Spyder Garage

Default Bad service and electrical problem

Took my bike in last Thursday for an electrical problem. Battery is discharging ever since they did the 6000 service. No problem before they did the service or after I installed the turbo.

Call Saturday to pick up the bike and the mechanic says they haven't started on it and then the manager says they did. Uh, busted. Love being lied to.

Now they can't find the problem and when I called they tried to blame it on the two wires from my turbo controller. The engineer at High Piformance says they are just grounds and the Aerocharger controller powers from the turbo.

Now they just call to ask me if I had the Overwear cover on the turbo when I came in because they can't find it. Are you sure you had it when you came in? Nice.

Unbelievable. I suspect my Spyder is going to last and be as good as my service department so this does not bode well. I had the first of a well known sports car in my youth and realized after the fact that its longevity was directly related to the incompetence and lack of experience of the dealer servicing it. Sigh. Love that bike but the handwriting is on the wall.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Meant to type Outerwears.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh man. So sorry to hear of your troubles. The outerwears piece sounds like a fairly significant or at least important piece of bodywork. I imagine it can be replaced but who is going to pay for it? I mean why would you bring the bike in without it on the bike? Makes no sense.

It sounds to me like there is a pinched wire somewhere that is the source of the drain. The turbo (in my opinion) has nothing to do with it. I don't think your bike is old enough to have a bad battery or charging system. But they see that turbo and it's an automatic out for them. "You modified it from factory original, therefore everything moving forward is your fault".

I wish you good luck in getting this resolved. Try to stay positive!

Spyder Garage

I presume they did it but always had this one doubt about the Spyder: the dealer network and service. Guess I may need to plan a ride up to Cuba MO. Heard nothing but good about Cowtown.

And I can't wait to see what they try and charge me.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default honda of tulsa

Did you go to Honda of Tulsa? I am considering going to Richardson for my service.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    Took my bike in last Thursday for an electrical problem. Battery is discharging ever since they did the 6000 service. No problem before they did the service or after I installed the turbo.

Call Saturday to pick up the bike and the mechanic says they haven't started on it and then the manager says they did. Uh, busted. Love being lied to.

Now they can't find the problem and when I called they tried to blame it on the two wires from my turbo controller. The engineer at High Piformance says they are just grounds and the Aerocharger controller powers from the turbo.

Now they just call to ask me if I had the Overwear cover on the turbo when I came in because they can't find it. Are you sure you had it when you came in? Nice.

Unbelievable. I suspect my Spyder is going to last and be as good as my service department so this does not bode well. I had the first of a well known sports car in my youth and realized after the fact that its longevity was directly related to the incompetence and lack of experience of the dealer servicing it. Sigh. Love that bike but the handwriting is on the wall.
    Finding the circuit that is doing this is pretty easy on the spyder as there are only so many compared to that of a modern car. All they have to do is put an amp probe on the battery and pull the fuses one by one until the load drops back into the standby range, and there u have your circuit to trace. Most dealers have no clue and just guess and don't bother or know how to do things right, this the same with some auto mechanics. Also if you have the orginal battery they are known for doing wierd things. Mine would sit for 2 weeks and the bike would start fine. Other times it would sit for a couple of days and the bike woudn't start at all. Replaced it with an Odyssey battery and no more issues since and that was a few months ago and I have never had to put it on a charger it just works all the time now even after sitting for a while.
    Last edited by lightman02; 10-06-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not sure where you went in OK, but I bought mine from M&W power sports in tulsa. They have done my inspections, fixed my bouncing fuel gauge, and 2 of 3 oil changes. I feel good in recommending them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Curly - thanks. I will give them a call when I return to Oklahoma. Carolyn

Spyder Garage

Honda of Tulsa. Does Dallas have a good rep?
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Latest is they are saying they found frayed wires on the trailer power assembly. They installed this. Curious to see the damage to my wallet on this and whether it fixes the problem. Still no bike.