Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS SE5 Clutch repair results

Got my Spyder RTS SE5 back a couple weeks ago from the dealer for the clutch repair work. I only had a few times that the Spyder actually quit on me when coming to a stop. Now that the repair is done, I have noticed 2 things that are now different than when I took it in:

1) when sitting at a stop with the Spyder in gear and I take my foot off the brake, the bike now creeps forward (both while in 1st gear and in reverse) as it would in an automatic vehicle. It actually gains speed with no application to the throttle. Before repair, I could sit at a stop in gear (1st or reverse) and have the bike stay without creep, given no slope.

2) When riding in 5th gear and slow down without manually downshifting, I can get below 30 mph and still be in 5th gear. It doesn't seem to automatically downshift until I apply substantial brake power. Before repair, the bike would downshift upon gradual slow down more quickly.

Asking the tech who did the repair work, he tried telling me that BRP is tweeking the computer settings to gain more fuel economy and that is now "normal" for the Spyder. He seemed more concerned that the bike was not dying or was shifting smoothly.

Has anyone else noticed these same issues and is this actually the way the Spyder is supposed to run? It seems to me, if that was the case, it would have been that way when I initially got the Spyder from the dealer. I now have 8200 miles on it and have loved it so far.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just returned from 1700 mi thru Canada/Glacier area

This was after the clutch recall fix and first my MPG had a HUGE increase...from around 25-27 to 35-40.
    On the following there is no consistency.
    But the hesitation between gears is more pronounced..twice from 4th to 5th it actually acted like it was going to stall out (didn't but I was looking for an escape route out of traffic). Have tried staying on the throttle and off...no difference.
    Also, sometimes after reverse it will go to N but then reluctant to go into 1st..other times hit N and it is automatically in 1st...
    Talked to dealership today and service manager..said don't have a clue...will look at it when I go in for replacement of my digital module (it died weeks ago) and squeaky brakes..
    If I find out anything will let you know.
    By the way..the trip was glorious...recommend highly for Spyder Ryding. Went North on 97 to Salmon Arm then onto Jasper then to Banff then to Glacier..with a ton of side trips at each location.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re SE5 Clutch Recall

Sorry to hear of your problem. We had the same issue after our recall. We also experienced an 800 RPM upswing on downshifting. Our dealer immediately jumped on it, called Can Am and after they verified that it sounded as though the tech performed the proceedure correctly, was ready to replace the recall clutch. The tech was determined to find the cause first, and found a clutch shim was out of spec causing the issue.

Once repaired the Spyder shifts like a dream .

Our dealer in Hamilton, Al. is very responsive, and a pleasure to work with!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    This was after the clutch recall fix and first my MPG had a HUGE increase...from around 25-27 to 35-40.
    On the following there is no consistency.
    But the hesitation between gears is more pronounced..twice from 4th to 5th it actually acted like it was going to stall out (didn't but I was looking for an escape route out of traffic). Have tried staying on the throttle and off...no difference.
    Also, sometimes after reverse it will go to N but then reluctant to go into 1st..other times hit N and it is automatically in 1st...
    Talked to dealership today and service manager..said don't have a clue...will look at it when I go in for replacement of my digital module (it died weeks ago) and squeaky brakes..
    If I find out anything will let you know.
    By the way..the trip was glorious...recommend highly for Spyder Ryding. Went North on 97 to Salmon Arm then onto Jasper then to Banff then to Glacier..with a ton of side trips at each location.
    The increase in gas mileage would be great if is remains consistent. I haven't been on any trips yet since the clutch repair to check. I average about 30 pulling the trailer.

Still need to take it in for the guage recall, my analog dial tach has worked intermittently since new. The tech says there is a backorder on the parts with no expected availability. He did say something about the shims when we took it in for the clutch work. He had said the shims had not arrived yet but thought he could do the repair work without. Will keep on him about the clutch issues as this sounds like it may be part of the problem. Have you had the creep issue while at a stop?

Yes the ride north on 97 to Salmon Arm into Jasper and Banff and Glacier is a beautiful trip. Did that same trip in May. Timed it with Victoria Days put on by Gold Wing Road Riders Association Chapter BC-G out of Kamloops in Salmon Arm the weekend before Memorial Day. Plan on going next May, vacation time permitting, as there is lots of great riding in the Salmon Arm area.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re SE5 Clutch Recall

That in fact was our first inkling that things were not right. We went about 200 miles to make sure that it was not a wear in issue. Creeping continued at lights, and just at idle in the garage, both in 1st or reverse.

The hesitation you mention, we have had since new. We have mentioned it but they could not duplicate, nor were there any codes. To my husband it feels as though the throttle by wire hits a glitch and resets. We are guessing the extreme heat we have had this summer may be at fault. Digital temp has been as high as 112, and normally 102 if we stop riding by 1 pm.

We are going to continue to pursue this with our dealer when we have the stage 3 brake pads installed next week. We will follow up and let you know if there is any resolution.
    Last edited by RTS Pilot; 08-26-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add picture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTS Pilot View Post
    That in fact was our first inkling that things were not right. We went about 200 miles to make sure that it was not a wear in issue. Creeping continued at lights, and just at idle in the garage, both in 1st or reverse.

The hesitation you mention, we have had since new. We have mentioned it but they could not duplicate, nor were there any codes. To my husband it feels as though the throttle by wire hits a glitch and resets. We are guessing the extreme heat we have had this summer may be at fault. Digital temp has been as high as 112, and normally 102 if we stop riding by 1 pm.

We are going to continue to pursue this with our dealer when we have the stage 3 brake pads installed next week. We will follow up and let you know if there is any resolution.
    welcome keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

So I take my RT in tomorrow for the clutch recall even though I have had no issues. I like that I can have my bike in 1st gear and have the foot off the brake at a stop light.. I don't care about no stinking gas mileage.

Question, When they do the clutch repair I was told by the dealership they have to replace the engine oil is that right? I am also having my 9K mile service done too. So if they have to change the oil anyway, I presume a new filter too? or no.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    Well, I had the clutch update for rollers done in May. I have 5000 miles on and the last 200 miles were terrible in the clutch department. Dead stalls between all shifts, locked in 3rd and 2nd on downshift. Notice it the worst when I have to come to a quick stop. The thing needs CLUTCH work for sure.
    How's your oil level?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Recall Repair succesful!

I was able to have the recall clutch work completed a few weeks ago by Greg and his team at Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge, VA. It was obvious within the first few miles that it was a dramatic improvement in shifting. I have put around 800 miles on our RT since and I am very pleased, the shifting both up and down is much smoother with very few clunky shifts and those only at very low RPMs. I called Greg today to give him the feedback and he was going to pass the feedback on to Can Am. I remian a very happy Spyder RT owner.