Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Ya'll are gonna slam me for this but....I haven't even test driven a Spyder, let alone the one we just bought in PA. So I'm not 100% sure how they handle or what to expect. In my mind I'm envisioning it to be similar to a four wheel ATV. Is there any truth in what I'm expecting? Or am I totally off course? (Be gentle please, LOL!)

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

PC is an abridgment of our right to free speech. Call it whatever you want. Welcome, and I do hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    and welcome! I think '08 and '09 were GS's and the '10s were switched to RS. I would just call it " my phantom", and enjoy the ryde!
    that's what I call mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

welcome and on your new !

David

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by awood279 View Post
    Ya'll are gonna slam me for this but....I haven't even test driven a Spyder, let alone the one we just bought in PA. So I'm not 100% sure how they handle or what to expect. In my mind I'm envisioning it to be similar to a four wheel ATV. Is there any truth in what I'm expecting? Or am I totally off course? (Be gentle please, LOL!)
    It is similar. If you have ridden an ATV, it will seem very familiar to you. There are differences you are going to want to be aware of. There is a skills course in the manual and on the DVD (also available on YouTube). Lay out some soccer cones or half tennis balls in a parking lot and do some practice before you hit the road in earnest. It pays to know the machine and its quirks and capabilities before you get stuck in traffic in an uncomfortable situation. A couple of days of practice, a little time on the secluded streets in your neighborhood, and you'll be hitting the highways and rush hour with confidence in no time. Enjoy the Ryde!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

You will love your new Spyder. Like you I took a motorcycle safety course, but never felt truly comfortable on a bike. So after having a motorcycle license for eight years, but mainly riding on the back of my husbands bike, I finally got my own. In March I got a 2010 RS-S and have almost put 4000 miles on it so far. I also strongly recommend doing the riding drills. My husband insisted, and we set up cones at an abandoned runway. Since I grew up riding four wheelers, I would say the Spyder handles somewhat like a Four wheeler. Have fun and ride safe
    Last edited by Lisbeth; 11-16-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much Scotty & Lisbeth. I will definitely sit down with my honey and watch the youtube video (DVD might not make it thru the resale) then go practice. We have some little cones we picked up for me to practice with after I took the MSF course. We'll have to put them to use again.

Thanks the up about my 4 wheeler notions. Good to know that I won't feel 100% foreign on my 1st trip out.

I do have to say.....1) this week is going to take forever! We pick up my Spyder on Saturday! 2) I wanna ride it! NOW!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by awood279 View Post
    Thank you so much Scotty & Lisbeth. I will definitely sit down with my honey and watch the youtube video (DVD might not make it thru the resale) then go practice. We have some little cones we picked up for me to practice with after I took the MSF course. We'll have to put them to use again.

Thanks the up about my 4 wheeler notions. Good to know that I won't feel 100% foreign on my 1st trip out.

I do have to say.....1) this week is going to take forever! We pick up my Spyder on Saturday! 2) I wanna ride it! NOW!!
    I know the feeling! I'm on business travel right now and I miss riding my Gray Recluse!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to the wild world of Spyders

welcome
    Hi Angela,
    I hope you enjoy your Spyder whatever you decide to call it! I never road anything before I bought my Spyder. Most the people I have talked to say riding it is very much like a snowmobile. When I picked mine up I went out into the parking lot and rode it around in circles at low speeds. Got it up to about 25 and slammed on the brakes a couple time. Did some slow full turns in both directions, and then went and got a hamburger. Took a ride that weekend with a couple other Spyder rides and at the end of 18 months had put 25472 on it. You are going to love it I am sure. I would get 4 or 5 hundred mile on it before riding 2 up.
    I don’t know about politically correct but I called mine everything in the book in the 18 months I had it. I told myself I would never own another one but in only took about 6 weeks without it before I bought another one.
    Have fun and ride safe.
    leoejr

Spyder Garage

welcome and Hope you can make it to fest in April

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have fun.

Congrats Angela,
    The spyder is certainly a blast to ride. I'm sure your daughter will love hanging on to you while on the machine. Have fun!

Spyder Garage

I know I am going to have to fit the urge to just hop onto it and disappear for a couple days! LOL!! Gotta take it to the local high school parking lot and get used to it first.

I told my honey the other day, "Here in a few weeks I will be done with Fall semester and then I don't have to go back to school for a month. Guess what I'll be doing while you're at work?" He said he was gonna hide the keys from me!

Good lord, it's only Wednesday!! I have a whole 3 days till we pick it up!!! I'm dyin' here!!!

As for Spyderfest, big trouble there! We have a MINI Cooper event that we attend every year at Fontana Village near The Tail of the Dragon (Minis on the Dragon) and it overlaps the end of April & beginning of May. So we're gonna have to pick and choose each year, I guess. Maybe one year MOTD then the next year Spyderfest.

However, I did notice on Spydertalk that there is a SITS (Spyders in the Smokies) which looks like it occurs at the end of September each year. Totally do-able! We already are planning on attending that one!! Anyone know the projected dates for 2011?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Has anybody had the guts to tell her that she's within easy rding distance to the Tale of the Dragon yet??)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dude! I totally know! We go there every year for a big MINI Cooper event. I really want to go to SITS next year too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now why didn't I remember that as a MINI owner that's like a trip to Walt Disney World? My bad...
    Well now you've got 2 good reasons to go!

Spyder Garage

You beatcha!!! Disney with much better rides!!!

Spyder Garage

OMG! I can't stand it! We are in route to PA to get my Spyder! We left the house at 5am. I could barely sleep last night!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome and on the new purchase. In addition to SITS, there is a SpyderFest in Cuba MO in April. 2011 will be the 2nd annual and, so far, 149 have signed up. We look forward to seeing you there!!

Spyder Garage

welcome ! ! ! ! Totally understand. It was MY honey that got us into Spydering for very similar reason - instant comfort on Spyder, even in traffic!!

Happy ryding!!
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome Don't let the cold keep you off the Spyder! I bought my '09 GS three weeks before I had my M/C license, had it my grasp but could not ride it

Spyder Garage

on your new . Enjoy every minute your daughter wants to ride with you.

Spyder Garage

welcome
    2013 RT Yellow
    2013 RST Yellow
    2011 RSS Metallic Orange / Flat Black
    2010 Limited Edition # 11 Black
    2008 RS SilverMoon
    2014 Black Current Rt Limited

[SIGPIC]SIGPIC] Happy Owners

Spyder Garage

So we made it home safely with my Spyder!!! Dang that thing is sexy!! I drove it around the parking lot of the dealership a little then my honey hopped on and I slid to the passenger position and we hit the road for a short ride just to test it out and make sure everything worked good. Everything was great so we loaded it up and headed back home.

We had an autocross event all day Sunday so I couldn't go play on it. Booooo!!! But I did take first in Ladies class at autocross so all was not lost.

Monday (after errand running) I headed home and was overtaken by desire.....I threw on my gear, checked the tire pressure, and hit the road! My intention was to ride up and down our country road a few times just to test the water. Yeah right!! I hit the end of our road and kept on going. It felt awesome!!!! I love my Spyder!!! I ended up being out for a little over an hour, cruisin' around on back roads and two lane highways. Not much traffic to contend with but a little here and there.

I love love love love my Spyder!!! (did I mention that?)

Funny thing...just to show ya'll how crazy & silly I am....On the way to pick up the Spyder I started singing (to the tune of Spyder Pig from the Simpson's movie) "Spyder bike, Spyder bike, does what ever a Spyder bike wants, because he's a mean & nasty Spyder!" LMAO!!! And it just downward spiraled from there in to more and more ridiculous verses. So....my Spyder is now called "Spyder Bike" and he has his own jingle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

welcome I'm glad to hear that you're having fun already with it!
    (You compared "the Tail" to Disney... my kid works there and he might argue a bit with you about that point... but he'd capitulate after a fashion! )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Angela. If it wasn't for my I wouldn't be riding today. Take your time getting used to it, I tended to oversteer at first. Just relax your death grip on the handle bars and roll with it and you'll love it.

Enjoy,

John
    sealfloorboards.com