Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have we confirmed yet what that whine is?

Is it the belt, or the front sprocket? I've seen numerous threads on it, but no solid verdict.

I've got 1,500 miles on my Spyder. Since day one, there's always been a whine/whistle sound between 15 and 18 mph either way, speeding up or slowing down. I usually don't notice / care much about it-- the smile drowns it out! -- but yesterday in stop-and-go traffic, it got under my skin, big time.

By sight and feel, my belt alignment and tension appear fine. I haven't checked the front sprocket yet (to be honest, I wouldn't know WHAT to check... I'm only modestly mechanically inclined).

I'd like to ride it out until my 3,000 mile service and ask the tech then, but is this something I should do something about now? Or is this something I simply have to live with as a Spyder "quirk"?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this as mine does the same thing. I was REALLY worried when I 1st got it until I rode another and felt the same thing.
    So I kind of blew it off as just normal. At least I hope it's normal.
    It is annoying though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Thanks for posting this as mine does the same thing. I was REALLY worried when I 1st got it until I rode another and felt the same thing.
    So I kind of blew it off as just normal. At least I hope it's normal.
    It is annoying though.
    While mine shows up between 15-18 mph, other folks report it at different speeds, but almost always below 30 mph (of course, it might show up at higher speeds, but good luck hearing it then!)

Spyder Garage

Default Whine

I just thought it was normal. Can I get it to go away?

Spyder Garage

I have the same thing on a 2009 SM5, I really never noticed the speed but it only crops up in second gear...please tell me its normal because I dont want to test the shop in the middle of the riding season...I have had a issue with my local shop with my BRP boat and the next closest shop is 1.5 hours away.

Spyder Garage

I'm bringing mine in for the 6000 mile valve check on Monday so I will ask the tech about the whine....
    I'm sure it's the belt whining and I've read some other posts that say a belt tensioner will alleviate the whine a bit but it doesn't totally go away.
    I will just live with it if indeed it is "normal".
    I will let you all know what the tech says next week.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Not saying this is the same, My 08 GS Sm5, Had a wine since day one,
    My dealer checked it out 3 times, readjust the belt' each time it just move where the wine comes in,The last time he said all belts wine he can't get it all out, ;
    Funny thing at 17,400 miles And out of Warranty [and on my dime +30 days to repair] The front sprocket and main shaft broke. Now that it has been repaired [1800+$] Guess what the wine is no ''more''

Spyder Garage

I have never noticed a whine in my Spyder, belt too tight or properly adjusted (to the current specs).

But I will pay more attention next time I ride.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stuff just makes noise
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    I have the same thing on a 2009 SM5, I really never noticed the speed but it only crops up in second gear....
    And it is very apparent, but it does go away as I get to the rpm's for 3rd gear. I just figure it's natural, and basically ignore it.

on!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Stuff just makes noise

Spyder Garage

Maybe passenger is source of whine???

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Maybe passenger is source of whine???
    I'll be sure to let me wife know you said that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    I'm bringing mine in for the 6000 mile valve check on Monday so I will ask the tech about the whine....
    I'm sure it's the belt whining and I've read some other posts that say a belt tensioner will alleviate the whine a bit but it doesn't totally go away.
    I will just live with it if indeed it is "normal".
    I will let you all know what the tech says next week.

The 'belt tensioner' is not actually that - it's an idler that runs on the under side of the belt to prevent it slapping, which is the cause of vibration at certain speeds depending on belt tension. With the original higher belt tension the vibe was not apparent at normal hiway speeds but with the now revised (lower) belt tension it can often be felt. All this is unrelated to any whining noise, however my SM5 has a slight whine at about 90kph which I attribute to the belt surface. All mechanical component and bearings are in as-new condition.

Overloaded bearing can whine. It would be a concern to me if the whine was at low speed as it may indicate to me that the drive belt was too tight. For certainty, have the belt tension set to correct tension - no guesswork.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, mine whines too. But mine becomes noticeable at 25MPH and on to high speed. it appears to be coming from the front but my hearing is so shot I can't tell if it's coming from the front or the rear. I just figured it was a mechanical noise from the tranny and was normal. But I noticed when I rode it late last week that the noise is getting louder and it's starting to make me nervous. Everything in the rear looks good, Belt looks fine, alignment looks fine, tension looks fine. She rides good, no friction or binding etc. so I'm not sure what to make of it. I have a bad feeling though...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    The 'belt tensioner' is not actually that - it's an idler that runs on the under side of the belt to prevent it slapping, which is the cause of vibration at certain speeds depending on belt tension. With the original higher belt tension the vibe was not apparent at normal hiway speeds but with the now revised (lower) belt tension it can often be felt. All this is unrelated to any whining noise, however my SM5 has a slight whine at about 90kph which I attribute to the belt surface. All mechanical component and bearings are in as-new condition.

Overloaded bearing can whine. It would be a concern to me if the whine was at low speed as it may indicate to me that the drive belt was too tight. For certainty, have the belt tension set to correct tension - no guesswork.

And the belt tensioner actually has it's own whine that's somewhat noticeable -- but I love the smoothness it gives me.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

And the belt tensioner actually has it's own whine that's somewhat noticeable -- but I love the smoothness it gives me.
    What a bunch of whiners

Spyder Garage

Talking Funny noises at lower speed

My 2009 GS SE5 makes a noise that appears when I'm puttering along toward the house. My street has a 25 mph speed limit. I can maintain 25 in 2nd gear if I hold around 3K rpm. No noise at 25 mph, however, if I let the speed drop to 22 or less and am still in 2nd the noise starts. When I down shifted to 1st, with rpm constant, noise went away. I'm guessing it is a combination of engine and other components getting together and creating a harmonic that is grating to the ear. Since it only appears under certain circumstances, usually lower speeds, I don't believe it is anything other than a quirk of my machine.