Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Belle Center Ohio summer/ DeLand FL. winter
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Risers for handlebars

I was just reading can-am talks ,there is a post but a guy that had a riser installed and his shaft broke just below the nut when installing riser.by a factory tech with a torque wrench. (49nm) may be to tight or shaft to soft.wildwillie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wildwillie
    I was just reading can-am talks ,there is a post but a guy that had a riser installed and his shaft broke just below the nut when installing riser.by a factory tech with a torque wrench. (49nm) may be to tight or shaft to soft.wildwillie
    I've seen more bolts broken with torque wrenches than without. : I never use a torque wrench on stuff like that but I was a Ironworker for 20 years or so and I've torqued a few bolts in my day. ;D

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have seen more than a few cases in which fasteners are improperly heat treated... causing hydrogen embritlement. The bolts cannot withstand standard torque levels and even if they don't snap are frequently weakened and cracked.
    I hope this is not a systemic problem with one of BRP's suppliers.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    I've seen more bolts broken with torque wrenches than without. : I never use a torque wrench on stuff like that but I was a Ironworker for 20 years or so and I've torqued a few bolts in my day. ;D
    Big problem with the modern ratchet type torque wrenches is that people don't back them off when storing them. The spring inside eventually takes a set, and causes the actual torque to be more than the reading. I remember my first incident with this, installing chrome moly head studs in a dragster engine, with a borrowed torque wrench. Broke the HD studs! Put the ratchet up against a beam type wrench and it was way off. Now I alway check calibration of my torque wrenches against a beam wrench regularly.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    i mostly just "torque" people off! ;D :

ps..trap door spider count increase

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I decided to take a different approach to the riser mod. I installed some pullback handlebars and I am now designing a new center handlebar cover that will incorporate options for mounting a gps and xm radio and a cup holder, etc. The new cover will allow various choices of handle bars and can even be used with the stock bars and BRP riser if desired. Here is a pic of the pullback bars installed, awaiting the prototype new center cover and gps mounts. I will probably make 2 different sets of handlebars with different rise.

Mad Mtt ;D ;D

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trypod
    I put the riser on myself...took about 30 mins (except for dropping the top inside screw twice and having to go fishing for it, another story, another time)...
    How long does the install take, I have early instructions from this site that have you pratically taking the whole bike apart...but this post says only 30 minutes? Is there a change in the procedure that can shorten the time that dramatically? My husband hasn't gotten started on this project because of the time involved, but we've got a long ride coming up and I'd like to get it finished.

Any thoughts? Or change in instructions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
    How long does the install take, I have early instructions from this site that have you pratically taking the whole bike apart...but this post says only 30 minutes? Is there a change in the procedure that can shorten the time that dramatically? My husband hasn't gotten started on this project because of the time involved, but we've got a long ride coming up and I'd like to get it finished.

Any thoughts? Or change in instructions?
    TT, I don't have a service manual yet so i followed the directions that came with the riser. The instructions are very good and are step-by-step. The only nut i used a torque wrench on we the center nut putting the new riser on. The most difficult time i had was the 2 upper/inner screws (i kept dropping them down the neck). I would assume that even with minimal mechanical skills the job wouldn't take over an hour and a half. From what ya'll have done, should be no problem. As far as taking the whole bike apart, the instructions make it sound in depth but in actuallity all you are taking off are the clutch lever/cylinder (as a unit), loosening the throttle grip and sliding it back, then removing the bar cover (where your PE and # are), remove the clamp (3 bolts), lay the bar over, remove the yoke nut, then reverse the order, DONE!! Don't forget to put a cover over the "tank" and guage cluster to keep from scratching your baby. Hopefully, i haven't confused the issue any more. :

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Jim installed mine for me. Makes a HUGE difference - position was way to forward for my back. I am 4'10".

W

Wijllie

I've heard the torque NM in the installation manual for the riser is too high and will be
    lowered in future manuals. So I suggest not to tighten the center nut to much...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got my riser today! After reading instructions found out I needed a wheel puller.

Is that really necessary?

2faston3

Wijllie

Quote Originally Posted by 2faston3
    I got my riser today! After reading instructions found out I needed a wheel puller.

Is that really necessary?

2faston3
    Probably, the original riser is realy hard to get of

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When installing risers, do you need the wheel puller, cause I don't have one!

Thanks

2faston3

Spyder Garage

i used a harmonic balancer puller worked great :bigthumbsup:you can ushually rent 1 for a day at most auto parts stores for a small price.