Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

well it is official it is the stearing box wont be in tell Dec 3 hope they have one in stock and i dont have to waite like some ove you have. Even though the weather here is not good i still would rather ryde my spyder than drive my truck

Spyder Garage

I took it to the dealer again yesterday. Even before they looked at it, I was told:

- there's nothing left to replace
    - stiff turning is a characteristic of the Spyder
    - maybe it's the VSS kicking in

They gave me another Spyder to ride, but I couldn't get it to do the same thing. The technician said he couldn't tell the difference in steering between the two bikes.

I called the overall service manager of the three dealer locations. He asked me to bring it to a second location and he'll have it transported to the third location, so his most-knowledgeable tech can look at it.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    After 10 swerves, the DPS failed and the steering went stiff. I powered-off the Spyder to reset the DPS and tried again. After 36 swerves, it went stiff again.

I had a loose ground once that caused the DPS to turn off and kick in again randomly. I had loosened the ground under the seat and didn't have it all the way tight again. After someone here mentioned check all grounds I retightened and it has been fine since.

Spyder Garage

The regional service manager just called to let me know he'd like me to come in for a test ride. They adjusted the steering angle sensor and the steering torque sensor. I probably won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday (too cold today and too raining tomorow).

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Wow, I didn't think it would take this long to make an update. When I picked up my Spyder on 12/9, I knew as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot that the power steering was still not working. I was so discouraged, I just updated my signature with, "Riding with intermittent power steering since 10/27/09."

That seemed to get some attention, because a few months ago, Carlo called me unsolicited. I told him about my issues and he agreed that stiff turning is not a characteristic of the Spyder. He suggested I take it to a different dealer. I knew I was coming to Georgia in June, so I bided my time.

I had the pleasure of finally riding with another Spyderlover this past Saturday. I was telling SpyderWolf about my power steering issues and asked if he'd take mine for a ride and give me his opinion. I think he was on it all of 30 seconds before he came back and told me there was no power steering. We stopped by Tomberlin Outdoor (3125 Washington Road, Augusta GA 30907) and talked to Chris, their Spyder tech.

Chris was very cordial as he listened to my backstory. He asked me to leave it when I could, but warned it was boat season and may take a few days to clear some space to work on the Spyder. I told him I'd be back in a few days.

Well, today was the day. I dropped it off and Chris told me it would probably be Tuesday before he got a chance to look at it. I asked him to take good care of me and told him I'll be reporting on their service on spyderlovers.com.

Certified Huligan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Given this time of year the air in the tires can go up and down often. I had the chk dps come on about 2 weeks ago and had just change rims a week prior to that without issue. went to shop for 6000 mile service. The shop told me there was a loose wire and it was ok. then about 3-4 days later I was out on a long ride when the would only steer straight easy. turn left or right was a bear. so back to shop only to discover that tire pressure was down to 10. I had checked a few days prior. I have learned not to trust the tire gauge that came in tool kit now!
    keep psi at 17 works like a charm!

Spyder Garage

Well, it's been two days since Tomberlin said they'd look at the Spyder. Since it was a holiday weekend, I gave them a full calendar week before calling back to get a status.

When I called at lunch time, I spoke with the guy that runs the parts/service counter (I think his name may be Jeremy, but I'm unsure) and asked for an update. He put me on hold for a minute, then came back and told me there were 7-8 units in front of mine and it may be a few weeks before they can get to it. I asked why Chris (the Spyder tech) said he'd look at it Tuesday and he said he didn't know why Chris would say that. He then said I could come get the Spyder if I needed it, but that I would lose my place in line.

I asked for a best guess as to when they'd be able to look at it. He put me on hold again and came back a few minutes later to tell me they were pulling it into the shop now. I asked how I could go from 7th or 8th in line to next, but he said he didn't know.

I confirmed that I would be receiving a call later today after they hooked it up to BUDS and ended the call.

From this conversation I conclude one of two things: either they are disorganized or they remembered I planned to write about their service on this forum.

I'll post an update tonight if they call.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Well, it's been two days since Tomberlin said they'd look at the Spyder. Since it was a holiday weekend, I gave them a full calendar week before calling back to get a status.

When I called at lunch time, I spoke with the guy that runs the parts/service counter (I think his name may be Jeremy, but I'm unsure) and asked for an update. He put me on hold for a minute, then came back and told me there were 7-8 units in front of mine and it may be a few weeks before they can get to it. I asked why Chris (the Spyder tech) said he'd look at it Tuesday and he said he didn't know why Chris would say that. He then said I could come get the Spyder if I needed it, but that I would lose my place in line.

I asked for a best guess as to when they'd be able to look at it. He put me on hold again and came back a few minutes later to tell me they were pulling it into the shop now. I asked how I could go from 7th or 8th in line to next, but he said he didn't know.

I confirmed that I would be receiving a call later today after they hooked it up to BUDS and ended the call.

From this conversation I conclude one of two things: either they are disorganized or they remembered I planned to write about their service on this forum.

I'll post an update tonight if they call.

Been there... Sounds like that repair shop is "flying by the seat of their pants". It stinks when you lose trust / confidence in someone and this is exactly the kind of thing that makes me start doubting just about everything people in service tell me.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is definitely not what I wanted to hear, and the main reason we stopped and talked to the tech in person before you leaving your Spyder with them. I am now wondering if the 7-8 machines in front of you, and it will take weeks, has become the standard answer for them to get people off the phone? As I told you, and was reported on this forum, that is what they did to GA-Spyder as well.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, Chris sounded like he knew what he was talking about. It is obvious your power steering is not working, and hopefully he will say the same thing and get it fixed for you, unlike your dealership back home. My only concern for you now is how long it will take, as he said once he orders parts the Spyder has to stay there.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated. I am still looking for a dealer I can trust to work on my Spyder, and the numbers are dwindling rapidly between musicarcade's experience and your own with dealers close to me.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the slow response...

They called Friday while I was in class and left a voicemail saying they found nothing wrong and to come pick it up. When I went in that afternoon, I talked with Chris and he said they found no codes or recalls and the test ride checked out OK.

There's only 5 turns between the dealer and my apartment and the DPS failed somewhere after the second turn.

I recall several people, including Chris, telling me some DPS problems were related to a bad ground. I had been having a "low battery" warning at idle for a few months and had been ignoring it. I read several threads here about how the stock battery was crap and wasn't designed to be laid on its side. I had planned to buy a replacement, but didn't have the money.

Thinking about the two issues, I put two and two together and hoped they added up to four. I got out the toolkit and tore off all the plastic. I then proceeded to disconnect, clean, and reconnect every connector and screw that I could find in the electrical system.

Since I had the afternoon off, I decided to go to St. Augustine, Florida for the weekend. I'm happy to say the DPS worked the entire time and I didn't see any low battery warnings.

Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Low speed power steering failure

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Did it display any codes? Did your steering go out of whack?
    >SNIP<
    . I'd hope it went away but I am not taking any chances for it to happen again. Thanks to this forum, reading about everyone else, made me think that I should call the dealer and bring it in.
    I have only had my RT-S just over three weeks. It goes to the dealer Friday (700+miles) for its first check up. Thanks for all the posts. Mine is the only Spyder I have ridden so I have nothing to compare my steering with. However, it does seem somewhat stiff in the turns but handles very nicely on the straight way. RPM Motor Sports in Denver seems to be a long standing and reputable dealer and have treated me well. I'll see how they are at service.
    Les

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    I had a loose ground once that caused the DPS to turn off and kick in again randomly. I had loosened the ground under the seat and didn't have it all the way tight again. After someone here mentioned check all grounds I retightened and it has been fine since.
    I had my steering stick at 10,000 miles and then get very twitchy, pulled both fuses and rode home, loosened and retightened the ground under the seat, as i read it worked on another spyder, that was a year ago and haven't had a problem since, no updates done either, too scared," if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for the slow response...

They called Friday while I was in class and left a voicemail saying they found nothing wrong and to come pick it up. When I went in that afternoon, I talked with Chris and he said they found no codes or recalls and the test ride checked out OK.

There's only 5 turns between the dealer and my apartment and the DPS failed somewhere after the second turn.

I recall several people, including Chris, telling me some DPS problems were related to a bad ground. I had been having a "low battery" warning at idle for a few months and had been ignoring it. I read several threads here about how the stock battery was crap and wasn't designed to be laid on its side. I had planned to buy a replacement, but didn't have the money.

Thinking about the two issues, I put two and two together and hoped they added up to four. I got out the toolkit and tore off all the plastic. I then proceeded to disconnect, clean, and reconnect every connector and screw that I could find in the electrical system.

Since I had the afternoon off, I decided to go to St. Augustine, Florida for the weekend. I'm happy to say the DPS worked the entire time and I didn't see any low battery warnings.

Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix.
    Glad to hear it is working for now, and keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way for you.

Spyder Garage

One week and no power steering failures so far. It's nice to be able to ride it hard enough to see the VSS kick in. I was riding the inside line on an interstate cloverleaf at 45 MPH today and was hanging off like a sidecar monkey.
    Last edited by ArmyJoe; 07-18-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One week and no power steering failures so far. It's nice to be able to ride it hard enough to see the VSS kick in. I was riding the inside line on an interstate cloverleaf at 45 MPH today and was hanging off like a sidecar monkey.
    Glad to hear things are still working well for you. on being able to steer your Spyder now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Glad to hear things are still working well for you. on being able to steer your Spyder now.

Thanks. Too bad I can't get BRP to compensate me for pain, suffering, and mental anguish.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. Too bad I can't get BRP to compensate me for pain, suffering, and mental anguish.
    One bonus is that they helped make you stronger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stealth11 View Post
    If I may - why not just disable the DPS? Seems like an unnecessary and troublesome spyder accessory.
    Riding with and without the DPS is like night and day.

Let's say you're driving through a parking lot and someone backs up in front of you or a kid runs out between the cars. Would you like to just barely miss someone or just barely hit someone?

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

I guess that was what I wanted to know, I was curious on what the effects of disabling were. Have you actually tried this? I am guessing the servo would also need to be removed?
    No, just pull a fuse to disable the DPS manually. See posts 47 and 49 in this thread.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you pull the fuse does the servo add some resistance or is that not the case?
    I can tell you when I test rode his Spyder without the power steering it was a totally different experience, and one I was not expecting and did not like since being used to ryding mine. You could still perform evasive maneuvers, but without anywhere near the response time you could with mine. It would also be a great workout tool, as you couldn't help but get stronger as you continued to muscle it around.

I don't know if the servo was adding resistance, but the steering was extremely tight.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I guess I am curious as I used the caster figures from the CA when I built mine. The Stealth is running 14 degrees and the V3 10 which is the same as the CA.
    The Stealth does provide pretty fair feedback which I like as it helps prevent the lawn dart effect. The V3 on the other hand handles real light and I normally drive one handed as it steers like it weighs half of what the ST does. This is why I wonder if this DPS is really needed or if it's just something one gets used to and doesn't want to do without.
    It seems to be somewhat troublesome and from what I have read perhaps more dangerous than doing without.
    At least that's an outsiders view.
    Good points, and questions.

It could very well be that I am just used to mine steering so quickly and smoothly. I have read of others on here who have ridden many miles without power steering and it didn't seem to bother them too much. So, it very well could be a preference thing. Truth be told, if I hadn't had my Spyder and GIJoe's was the first one I ever got on I would not have known any better and figured that was they way they were supposed to steer.

The good news is we are in the middle of ryding season, and the reports of steering issues appear to have fallen off dramatically. Hopefully the new part number DPS units are the real solution to the earlier issues, and eventually the steering problems will go completely away. One can always hope.