Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Position Sensor

Has any one had issue with a fault while starting your spyder, a check engine fault that is a throttle position sensor. I'm having the problem now and the dealer restet a value with the computer but did not help. If it happens I can only rev to apx 4000 rpm. Not fun. Bob
    Last edited by recordingguy; 06-14-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Have your dealer contact BRP. Lamont says there is a service bulletin coming soon.

Spyder Garage

Default throttle position sensor

I've had all sorts of problems with the starting of my 2010 RT-S SE5. after 65 days in the shop over 3 months and replacing the throttle position sensor, the handlebar controls, spark plugs, and the ECM the root problem was discovered when the right technician from BRP got involved.

The throttle body with the attached throttle body actuator was replaced and the problem finnally solved. BRP is in the process of updating software in order to remedy the situation, There apparently is a glich that may cause the throttle body actuator to burn out. Since it is attached to the throttle body the entire component/s has to be replaced if the actuator burns out.

No poroblems since replacement but I'm still waiting on the software update.
    2018 F3 , Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Position Sensor

Ditto boys - I have had the same problems in Australia with these faults (P1614) - Manual 2010 RT. Total of 3 months in and out of the workshop. ECM replaced, Fuel Pressure Sensor replaced throttle position sensor replaced, continual resetting of ECM. Finally BRP supplied a new and complete throttle body, this is an expensive part and I don't think they want to supply it in a hurry.

Well - now appears to be fixed - push for a replacement guys. There is a bit of a problem with them. The butterflies in the barrels start to stick a bit and that sends the computor in meltdown - pushing you into limp home mode.

I have spoken to my dealer about a software fix - beware, this is a mechanical issue. If there is such a software fix it will be to widen the parameters so the computor will put up with faulty butterflies.

Will keep you updated

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder was in the shop this week for this problem. BRP says there is a firmware update that will be available in mid to late July. There is also supposed to be a replacement throttle positioner available then, so the entire throttle body need not be replaced.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default throttle body

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    Has any one had issue with a fault while starting your spyder, a check engine fault that is a throttle position sensor. I'm having the problem now and the dealer restet a value with the computer but did not help. If it happens I can only rev to apx 4000 rpm. Not fun. Bob
    Had the same problem....dealer replaced throttle bodyand so far on problems.......seems to be a fairly common prob!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yup!

I have never had trouble, but my parents 2011 got to the point where they couldn't ride it at all. Been on the trailer for a few hundred miles (several trips to dealer). Bad dealer couldn't figure it out. Good dealer saw what was happening and diagnosed the throttle body (and the position actuator) right away. Talked with Carlo at BRP. Replaced, runs like never before. I felt so bad for them because they had gotten the more expensive RT-S and couldn't use it (until it was fixed of course).

Spyder Garage

The issue is when the throttle body gets hot the plates can get stuck and the motor will wind up burning out and then you're done. This is part of the "hot start fix" where the plates are held closed so no hot exhaust gasses finds it's way into the air box when both valves are open. The new software will back off the plates just a tad. if you never have this problem the software will be all you need, if your motor burns up you'll need to have the throttle body replaced.

Spyder Garage

This is what happened to my 2010 RT-S in West Glacier. It was towed to a great dealer in Kalispell, Jesco Boats & Power Sports. Because of the back order situation with a TPS they had BRP approve an entire throttle body replacement. Seems to have solved the problem, since we've put about 500 miles on the bike since we got it back Friday. The code it was showing was P1614.

By the way, the folks at Jesco really worked hard to get the part and then install it before the holiday weekend, despite being deluged with service requests on boats and PWC. I drove away from their shop at 4:00 PM on Friday.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default TPS Problem 2

My 2011 RT Limited had same malady and diagnosed as bad TPS. I couldn't even throttle it in 1st above slow walk. Dealer picked it up and has ordered me a complete new throttle body. He is making every effort to get it back to me next week for a planned trip on the weekend. Jim Potts Motorsports in Woodstock certainly goes the extra mile for his customers!!

Spyder Garage

After a few times in for service about this fault the shop had to replace the trottle body. The problem was intermitted and not all the time. The update software solution for this did not help the problem. Run's great now. Bob

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    After a few times in for service about this fault the shop had to replace the trottle body. The problem was intermitted and not all the time. The update software solution for this did not help the problem. Run's great now. Bob
    The warranty campaign bulletin specifies that if any of four throttle body related codes has been recorded, that the throttle body be replaced...in addition to the software update.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The warranty campaign bulletin specifies that if any of four throttle body related codes has been recorded, that the throttle body be replaced...in addition to the software update.
    So, is this something we wait to happen, or take it in and get it done? I've had no symptoms so far. Thanks

john
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    So, is this something we wait to happen, or take it in and get it done? I've had no symptoms so far. Thanks

john
    Check with your dealer first to see if they have the bulletin, update, and correct version of BUDS, but IMO any 2011 RT owner should get this done soon. This is a preventative measure. Once you have symptoms, it is too late.

Spyder Garage

Thanks scotty....so if no codes have popped only the software needs updating? am i reading that wrong?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Thanks scotty....so if no codes have popped only the software needs updating? am i reading that wrong?
    That is correct, the way I read the bulletin.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

so is this a 2010 repair as well? will this be a recall? or only when you have an issue?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    so is this a 2010 repair as well? will this be a recall? or only when you have an issue?
    This is a warranty campaign...not a recall. It only applies to the 2011 RT.

Spyder Garage

Are these campaigns posted anywhere? brp site?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Are these campaigns posted anywhere? brp site?
    No.

Spyder Garage

Default Software update

I picked my 2011 RT Limited June 30. By July 4th had 1000 miles on it. Took it to Big #1 in Birmingham for the 600 mile check up. I had not had a problem other than one check engine light for about 2 seconds. Dealer did the service and updated the software at the same time. I have put about another 250 miles and no problem so far.

Greg Cain
    Helena, AL