shocks are better but really best bang for the buck is the one way plus!
    Last edited by pitbull; 10-14-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

I was excited when I saw the name Cowtown because I thought you were the dealer in Fort Worth, TX. Unfortunately you're 10 hours away in Missouri!

pitbull

But we can still be friends right??? sorry bro wish we were closer for ya. O do know about the cats down there, we ocassional get inventory switched up from bro lol

pitbull

Lol the offers still good for ya too matt regardless of location in side the U.S bro.

Spyder Garage

Len this is off the subject but do you guys have any caps for the trailer module laying around. Some how mine is missing and I think I should cover the recepticle

pitbull

Len this is off the subject but do you guys have any caps for the trailer module laying around. Some how mine is missing and I think I should cover the recepticle
    Honestly.... Not sure but I will double check in the morning and let ya know.

Spyder Garage

Thank You-------Rick

Spyder Garage

I will definitely keep your offer in mind. We've got family in St. Louis so I might need to make a trip up that way on my new Spyder. Taking it in for the 600 mile service tomorrow. Dealers here in DFW are nice enough but they don't seem to have the passion or knowledge of the Spyder that you guys in Cuba are renowned for. Just getting straight answers on accessory options has been difficult.

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    I will definitely keep your offer in mind. We've got family in St. Louis so I might need to make a trip up that way on my new Spyder. Taking it in for the 600 mile service tomorrow. Dealers here in DFW are nice enough but they don't seem to have the passion or knowledge of the Spyder that you guys in Cuba are renowned for. Just getting straight answers on accessory options has been difficult.
    Thanks Matt too kinda of you too say! Anything I can ever do for you let me know. Be great to meet ya. Double check your service cost before you drop your ryde off, I hear bad stories from time to time on over chargers, should run around 150.00 give or take a bit anything over that is just taking advantage of owners. thanks matt

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got robbed on my 600 mile service then. Can't remember the exact figure since it was 3 or 4 months ago but it was right around 400. I complained hard since I was expecting under 200. I didn't even ask because I never fathomed it could possibly be in that range. Funny thing is they carged me 179 for the 3000 mile service. They Must have got my message, huh? I am in southern Maryland so unfortunately, no chance of making it to Cowtown for my service needs.

I did order my Elkas from John at Elka and he invoiced them through Cowtown. Always glad to help a great dealer. Any chance of opening a place in MD Len?

Spyder Garage

If you're talking about the cover under the side panniers that goes over the outlet for the trailer pigtail, and Len can't help, let me know. I have several lying around someplace if I can find them. And I'll be riding up to your area in a couple of weeks so we could meet someplace, or I can drop one in the mail.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Dan thats the one and I sure would appricate it. Hey I might even be out of the hospital by then. I get 2 new knees Monday so I might be layed up awhile. I'm in Owosso just west of Flint. Thanks Dan

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Dan thats the one and I sure would appricate it. Hey I might even be out of the hospital by then. I get 2 new knees Monday so I might be layed up awhile. I'm in Owosso just west of Flint. Thanks Dan
    Best wishes on your knee replacements, Rick!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered my Elkas from Len at Cowtown. Len was great he explained how the Elkas would change my spyder handling and how to adjust them. If you are thinking about getting Elkas call Len.