Thread: dps fault

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face dps fault

while crusing down 23 in Tennessee my dps light went on and the bike went into limp mode. pulled over shut the engine down checked the oil, no problem. checked the manual could find no reason to cause the problem. the manual said take it to the nearst dealer for repair. tried calling a dealer in east tennessee, no answer. last hope tried to start the engine. It satatred and no warning lights came on. proceed for an additional 200 miles to my destination without any problems. WTF, if it continues without problems whill get it checked back home in Michigan.

bob

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Check your battery connections and the battery voltage. The DPS pulls more juice than anything on the Spyder. The problem could also be in a related component, such as the steering sensors. Your dealer can connect to BUDS to see the cause. It could be as simple to fix as recalibrating the steering sensors.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Check your battery connections and the battery voltage. The DPS pulls more juice than anything on the Spyder. The problem could also be in a related component, such as the steering sensors. Your dealer can connect to BUDS to see the cause. It could be as simple to fix as recalibrating the steering sensors.
    When i got my Spyder 3+ years ago I wired in a pig tail for a heated jacket, Direct to the battery [fused]
    And i added Star Washers to the posts, Never did they ever loosen
    Maybe that's the way to go if some people are having their terminals getting lose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    What does DPS stand for ?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Newsuan View Post
    What does DPS stand for ?
    Dynamic Power Steering

Spyder Garage

Default Had it happen as well...

Just put over 2,000+ miles on the RT in the last two weeks with the wife and a full trailer. Just out side of Shasta the byke started shutting down ... DPS warning, LIMP warning and me wondering what just happened. Got her to the side of the highway and got the manual out. Told me to contact the dealer... Well, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. I still had another week of vacation and miles to go. So I checked the coolant and oil, looked over the tires and checked the belt. After listening to my wife for about 15 minutes telling me to just stay calm, I put the key in and fired up the byke again as if nothing ever happened . Rode another 850 miles w/o any problems. I'm thinking I must have tapped the brake and rolled on the gas when going into the turn at the same time... Needless to say, the RT ran great even in the pouring rain!

When it goes in for an oil change and such, I'll let the tech know what happened.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We had that fault a few weeks ago and took it into the dealer and the only thing we could figure out is that we had taken a curve about a mile long down hill that was a constant and it caused the sensors to think there was a problem with the angle of the tires. We pulled over and it cleared, but did put us in the limp mode. Cleared after I shut it down and strated it a few minutes later. We have right at 5,400 miles on our RT Limited since the first of May. That was the only problem we have had.