Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Communication Review

When we got home from work last night our Sena's were here and waiting for us. I of course could not wait to open them up and take a look. I decided to mount the original mount and speakers in my fullface helmet and reserve my earbud mount for either my half helmet or a 3/4 that I am considering. IT was very easy to mount everything and install the speakers and took all of maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I paired it to my iPhone 4 with ease and was listening to music immediately. I saved the test ride for this morning. I charged the unit fully first and set out for a test ride. The speakers gave pretty good stereo sound and the phone was good too. I called Brian with voice command and we had a normal conversation at 65 mph. So far I am extremely pleased. We have yet to try the rider to rider out on the road but when we do, I will update this review. I also want to see how the sound is if I put in rider earplugs as I like to use those on longer rides anyway. If it is still good, I will go with this. If not, I will mount the earbud mount and use that in my full face helmet and buy a second earbud mount later for my other helmet. After all, the ability to use the earbud mount was a huge selling point for me on these Sena units. Also, the sound through the earbuds is always better then just speakers and for a long trip that can make a really big difference.

Here are some photos of the Sena with my helmet:

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have the same units. I love the ease of helmet to helmet. I find that the stereo sound reproduction, while not that of Bose or Sennheiser, is pretty darn good! I've paired it with all the crazy Bluetooth work I did on Darth (my bike) and it does really well.

I have knocked the mount enough times now that I really need to get a replacement receiver piece (the plastic that stays attached to the helmet) some day.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I love our Senas. So far we've just used them for front seat/back seat. Eventually we'll go bike to bike.

Ipod, phones, helmet to helmet all work splendidly with the Senas.

An economical purchase. Superior product.

Spyder Garage

Rode to work tonight and back on the highway. The Sena still sounds very good. I forgot to put in the earplugs to get an idea of the sound with them in. The wind and muffler noise is loud, not more than usual, but when trying to listen to music, it is really noticeable. So tomorrow, I will put in the ear plugs and continue my review. So far though, I just really really like this system.

Spyder Garage

Deb,

Did you get the single or doubles and where did you purchase? What all was included in the box with your purchase?

Spyder Garage

Default Connection Guide

Here is a helpful -- though not always clear -- connection guide for the Sena SMH10:

http://www.senabluetooth.com/support...tion_guide.php

ken tompkins

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have you rode with the earbuds yet? I have a half helmet and was curious about what you hear. Also, with the earbuds how do you talk rider to rider or talk on the phone? I'm looking to get mine soon so I need something that will go with a cb, zumo 665, phone and rider to rider.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We've got the Sena's and I use Klipsch earbugs with mine. I've paired it with the I-Touch and the sound is terrific and no problems with interference from wind, etc. I guess it depends on what helmet you use. I've got the HJC MaxII full face...You can use earbuds for all the features.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madozier View Post
    Deb,

Did you get the single or doubles and where did you purchase? What all was included in the box with your purchase?
    We bought from The Sena Store Got a great deal on a dual pack with one extra mount of your choice. So we ordered the extra mount as an earbud mount and then for another $37 ordered another earbud mount. In the box, we got 2 Sena units, two regular mounts with boom type microphones, two in chargers that also can be used as USB chargers, two 12v chargers and of course the speakers. There was also a sticky mount kit in the event you can't get the regular mount on your helmet. Here is What's in the Box

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLuv View Post
    Have you rode with the earbuds yet? I have a half helmet and was curious about what you hear. Also, with the earbuds how do you talk rider to rider or talk on the phone? I'm looking to get mine soon so I need something that will go with a cb, zumo 665, phone and rider to rider.
    I have not yet ridden with the earbuds but that is on my list for today. I rode to work yesterday with earplugs in to help get rid of some of the highway noise and it did help some. But regardless at speeds over 75 miles per hour, I just don't hear the music as well as I would like. This reason may be two fold, my helmet has always been kind of loud with wind noise and I have the Hindle muffler which is louder than stock. Also, I have the speakers installed in previous speaker holes which are quite deep and that sets the speaker quite a distance from my ear. For just riding around, and normal highway riding back and forth to work this will be just fine but as Lamont as mentioned in another thread, for the long trip, earbuds are the way to go. I will be putting the earbud mount on today and riding with it. I won't have it on my half helmet yet as it isn't warm enough here to go with that. But to answer your question about the microphone, with the one earbud mount you can order they give you both a booms style mic and a flat mic that you can attach to your helmet. Check out this site and go down to model SMH-A0304. Sena Accessories

I hope this helps answer some questions. I am really really pleased with this purchase. The music sound is pretty cool and it is in stereo. Our next step is to ride together and see how far apart our rider to rider communication is. We haven't had the chance yet due to our work schedules and weather conditions.

Spyder Garage

I just installed the earbud mount and thought I would share a few photos with you. In this first photo you can see where the earbuds plug in and you will notice an attached cap to put on when you are not plugged in.

The next photo just shows the bud plugged in.

And for kicks, these are my SkullCandy flat in the ear earbuds. You will notice once you put the bud in the ear, the sides are flat. This is very comfortable for riding with the helmet. You just drape the wire over the back of your ear and it is very nice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    We bought from The Sena Store Got a great deal on a dual pack with one extra mount of your choice. So we ordered the extra mount as an earbud mount and then for another $37 ordered another earbud mount. In the box, we got 2 Sena units, two regular mounts with boom type microphones, two in chargers that also can be used as USB chargers, two 12v chargers and of course the speakers. There was also a sticky mount kit in the event you can't get the regular mount on your helmet. Here is What's in the Box

I have not yet ridden with the earbuds but that is on my list for today. I rode to work yesterday with earplugs in to help get rid of some of the highway noise and it did help some. But regardless at speeds over 75 miles per hour, I just don't hear the music as well as I would like. This reason may be two fold, my helmet has always been kind of loud with wind noise and I have the Hindle muffler which is louder than stock. Also, I have the speakers installed in previous speaker holes which are quite deep and that sets the speaker quite a distance from my ear. For just riding around, and normal highway riding back and forth to work this will be just fine but as Lamont as mentioned in another thread, for the long trip, earbuds are the way to go. I will be putting the earbud mount on today and riding with it. I won't have it on my half helmet yet as it isn't warm enough here to go with that. But to answer your question about the microphone, with the one earbud mount you can order they give you both a booms style mic and a flat mic that you can attach to your helmet. Check out this site and go down to model SMH-A0304. Sena Accessories

I hope this helps answer some questions. I am really really pleased with this purchase. The music sound is pretty cool and it is in stereo. Our next step is to ride together and see how far apart our rider to rider communication is. We haven't had the chance yet due to our work schedules and weather conditions.

Thanks. I need to get something to connect with my GPS and Iphone before Cuba and these maybe the ones I order.

Spyder Garage

I rode today with the earbud mount and my earbuds in. Wow, that is the way to travel. My music sounded great and I was able to make and end phone calls with one click and my voice. I could hear really well and Brian could hear me on the other end. I only have one part of the review left to do and I think we may actually get the opportunity tomorrow. We both get out of work at the same time and I may try to meet Brian after work and ride home together. Then we can try our rider to rider communication. So far though, every part of this system has impressed me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena

Great review Deb. I have been looking at these units for awhile now. You just pushed me over the edge, thanks for sharing.

Rodger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena info

Thanks for all the info on the Sena communication systems. I'm planning a purchase and your info and replys were a big help

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had my Sena's since January and really like them. Unfortunately one unit failed the day we arrived in Cuba so we were without intercoms for the entire trip. The failed Sena would not power up even though fully charged.
    Now I need to get a warranty replacement for the failed unit. On the Sena web site they have an online form for warranty service which I submitted yesterday. 24 hrs later, no response other than a computer generated receipt. So I called their Tech support line and got a recording several times. Finally I called their Sales line and they gave me an extension to call. Got an answer but they told me they had a backlog and would eventually handle it by sending me an email with an RA #. When I insisted, they agreed to make an exception and send me the RA email right away..... Then I will have to wait while the failed unit is sent to CA and a new one shipped back to Tenn.
    Their customer service handling seems very casual so far. I sure hope it gets better. Its a shame to have poor service for such a nice product.
    *** Updated 5/20/11, The warranty replacement for my failed Sena module arrived today, nearly 3 wks after it was first reported to Sena. The product is great but service is very slow.
    *** Updated 5/26/11 In dealing with an issue re the Sena Helmet Clamp kit, I worked with the dealer, www.RadioRider.com instead of Sena customer service. The dlr resolved the matter immediately without waiting for me to send back the defective unit! I highly recommend them and sure would buy any future Sena gear from them.
    Last edited by cjackg; 05-26-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Followup

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    ...Their customer service handling seems very casual so far. I sure hope it gets better. Its a shame to have poor service for such a nice product.

It's unfortunate that many companies have customer support / service as their weak link....
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    "And for kicks, these are my SkullCandy flat in the ear earbuds. You will notice once you put the bud in the ear, the sides are flat. This is very comfortable for riding with the helmet. You just drape the wire over the back of your ear and it is very nice."

Can you provide more detail on those flat earbuds, including where to buy them? also, note that the above links to the Sena store arent working. Is that the RadioRider.com site ?
    Thanks,
    Jack
    Yes-- that is the site.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I could not make my mind up on the SENA or the UCLEAR, so I ordered both in to try (love no hassle returns, since nobody around here sells them so I could eyeball them)

I have decided to keep the SENA's and return the UCLEAR. They both seem from my small amount of testing to have good sound, connect easy, pair with Ipad music and Samsung Focus Windows 7 phone. The no mic boom you get with the UCLEAR is nice and it seemed to pic up my voice alright (though I did not get to test at highway speeds). The big factor that made the SENA win for me are the control differences. The SENA has the large round "jog" wheel, that is easy to use while riding with gloves on, etc... and seems to have easier key press sequences to learn to do various functions. The UCLEAR's smaller press in and hold raised areas were somewhat difficult for me to operate with my large hands/fingers and gloves on. I felt like I lost too much concentration on the road trying to operate/find them correctly. Maybe I just have big, clumsy hands and others wont find it as difficult, but for me the SENA is 10 times easier to use the controls on, and that one difference made it a total winner for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArkTerry View Post
    I could not make my mind up on the SENA or the UCLEAR, so I ordered both in to try (love no hassle returns, since nobody around here sells them so I could eyeball them)

I have decided to keep the SENA's and return the UCLEAR. They both seem from my small amount of testing to have good sound, connect easy, pair with Ipad music and Samsung Focus Windows 7 phone. The no mic boom you get with the UCLEAR is nice and it seemed to pic up my voice alright (though I did not get to test at highway speeds). The big factor that made the SENA win for me are the control differences. The SENA has the large round "jog" wheel, that is easy to use while riding with gloves on, etc... and seems to have easier key press sequences to learn to do various functions. The UCLEAR's smaller press in and hold raised areas were somewhat difficult for me to operate with my large hands/fingers and gloves on. I felt like I lost too much concentration on the road trying to operate/find them correctly. Maybe I just have big, clumsy hands and others wont find it as difficult, but for me the SENA is 10 times easier to use the controls on, and that one difference made it a total winner for me.
    The Sena also has various different helmet mounts--- ones that work well with earbuds, a wired mic instead of boom, etc....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone mounted the SENA on a modular flip helmet?

I'd love to buy the unit along with earbud mount, but I'm betting that my HJC SYMAX II won't close with the SENA on there.

Spyder Garage

Dan...

I have mine on a Shoei Multitec and it works fine though the mike boom is always some place where I don't want it. I can shoot some pics with the flip up if you want.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

Mine is on my Nolan N103 modular. Works great.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Has anyone mounted the SENA on a modular flip helmet?

I'd love to buy the unit along with earbud mount, but I'm betting that my HJC SYMAX II won't close with the SENA on there.
    I have mine on a HJC CL-MAX II modular and it works fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awesome. Guess what I just ordered?