Thread: Oil Dip Stick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Oil Dip Stick

I was wondering if there is a difference in the SE and the SM Oil cap... I have a SM, and when I put 4 qts of oil for an oil change... and after all the start up and the rest of the process, my dipstick barely shows foamy bubles with the 4 qts ... I think that it should show 99% full on the recheck of the oil level. So I've been running over full, and now know why there is so much oil in the air box.
    So to get back to my question, are the two caps different in length?
    Glenn

PS... See ya Thursday!!!

Spyder Garage

Do you check the oil level when its hot ? I know the SE takes more oil then the SM. I find it best to just have the dip stick touch the oil as it helps keep oil out of the airbox . Pretty sure they are the same dipsticks .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I was wondering if there is a difference in the SE and the SM Oil cap... I have a SM, and when I put 4 qts of oil for an oil change... and after all the start up and the rest of the process, my dipstick barely shows foamy bubles with the 4 qts ... I think that it should show 99% full on the recheck of the oil level. So I've been running over full, and now know why there is so much oil in the air box.
    Glenn

PS... See ya Thursday!!!
    First the SM takes 4 and 1/2 quarts on a change, running over full is not recommended and in my experience if you replace your air filter with the Evoluzione racing air filter you're greatly reduce blowby in the air box.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default air filter

has already been changed to an K&N...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Glenn

PS... See ya Thursday!!!
    The Spyder actually takes 4.12 quarts. Believe it or not That .12 will bring it up to the full mark.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    The Spyder actually takes 4.12 quarts. Believe it or not That .12 will bring it up to the full mark.

SM5 takes 4.1 while the SE5 takes 4.4 quarts. Dipsticks are the same, the SE5 has the transmission filter section to fill up as well.

Spyder Garage

Just wondering...if you pour 4 qts for the oil change, or even 4.12 quarts, why do you check the oil? It WILL have the right amount of oil. Four quarts of oil is done deal. I check the oil about every 1000 miles after the oil change. ALWAYS check the oil after you have ridden a few miles to get a more exact reading. I check mine before I park the Spyder in the garage, after I have ridden.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agee dudley I check after coming home most accurate reading imo. I am using oil after about 1000miles from blow bye. add a little to get it on dipstick and call it good.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Just wondering...if you pour 4 qts for the oil change, or even 4.12 quarts, why do you check the oil?
    Good question, I guess it's something i do out of habit' Also i use the same oil in a few of my machines and use the Gallon jugs.
    So it's hard to tell how much oil is left in the jug when i go from one machine to the other. It's a make sure i did the math right check.