Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT-S Brake Failure @ 6,950 Miles???

Hey Friends,

Just last weekend went to a BRP dealer in Nashville and they told me that I needed to go back to local selling dealer to have brakes checked out as back brakes were wearing unevenly. Went to local dealer and they said premature wear was most likely how I was ryding...a set of brake pads gone in 7,000 miles? I asked about parking brake as was told that if it was hanging up would throw a code. I then asked about me possibly riding the brake and told the "Nanny" would throw a code for this as well...so how is it my ryding???

Anyone else have a problem like this or is this simply another case of BRP spending their "Warranty" money on me?

Please advise...Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I would call Carlo at BRP. If the dealer did not call BRP about this, but made the "it's your fault" call on their own, BRP needs to get involved. 7000 miles and your pads are gone....seems to be a real problem somewhere.
    Are you getting and squeaking sound when you ride? Not constant, but more like squeak, squeak, squeak.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

When I had my dealer install my new rear tire at 8,000 miles, he put a new set of rear pads on at my expense. I didn't question the decision, because typically brake pads are not a warranty repair and I had confidence in my mechanics decision.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just changed rear tires at almost 10,000 miles and also changed the rear brakes. I asked them to change the rear brakes if they would not last until the next tire change. The cost was minimal and saves messing with the rear wheel an extra time.

See you in Cuba

Spyder Garage

40K 24,000 miles 2 rear tires, 6 front tires same old brake pads. Still lots left on the pads ! I let the engine do a lot of my braking
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was told a month ago at sevicing time that my rear pads were pretty much shot... 3600 miles! I know that my riding style isn't aggressive so wha'ts the deal here with this???

Are the rear pads a tough thing to change in the comfort of your own garage? I don't mibnd buying pads, but at $85.00 per hour I'd rather not take it to the dealer if I can mangage this one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My rear pads went 20K on my RT and the front were still in good shape.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was told a month ago at sevicing time that my rear pads were pretty much shot... 3600 miles! I know that my riding style isn't aggressive so wha'ts the deal here with this???

Are the rear pads a tough thing to change in the comfort of your own garage? I don't mibnd buying pads, but at $85.00 per hour I'd rather not take it to the dealer if I can mangage this one!
    At 3600 miles you need pads? I think I might want to check with another dealer, especially since you are not an aggressive driver. Of course, if they are going to cover the replacement brakes under warranty, then I would go for it.

I have a 2008 GS (SM5) and I asked to have all my brakes changed (on my dime) b/c of the howling that many have had with their GS's. I have 12,000 miles. The dealer changed the back brakes; but, said I have about 80% left on the front. Since it was coming out of my pocket, I thought that was the sign of a good dealer to not just go ahead and change the fronts when I had given permission to change them.

Any brake noise I had is pretty much gone now with the 3rd generation pads on the rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a real good point... I'll give the dealer a call and see if it could be considered a warranty issue. Thanks for giving me another direction in which to turn!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Bob, I am appalled that mine are out at 7k miles roughly...at 3,600 I would be all over BRP! We both obviously have issues here!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I push my RT out of my barn, vs use reverse, I get a very low "eeck" with every revolution of the rear tire....brake pad? disc? I go in Thursday for my 600 and will mention it to the dealer. It does not seem to bind, just a low level squeak....is this a big deal????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a pretty normal sound that folks have been compaining about regularly here for a while now...

Spyder Garage

On the 2008 SE5 I changed the rear brakes at about 30,000 miles. They were pretty thin, but still had life left.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    On the 2008 SE5 I changed the rear brakes at about 30,000 miles. They were pretty thin, but still had life left.
    You're killing me with this sort of bragging!

...and I truly DO ryde like an old woman! I probably should be one of the last folks on the Planet to wear a set of brakes out!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Is that mostly Highway miles?
    I put 325 Thousand miles on a VW GTI driving into Manhattan every day' and only used 3 sets of pads,
    Once on the highway i didn't have to touch the brakes till the Lincoln Tunnel. I would Leave at 4am, return at 3 pm.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Is that mostly Highway miles?
    I put 325 Thousand miles on a VW GTI driving into Manhattan every day' and only used 3 sets of pads,
    Once on the highway i didn't have to touch the brakes till the Lincoln Tunnel. I would Leave at 4am, return at 3 pm.
    No brag. just facts. It is mostly highway miles...I do not live in a city (50 miles away). But I try to be an anticipative driver and use brakes lightly. Not a Spyder, but we had a 1995 Rodeo that had the brakes changed at 190,000 and still had wear left and the disks were perfect. Go figure.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

I replaced my wifes rear brakes@ 24.500mi. while changing rear tire they were not complketely gone but close, BUT I will say that is probably at 10,000 mi. pulling and stopping the trailer, new ads ARE NOt very thick from the start as are all motorcycle brakes pads , fronts still look at least 50% going to let her ride those to Alaska in a coup[le weeks. Beware of false profits selling parts and labor.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    Beware of false profits selling parts and labor.
    Holy crap... I never gave that one a thought! Thanks! Now I'm gonna have to get down and dirty and check them for myself... THANKS!

You idiot... always verify these things first!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, here is the outcome from BRP's warranty service at my local dealer. When the service tech pulled the pads, they were being worn in an inside-outside pattern, each pad was not the correct caliper measurements both ends, similar to the caliper push bushings were sticking. They stated that though not normal, the pads were normal "wear items".

However once the service technician told them the parking brake cable had "popped" out of the cam pulley AND the Nanny was throwing "Brake Failure Codes" they changed their tune and covered everything. I was happy but will keep a leary eye on these brakes in the future.

Keep an eye on your's so this doesn't happen to you. Brake Failure at 7k miles is Not Normal! See everyone in Cuba tomorrow evening!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider View Post
    OK, here is the outcome from BRP's warranty service at my local dealer. When the service tech pulled the pads, they were being worn in an inside-outside pattern, each pad was not the correct caliper measurements both ends, similar to the caliper push bushings were sticking. They stated that though not normal, the pads were normal "wear items".

However once the service technician told them the parking brake cable had "popped" out of the cam pulley AND the Nanny was throwing "Brake Failure Codes" they changed their tune and covered everything. I was happy but will keep a leary eye on these brakes in the future.

Keep an eye on your's so this doesn't happen to you. Brake Failure at 7k miles is Not Normal! See everyone in Cuba tomorrow evening!!!
    I think in this situation on the brakes they have to take the stance of not being a warranty item at first. However, with that said, had the tech known at the time of the original call about the added issues that are clearly what caused the issue. You never would have been told it was not a covered item at first.

MANY folks ride their brakes and has caused companies to not look at the miles necessarily, but more of the actual cause. Glad to read they made this right for you in the end

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    My rear pads went 20K on my RT and the front were still in good shape.
    Doesn't the bike have a brake system that applies EQUAL PRESSURE to all 3 tires simultaneously when braking?

That said, one would think (I know, thinking is usually what gets me in trouble ) that the 2-front tires would be worn equally with the 1-rear.....if not more so due to braking (stopping) efficiency being greater when applied to the front end (70%) versus the rear (30%).