Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Did you guys feel the quake in Virginia?

HOly moley!! Our office took about five back and forth sways, paused and then did it agian. And we're over 400 miles away! I hope that the folks in Richmond didn't take much damage...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Low rumbling, a liitle shaking, and the dishes rattling for about 30-45 seconds. I think that's my first.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup.

In my office, nice rolling wave-style quake, lasted about a minute, I knew what it was the very moment it started. I just calmly started saying "Earthquake... earthquake... EARTHQUAKE" until two nearby co-workers started paying attention.

Actually was my *sixth* quake-- I've felt two in L.A., one in Chicago (!), and now three in the D.C. area (!!).

This one was by far the biggest. Great fun

What sucks is that it's a beautiful day, 81 degrees and sunny, I was totally planning on going out riding tonight, but now I'm sure the traffic will be a mess for hours.
    Last edited by daveinva; 08-23-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the club. Earthquakes are very scarry--even with the frequency that they happen here in AK. We get a couple hundred a day---BUT--they are mostly 2 or less magnitude--barely felt or not noticable.

We have had a couple 6 and higher since I have lived here--but that is not a regular occurance. I find it interesting that in the last 24 hours--beginning in Colorado---there were five earthquakes in areas that usually do not experience them--almost in a straight line from CO to VA. The big ones--5.8 or higher were at the beginning and ending of the line.

Also hope the Madrid fault does not get active. That is the area where another one was centered.
    I am hoping to hear no more news of earthquakes.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Colorado-New Mexico also

Strange that a 5.3 quake also hit the Colorado-New Mexico border this morning.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was standing on a scaffold about thirty feet up and did not feel a thing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 'Quake

Well, K'ville is still standing.
    I had a sneakin' suspicion what it was......I was in Skopje when that big bugger hit many years ago.
    Good for a Ryde this eve.

Spyder Garage

Just a few blocks inside the DC beltway the rumbling was enough to empty everyone from the building. Initial thoughts were construction accident, plane crash or building collapse- took a while for logic to arrive at earthquake.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Post Yup, felt it in Cincinnati, Ohio

I was at work sitting at my break table when I felt the floor & everything start moving a little. At first, I thought it was just me having a dizzy spell, but then I realized I wasn't dizzy & it was actually the floor moving. Then I just chuckled to myself & thought, "I'm thankful I got that earthquake ryder on my condo insurance policy." Tho, thankfully nothing serious & no damage here.

Spyder Garage

Felt it in Columbus OH. 4th floor. My first too.

Been others here but I was on the road or asleep for them.

Knew right away what it was...pretty cool.

Spyder Garage

I felt nothing, but my scheduler's daughter called from the next town north and she felt it.
    Upstate NY.

Spyder Garage

I was working at my home office near Staunton, VA and started shaking everything including my bottle of water. Thought a train derailed or something. Was quite scary. I ran outside and several neighbors were just coming out of their doors as well. We were all confused as to what it was. I am only 60 miles away from the center of the earthquake area and 70 miles from the nuclear plant that is currently running on diesel/battery backup...hopefully no problems there!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Crazy!!!

I was on my lunch break at cafe in a Richmond office park. The first shake I brushed off you know as a plane, copter, or whatever. Next was undeniable! I told a friend it's an earthquake! People kinda looked around but we were out of that building! Got outside and saw the windows of the four two story buildings waving and flexing. Thought they were gonna shatter. It was insane! Truly an experience. Ran back in, got my lunch and ate outside lol! I was about 45 miles from the epicenter in Louisa.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Felt it at the Jersey Shore!!! Was standing in the living room when I saw my attic stairs (which are in my hall ceiling) banging like crazy like someone was trying to get down out of my attic. First thought . . . someone is trying to break into the house through the attic?!!! Another second later I feel the whole house

shaking & rolling. The dogs ran for cover underneath my bed & I realize it's an earthquake. All of my neighbors run outside. The pool was rocking and rolling and

the water was splashing out all over. My neighbors turned on their car radio to see what had happened. They were already talking about it on the radio. Pretty scary. Definitely a very odd sensation. Guess some folks around the country are used to these events but we sure aren't here!!!
    Last edited by Florida girl; 08-23-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm kind of used to the ground shaking, What with Living between the Ramapo Fault [1/4 mile] and Picatinny, Also i can usually tell something is going to shake, When my dog starts to act nervous and starts to hide. But yes i felt this one pretty good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm about 60 miles from epicenter and got a good shaking. Sister was thrown from the couch to the floor and dog was tossed from it's bed. My son's and I were watching TV when the whole house started to shake.