Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Need Opinions...

Situation my saddle bag trunks will pop open...nothing consistent as to cause...for example today I went over 200 miles....lumps, bumps, twisties...corners....closed tight..get on the freeway almost as smooth as silk going 70 and the fell open. This has happened repeatedly...spyder tech said last time I was in that he "shortened" the cord...well don't know what cord where but it ain't working...fortunately my bags fall onto the lid...they haven't hit the pavement YET but am sure it is just an accident waiting to happen!!! OK others with this..what was you solution(s)....gotta go armed to dealer and say here's what I know....I love getting all your input..makes me sound soooooo wise when I talk to him...and I am my insides off cause I am so not mechanical!!!!
    Thanks so much

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never had mine fall open in fact I have a hard time opening them. The only way they open is to push on them as I open the latch. I hope you get them fixed and don't lose your stuff on the highway.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Situation my saddle bag trunks will pop open...nothing consistent as to cause...for example today I went over 200 miles....lumps, bumps, twisties...corners....closed tight..get on the freeway almost as smooth as silk going 70 and the fell open. This has happened repeatedly...spyder tech said last time I was in that he "shortened" the cord...well don't know what cord where but it ain't working...fortunately my bags fall onto the lid...they haven't hit the pavement YET but am sure it is just an accident waiting to happen!!! OK others with this..what was you solution(s)....gotta go armed to dealer and say here's what I know....I love getting all your input..makes me sound soooooo wise when I talk to him...and I am my insides off cause I am so not mechanical!!!!
    Thanks so much
    Both of my saddle bags require a little force to close them enough to latch. I usually push the door closed with the side of my leg then give it a pull just to make sure it's locked. I had to play around with the door alignment to make them open by themselves when I pull the release.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep I've done all that...stick my finger tips in the crack and pull as hard as I can..CLOSED tight...bump with my leg...repeat.... OK keep the opinions coming...so far I've tried all this multiply times...I know there is a solution out there!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Both of my saddle bags require a little force to close them enough to latch. I usually push the door closed with the side of my leg then give it a pull just to make sure it's locked. I had to play around with the door alignment to make them open by themselves when I pull the release.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default open bags

Not sure what your riding rt, or rs ,,but my rs bags came open once and after that a fast fix was a small strip of double sided velco, the none glue kind the hook on one side the loop on the other ,,works very well

Spyder Garage

Yep I've done all that...stick my finger tips in the crack and pull as hard as I can..CLOSED tight...bump with my leg...repeat.... OK keep the opinions coming...so far I've tried all this multiply times...I know there is a solution out there!!!!!
    When I close mine I can hear a definite click when it locks. Wonder if the latches are too far back to make a good lock.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    When I close mine I can hear a definite click when it locks. Wonder if the latches are too far back to make a good lock.
    It sounds as though they are latching on the end of the latch instead of fully engaging to the inside of the latch.

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much
    That happened to me this week. driving down the interstate @ 75 mph and luckily wariding next to my wife. She frantically pointed down at my rh side compartment and called me on the phone. I pull over and there is my luage sitting on the wide open door! I had been on the road for nearly 100 miles and hit no obvious rough road.

It is scary how often someone reports something here that ends up happening to me.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I have only experienced this once. I lubed my latches and have not had a repeat performance.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Scotty what did you lube with? Silicon? I asked my tech if locking makes any difference and he said NO...

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have only experienced this once. I lubed my latches and have not had a repeat performance.

Spyder Garage

Taking the new RT home, 5 miles from the dealer and someone pulls alongside blowing his horn and pointing! Looked to my right and the lid was open. Back to the shop, 10 minute fix and problem resolved. Don't know what the tech did, but he DIDNOT shorten anything. Simply adjusted the position of the locks (he said). Now I just spray some silicon now and then and it cleans the locks up and all is well. Also, I learned not to slam the rear trunk or side cases to close. The trunk, I just set the lid down, then pop it with the heal of my hand to lock. Trying to close it any other way never worked for me. The air pressure when trying to slam it makes it impossible. The side cases, I just push them to just before locking, then use the side of my thigh and push to "click". Also, I always travel with my bags locked.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had one of mine pop open once... since then I shut them "fervently" and give a light tug just to ease my feeble mind... There's no doubt that the locking system has a lot of room in it for "adjustments"... the trick is in knowing what the right thing is to adjust!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It sounds like an adjustment thing to me also. I always drive with my bags locked. Have never had one pop open.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It sounds like an adjustment thing to me also. I always drive with my bags locked. Have never had one pop open.
    We lock as well. With those opening outwards, I wouldn't want crap strewn across the road.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Be careful when posting a thread that says "Need Opinions"

I've got plenty of them, you may not want to hear ;-)

I do, however, have a comment/question.

I've occassionally failed to latch either my side bags or my trunk correctly. Sometimes they open up immediately, sometimes they don't.
    But everytime, I get this big honking warning on the LCD screen telling me the door is open. It sure sounds like more may be wrong withthe latching mechanism.

I just whack them shut with exuberence.
    After 17K miles I've never had them open at speed. As I said, if not completely closed, they open right after I leave the garage before I get anywhere.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ThreeWheels;360233]Be careful when posting a thread that says "Need Opinions"
    I've got plenty of them, you may not want to hear ;-)
    QUOTE]
    Oh great! Now I'm all ears!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Scotty what did you lube with? Silicon? I asked my tech if locking makes any difference and he said NO...
    BRP specifies a "multi-purpose" lube. I use whatever spray is handy...or even some light oil or silicone grease. The dry-lube sprays seem to work well for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Again Repeating what one smart person said Locking them should have no effect on them if the locking set up is misadjusted. So locking them which many people said they did to prevent it coming open is doing nothing but making you feel better and it is just luck if they stay shut and it is proper adjustment that keeps them from popping open. I have noticed that if one of the three rear and side storage compartments is open or slightly ajar you get an error message on the dash or at least I do. Mine when I do lean against then to shut them make a definite clicking shut sound. One side of mine when I pull the side bag latch opens slowly all by itself slowly while the other side needs encouragement.

The key is how the latching mechanicism fits into the latch itself. Shortening the cable will only allow for more movement in the latching mechanicism and to my thinking it just the opposite of what you need to do to keep it from opening on the fly. Lengthening the cable adjustment may make the mechenicism open farther and latch more securely and that is what needs to happen. Good Luck because it sounds like your tech is wired backwards in his thinking? Bill

Spyder Garage

I would suggest that you do a combination of all of the opinions:

[1] Lube all latches/hinges with a good quality silicone spray.
    [2] Latch the side bags with a gentle/firm press until you hear the "click" of the latch mechanism - NO SLAMMING!
    [3] Lock all rear compartments to ensure they stay closed. And it's a good habit to get into.

Where I've been on my Spyder...