Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on this Sprocket

As some of you know I have three spyders... 2 2008 SM5's and 1 2009 SE5. I am also one of the riders that is having trouble getting one of the 08's belt to adjust properly . It is either against the inner rear sprocket flange or at the extreme outside edge.

I adjusted two of the spyders belts... to about 1/8 inch off the rear inner flange... took all of about 1 hour for both of them. But this PE 0548 has been a nightmare. On three different occasions I have spent more than an hour and still no satisfactory adjustment.

Please look at these pictures and see if you see any problems with this front sprocket. Torque on the sprocket bolt is 89 Ft Lb and there is no play in the shaft bearing. Everything is snug just the way it should be.

Also the belt is between 220 and 240 on tension and the rear bearings seem fine... no play and no bearing noise.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Ken krb1945
    Last edited by krb1945; 03-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

could there be a problem with the belt.How much work is it to run belt the other way or try a new belt

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Sprocket looks pretty good. I'd start looking elsewhere. Rear sprocket/wheel bearings would be first on my list. Could also be bad belt or bad rear sprocket (rare).

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Rear sprocket/wheel bearings would be first on my list.
    when this bearing goes bad is "pushing" the rear wheel towards the left swing arm and is noiseless.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd try swapping parts with one of your other Spyders.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Heres a tip i read somewhere: jackup the bike off the ground and what ever you are doing that makes you take the belt off instead of using the adjustment screws to loosen the belt just remove the bottom bolt on the shock and the back part of the bike will pivot enough to remove the belt then reverse the process and the belt will go back to where it was no problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Belt alignment

Hope someone comes up with a solution to your problem because it would also apply to my 2008 SE5. Mine has been in the dealers twice without success. They told me that they have contacted BRP but have not been able to fix the problem. My belt also tracks against the rear sprocket. When it is adjusted so that there is a 2-3 mm space between the belt and the sprocket the belt moves in and out on the sprocket. The last time they worked on it they gave up after 30 minutes. They said it might be the belt as when they marked the belt and rotated the rear wheel the mark always showed up at when the belt was at the outermost location on the sprocket. Waiting for them to contact me with more information. Right now it rubs on the inside flange of the rear sprocket and that is what I have to live with.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt and rear bearings

This belt has even wear across the teeth/or ribs... no cracks or angle wear. There is no noise or play in the rear bearings.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and pull the rear wheel and belt off the other 08 and see if anything changes.

Thanks for the tips because when I see nothing odd or noisy or wearing at an angle I get tunnel vision. Ken krb1945

Spyder Garage

We're not supposed to reverse the direction of the belt according the manual, if I remember correctly.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Freddy, You are...

correct.

Every thing looks and feels tight as it should be. Rear wheel bearings are snug and no noise as they should be.

I am going to re-assemble it and try again. If it doesn't adjust this time I'll pull all the bearing out of the rear and install new ones.

Ken krb1945
    Last edited by krb1945; 03-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When you run your fingernail along the teeth of the sprocket, where the belt runs, do you feel a groove at all that your nail gets stuck on? I just had my front sprocket replaced because they were not able to get it to align properly and the belt wore a groove into the teeth of the sprocket. It also was filing away at the outer flange, and that is when it started making a horrible whining sound. They could not get it to adjust no matter what they tried, and BRP told them to put a new sprocket and belt on it. It appears to be running true now, although I was only able to ryde it home from the dealership before hurting my ankle. I am hoping to be back on it very soon.

Best of luck figuring out what is going on with it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderwolf did you...

replace the belt at the same time?

The one that won't adjust also has a bad low speed whine. Ken krb1945

Spyder Garage

Default belt adjustment

when the rear wheel bolt is tightened during adjustment it will tend to move forward on the right side. suggest using a lead hammer or plastic mallet and strike the right bolt end rearward as you gradually tighten. you'll know it's ok if the right tensioner end cap is tight on swing arm . will not happen on left side because the tensioner is working against the pull of the belt.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Actually, if you put the wrench (on the nut) at the bottom, where you are pulling rearward, you accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sylblk View Post
    when the rear wheel bolt is tightened during adjustment it will tend to move forward on the right side. suggest using a lead hammer or plastic mallet and strike the right bolt end rearward as you gradually tighten. you'll know it's ok if the right tensioner end cap is tight on swing arm . will not happen on left side because the tensioner is working against the pull of the belt.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'll try...

setting the torque pulling from the bottom when I get back to the south. I have disassembled all the rear and every thing is fit as a fiddle.

I am guessing the right side will torque the axle forward even if the weight is on the ground. Is this a valid assumption? Ken krb1945

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    replace the belt at the same time?

The one that won't adjust also has a bad low speed whine. Ken krb1945
    Sorry for the delayed reply Ken. Yes, BRP had the dealer replace the belt at the same time. It had actually begun showing some wear on the side of the belt from rubbing against the pulley as well. BRP covered it under warranty, and the dealer had to send both the pulley and belt to them after the repair was completed.