Spyder Garage

Default Question for Techies

All summer my Spyder has been cutting out for a split second intermittently, when it does a light flashes on the dash. Last Thursday I was finally had my eyes looking in the right direction and realized it is the reverse light flashing on. Seems to be getting more frequent and seems to quit after the 1st 15 to 20 miles then run perfect. I've tried several times to get error codes using the headlight flash method and always get no fault codes. I'm thinking GPS but don't want to just throw parts at it hoping that is what is wrong. If anybody has heard of something like this your input would be helpful.
    Happy Owner

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

That would be my thought, too, but I don't know why the GPS would make the engine cut out. Maybe it briefly entered limp mode. and just cut back? Sounds like hooking up to BUDS would be a good move.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Is there any means by which we mortals can connect to BUDS with a laptop......sure would be nice to obtain the data on a laptop before undertaking (for quite a few of us) a longish ride to a service location....???

Spyder Garage

I would say it's your GPS and when it thinks it's in R it kills the motor because it's going to fast for reverse. Get her on BUDS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That would be my thought, too, but I don't know why the GPS would make the engine cut out. Maybe it briefly entered limp mode. and just cut back? Sounds like hooking up to BUDS would be a good move.
    Thanks Scotty, that will probably be my only option. I'm not sure how much data BUDS can get since this is such a small problem.
    And Lamont.
    Last edited by Mo Lee; 09-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    Is there any means by which we mortals can connect to BUDS with a laptop......sure would be nice to obtain the data on a laptop before undertaking (for quite a few of us) a longish ride to a service location....???
    I wish the same, being a wrench myself I like to solve my on problems/challenges myself. Since it quits acting up 15 or 20 miles down the road and Cowtown is 50 I guess I would have to trailer it up to let them see the problem.
    Happy Owner

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    I wish the same, being a wrench myself I like to solve my on problems/challenges myself. Since it quits acting up 15 or 20 miles down the road and Cowtown is 50 I guess I would have to trailer it up to let them see the problem.
    You could ride up. If it has left telltale tracks in BUDS, they would not have to see the problem as it happens.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Would gear position sensor do that?

Spyder Garage

I just need to find time to get it to Cowtown, I've suspected GPS all along, just wanted to rule out anything else.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I would say it's your GPS and when it thinks it's in R it kills the motor because it's going to fast for reverse. Get her on BUDS.

Sometimes they can work just a bit loose and cause a problem-- or it could be going bad. Many of us early adopters had GPS problems and had to have them replaced. I believe the early units had some defective GPS units-- poor solder joints or some such thing.....

The Gear Position Sensor is down near the front sprocket--- tucked a bit behind it. Can probably be replaced without totally removing sprocket--- but pretty tight area to work in-- and might be a good idea to check your sprocket out anyway as long as you're down there....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!