Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Salesman with no knowledge

Yesterday i went to the dealer to look at an RTS-SE5. Salesman comes over and starts telling me about the spyder. He tells me i can get a semi automatic transmission or an "automatc transmission. I asked him how the auto transmission worked and he said all i have to do is twist the throttle and nothing else!! HUH?? I guess i should apply for a job there since i know more than him about the spyder and don't even own one. YET!! So obviously i won't be buying a from them. The service dept. is probably just as clueless.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigsid View Post
    Yesterday i went to the dealer to look at an RTS-SE5. Salesman comes over and starts telling me about the spyder. He tells me i can get a semi automatic transmission or an "automatc transmission. I asked him how the auto transmission worked and he said all i have to do is twist the throttle and nothing else!! HUH?? I guess i should apply for a job there since i know more than him about the spyder and don't even own one. YET!! So obviously i won't be buying a from them. The service dept. is probably just as clueless.
    And so it begins!! Best of luck!! Ryding it is more fun than shopping for it.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Sid!
    Welcome to the show!
    Could the salesman have been talking about the bank "automatically" deducting the payment out of your account??? THAT they're pretty good at!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking

He is half right.. It "Does" downshift for you automatically

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

You do know the best salespersons are the ones that know nothing about the product they're selling.
    This way they can tell you anything stupid and do it with a straight face.

Spyder Garage

Scarry!-- I sure hope the lack of knowledge of the salesperson does not trickle down to the people in the service department.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You only get to make a first impression one time.....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the sales staff doesn't always reflect on the competency of the service department. At the dealership that I use for service I had a salesman tell me that the seat is heated on the RT (it isn't) but they have a very good service department. I'd talk to the service department and find out how many Spyder techs they have, how long do you have to wait for a service appointment how much their hourly labor rate is and make your decision on how you feel about those answers.

Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I would find out a little more about the service dept.before I would write the dealership off .
    Happy Owner

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

I was in my dealership the other day looking at the new Spyders when some guys came in looking at them. I began talking with them and telling them about the differences between the RS & RT (we own both) when one guy finally asks the price. I didn't know and told him he's have to ask a salesman. Turned out they thought I was a salesman. A real salesman then came over and told them that I knew more about the Spyders than any of them did anyway!

I love talking to people about them...

pitbull

These are pretty scary stories, good grief......... I am so sorry folks sone things should not be so. If your going to sell it take the dadgum time to learn it, then ride it, and the keep studying it! I promise at our store this will not be the case, and your bike will be setup right.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

You wanna buy in Florida.. then West Coast Powersports in Clearwater... Great service as well.

Out of State.. Then go for Cowtown in Cuba, Mo.
    Super super people.... even when an ole peep gets upset.

Spyder Garage

Years ago I sold Honda Motorcycles. My first and only sales job. The first day on the job the GM told me to take home a brochure on every bike and read it thoroughly. After that, he would ask me about the different bikes until he knew that I knew about them. When I have shopped for bikes over the years, if a saleman lied about the product (I already knew the answer to any question I would ask) I was a walk-out. You lie to me up front, what will you tell me if I have problems later.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    And so it begins!! Best of luck!! Ryding it is more fun than shopping for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    You wanna buy in Florida.. then West Coast Powersports in Clearwater... Great service as well.

Out of State.. Then go for Cowtown in Cuba, Mo.
    Super super people.... even when an ole peep gets upset.

Thanks. I live in Port Charlotte, not to far south of there. What about Seminole Powersports or Central Florida Powersports?

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

West Coast Powersports in Clearwater is the place to go!!!!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I live in Port Charlotte, not to far south of there. What about Seminole Powersports or Central Florida Powersports?
    Really don't know and have no experience with Seminole Powersports.
    As to Central Florida Powersports (Kissimmee), it is the sister company of Westcoast power sports. However, I ride 180 miles round trip to Westcoast Power Sports (Clearwater) for service etc, as opposed to 12 miles round trip to Central Fl Powersports.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had nothing but excellent service at Seminole Power Sports in Sanford. Ask for Ken and tell him that Chris Ray recommended.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He tells me i can get a semi automatic transmission or an "automatc transmission. I asked him how the auto transmission worked and he said all i have to do is twist the throttle and nothing else!!
    Oh, boy! You missed the opportunity to ask for a demonstration? NEVER miss the chance to show up a salesperson who is talking cr*p, watching them squirm like a worm on a hook is one of life's enduring pleasures!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Oh, boy! You missed the opportunity to ask for a demonstration? NEVER miss the chance to show up a salesperson who is talking cr*p, watching them squirm like a worm on a hook is one of life's enduring pleasures!

Spyder Garage

Default Salesmen and Service Techs

I am a new guy to the whole Spyder scene and only have 1000 miles on my new RT Limited so I don't have a lot of experience with my dealer yet. I went into this deal knowing that;
    1. This is a fairly new product
    2. There are not a lot of them on the street in Birmingham so
    3. The dealer here hasn't sold very many of them
    4. The dealer isn't going to have all the answers because they don't have enough experience.

For nearly a month before I ordered the bike I spent every night reading this and other forums. After I placed the order I visited the dealer several times and talked to the techs. I found them to be honest about their experience level with the product and someone that I could work with. I continued to read all the post I could find, espically the ones on problems with the bike. Before I picked the bike up I discussed a lot of the issues that I had read about with the sales manager and the service department manager.
    My dealer seems to be very open to everything I have discussed about my bike and is even considering contacting people like spyderpops and putting some of their add on stuff in his parts department.
    My goal is to try to help my dealer raise his level of service by helping him gain more experience. I hope other people will do the same so that in the future we have better service everywhere we travel.
    By the way, when I completed the purchase of my bike the young guy that handled the sale was amazed at my superior knowledge of the product he was trying to sell me. I got that knowledge from all of you folks who so kindly post your experiences on these forums.

Thanks for helping me make my experience a happy one

Greg Cain
    Birmingham, AL
    Last edited by gcain747; 07-08-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I always consider the service department as the most important part of any vehicle purchase. My dealership has an outstanding service department with a factory trained technician I have confidence in. I sometimes wonder about the folks out front, though.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I would find out a little more about the service dept.before I would write the dealership off .
    The service department is what matters the most, as they are the ones who will be taking care of you after the sale.

Best of luck in your Spyder hunt.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Really don't know and have no experience with Seminole Powersports.
    As to Central Florida Powersports (Kissimmee), it is the sister company of Westcoast power sports. However, I ride 180 miles round trip to Westcoast Power Sports (Clearwater) for service etc, as opposed to 12 miles round trip to Central Fl Powersports.

We go 125 miles one way to West Coast in Clearwater and there is a dealer about 10 miles from us who will cheat you, so be careful. Go to one you can trust to take care of your problems and not deceive you....West Coast is where I will always go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel pretty lucky here... four Dealers within an hour and a half and not a stinker in the bunch!