Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Never Wash Your Spyder!!!

I washed my 2010 RT-S this morning and when I finished and started it up, it wouldn't throttle up....it just sat there idling at around 1,700 rpm and when I twisted the throttle to full bore, the rpm's went up to about 2,200!!! So using my BEST coverage I had it "towed" in to SK Northwest, my local dealer. Just got off the phone with Brent, their service manager. Bottom line, according to Brent, when you wash the Spyder, be very, very careful not to use alot of water pressure because you will get certain components wet and this will cause problems. Also according to Brent, the Spyder is designed to handle rain, even heavy rain, but not direct hosing like you would normally do when washing your vehicle!! While this may be true, I find this very, very disturbing. I have put on close to a million miles (literally!) on my motorcycles, trikes and Spyder over the past 40 years and have NEVER run across a lame issue such as this. I love my Spyder very, very much (some would even say too much!)...but this particular issue has really gotten under my skin. Could I get some feedback from some of our mechanically inclined, please. Could this be for real?
    Last edited by Slybird; 07-26-2011 at 06:23 PM.

arntufun

I had a issue when I washed mine earlier this year. I washed it, then my sevice engine light came on and I had no power. It was only running on one cylinder. Come to find out the ignition coil went. This same thing happen to another member on this forum.

So yes your right, washing the Spyder at a car wash can damage your Spyder. I've washed every other bike I have owned without issue.

But, I still wash it at the car wash I just try to stay away from the coil and the dashboard now.
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I've washed my spyder more times than I have fingers, toes and what ever other appendages I have on my body. Admittedly I don't do pressure washing, but I do use a pistol grip sprayer on a normal garden hose.

I've never had any problems.

Chris

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

For the 20+ years I've owned & ridden bikes, caution while washing with high pressure hoses has always been the rule.

You may remember washing the engines of your cars to get the gunk off & found (normally too late) that your distributor is wet, or something else that didn't take too kindly to that car wash sprayer.

It causes problems, so be careful.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

But, I still wash it at the car wash I just try to stay away from the coil and the dashboard now.
    You tend to meet the most interesting people at the car wash
    But with all the electronics under the plastic I'll be very careful where you point a hose.

Spyder Garage

I was about to wash my new spyder with a garden hose for the first time. I am glad I checked the forum for 20th time today....Spyder addict

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Newbie View Post
    I was about to wash my new spyder with a garden hose for the first time. I am glad I checked the forum for 20th time today....Spyder addict

I'm not saying don't wash it, I'm saying be careful of where you put High pressure. My issue I had didn't make me stop washing it, it only made me more aware where high pressure water goes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I've washed my spyder more times than I have fingers, toes and what ever other appendages I have on my body. Admittedly I don't do pressure washing, but I do use a pistol grip sprayer on a normal garden hose.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'm not saying don't wash it, I'm saying be careful of where you put High pressure. My issue I had didn't make me stop washing it, it only made me more aware where high pressure water goes.
    +1.
    A tip for drying the Spyder is either take it for a ride, or use a leaf blower to get off most of the water using the above approach.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Twice a year wash.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Twice a year wash.
    Its gonna get washed tomorrow though.

Spyder Garage

I am going to use a bucket a cloth to be safe...after 2 month of riding, it needs a bath

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

washing a spyder?? people do that?

I have had to wash mine once and it jacked up the brake senor which sucked.

Spyder Garage

Default Washing is perfectly safe

Otherwise mine would be dead all the time. I wash it 1-2 times a week but I do not use any high pressure water. Only use the shower nozzle on the adjustable sprayer.

Never had an issue.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Twice a year wash.
    Whether it needs it or not, right?

Spyder Garage

A rubber flex hose nozzle will help prevent water from being forced into places where it might cause trouble.

Flex Hose Nozzel.JPG

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

when I used to work at an H-D dealership... I used to see people roll in with siezed up axle bearings ALL the time. pressure washed their pretty scoots...

the look on their face was pricelsss, when we told them what they had done. it's one of those learning curve things you have to get used to.

low pressure sprayer or the old " thumb over the hose end " trick. but a
    pressureed spray will clean out a sealed bearing, in just a few short washes. and with fly-by-wire controllers these days; it doesn't take much to cause a problem.

the leaf blower drying method works well. as does the blower side of a shop-vac. I very seldom fire up the trike after I've washed it. I just blow it off, dry it off, then let is sunbath for about an hour; and it seems to work fine for me.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clarification - wash your Spyders - - just be careful!!!

I'm sorry if I've caused some confusion, but when I washed my RT this morning, it was not at a carwash using a high pressure hose (I would never do something that idiotic)....it was in my driveway using an ordinary garden hose with a nozzle that lets you select the different kinds of sprays. So the RT didn't get any wetter than normal. However when I picked it up a short while ago, Brent pointed out the two primary areas to avoid (pictures attached). He advised covering these modules with plastic bags when washing (even with an ordinary garden hose) and to also avoid the dashboard and the switches area (parking brake, frunk release, etc.). So, ladies and gentlemen, feel free to wash your Spyders - - just be careful!!!
    Last edited by Slybird; 07-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In three years I have NEVER "washed" my Spyder and it is always spotless and shiny. I simply use a regular spray bottle with fine mist and the low pressure of a finger squeeze to get the water where I want. I then wipe it off with paper towel and finish with a soft cloth/towel and that is it. I do that every weekend or any day when I feel like it. I see absoultly NO need for power washing unless you are driving in mud or dirt roadsevery day.
    I am also conserving hundreds of gallons of water. One spray bottle lasts me 4 "washes".
    Last edited by mvengineer; 07-26-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue twice, with exactly the same things you explain--and was not able to get a good answer either.

First time, that happened after I washed my RTS. Garden hose, and low, rural, water pressure.

Second time, I was riding home in the rain.

I have ridden in the rain a few times since the last incident--and no problem. But have always been scarred it would happen again.

Something causes the engine to malfunction--like on one cylinder. It also felt to me like it was trying to start out in third gear instead of first. Throttle topped out at about 2200 rpms. also.

As time progresses--more of you are reporting this issue. I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem that has not been confirmed yet.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use Honda clean on my bikes .. and a good clean microfiber cloth . ANd then if i need to get like tires or rims i use a different cloth and bucket .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    washing a spyder?? people do that?

I have had to wash mine once and it jacked up the brake senor which sucked.
    You even got a prize for the dirtyest didn't you??? I have to admit Seth you REALLY SHOULD GIVE THE POOR THING A BATH ONCE IN AWHILE!!! All that dirt has GOT to be slowing you down!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

To me, washing a bike is kinda like hosing out the inside of your car!!!!
    There are too many connectors and electronics these days to risk it.
    BUT..I'm not a wet weather rider and usually wipe my machines down after a ride or before the next one.
    never had a problem and my machines are always sparkling.
    Water and electronics (especially handlebars) are just a no-no!!
    If I did get any suss parts wet i think I'd be using a hair dryer(warm) to clear out any moisture.
    cheers

Spyder Garage

Default Wet Spyder

The last time we were caught in a downpour,not riding, upon startup it acted as if it was running on one cylinder until I shut it off and started it again. This has never happened while in a downpour while underway.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167
    2011 RTS , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    same activities , no bad results..