Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any taller ryders out there?

Just curious if there are any ryders 6'3" or taller out there and how comfortable they are on the RT on longer rides. Thanks.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Not me, but welcome

Spyder Garage

Not me ! Butwelcome On.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Barefoot I am 6'2" - 225ish... With riding boots I am closer to 6'5"... My knees are in a bent state similar to a crotch rocket when sitting as far back on the driver seat as possible.

I put the Kewl Metal HWY pegs on with using only the 4" bracket they supply... It is the only reason can drive for over an hour. Otherwise my knees force me off the bike.

Very pleased with the comfort... But I think another two inches taken off the back of the drivers seat would be perfect
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 06-30-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agado07 View Post
    Just curious if there are any ryders 6'3" or taller out there and how comfortable they are on the RT on longer rides. Thanks.
    I'm 6'6", 225. If you can wait until next week, I'll let you know how I fared on the completely stock setup on my OB RT-S this weekend. We're moving from San Antonio to Dayton, Ohio, so I'll have a good number of hours and miles in the saddle. I rode a lot on my '08 SM5, and ended up getting a custom seat mod done. So far (1600 miles), I've been pleased with the setup, but the ability to change leg positions, at least on mine, seems limited by the blow torch that jets out the right side precisely where the ESI wings would sit had I a pair. Luckily, my issues are in my back, not my knees, so other than a Utopia, I have no immediate plans to switch.

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    I'm 6'6", 225. If you can wait until next week, I'll let you know how I fared on the completely stock setup on my OB RT-S this weekend. We're moving from San Antonio to Dayton, Ohio, so I'll have a good number of hours and miles in the saddle. I rode a lot on my '08 SM5, and ended up getting a custom seat mod done. So far (1600 miles), I've been pleased with the setup, but the ability to change leg positions, at least on mine, seems limited by the blow torch that jets out the right side precisely where the ESI wings would sit had I a pair. Luckily, my issues are in my back, not my knees, so other than a Utopia, I have no immediate plans to switch.
    I am 6'6" tall also. I have about 3000 miles on my RT, with several trips to the coast, round trip about 250 miles and have not any issues with leg position. I would like to have a highway peg position but the heat on the right is painful. Looking into some sort of lower leg chap to protect it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Dayton. I am retired USAF. the base has a club that is trying to go with The Green Knights

Old Man Zues

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

welcome

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Tall and HAPPY

I'm 6'-5", 230 lbs. and 65 years old. Love my ridding position. Havan't see any need to add highway foot rests. My lower back gets tired on long rides but I have a new Utopia back rest and will be installing it soon. Discovered during a long trip with my golf clubs in cross position in passenger seat that it provided a great back rest and that's when I ordered the Utopia back rest. During that ride, my back was very comfortable to entire trip. I have 4500 miles on my Rt with the longest trip of 625 miles in one day. I haven't noticed any heat problems with right side. The heat from the radiator seems to go out far enough to bypass my leg position. Heat experienced on the left side during a trip to Colorado but found it to be an exhaust leak (after exhaust header broke entirely). Seems to be considerable heat from under machine and I think this is due to all the tupperwear around the engine and exhaust holding the heat inside the middle portion of the RT. Will be applying wrap to my exhaust pipes this winter to releive some of the heat. Ride the RT every day (weather permitting) and LOVE IT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tall ryder

I'm 6'3"+ without the boots and I have noticed the angle in my knees ryding my RT. I do get stiff on freeway rydes of one hour plus. I've had several abdominal surgeries which makes sitting slightly bent foward uncomfortable for more than a short ryde. It seems freeway pegs may be the answer. I'll be going to the Corbin factory with the NorCal group...they make a wide range of goodies for bikes. Perhaps they'll have a good solution. If so I will share.

Keep the rubber side down!

Spyder Garage

Default Riding Comfort

I'm 6'2" 245lb. I have a total left knee replacement. We just took a 860 mile trip. We have a corbin seat with back rest. I had no problems, the back rest was a life saver. Corbin makes the best back rest, which conforms to your back. As for my knee and the foot pegs we had no problems. We have found over the years traveling on bikes that you need to take time out and stretch to enjoy the ride. (about every 70 miles for us)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    I am only 5-11 and the set back placement of the stock foot rests is------in my opinion-------bad for any long cruising. I will definitely be doing some sort of highway peg setup soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The seat needs 2-3 inch set back also.
    Just a question on that diamond R armrest. Where did you get it I have tried to find it and haven't had any luck. I've been on there web site but did not find it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Update: I've been on the RT-S for the last three days, two days in pouring rain, and today in the beautiful sun, so I've had a variety of gear on, and for the most part, I've been very pleased with the setup. I did, after three or so hours, decide to test the 'wing' foot position again. Still hot, but by pulling my foot back so the jet hits the midfoot instead of on the leg, it is tolerable, so I had options. I also tried the passenger seat, which was a relatively regular choice before I swapped seats on my RS. Doable, but I'll probably not resort to it, given the shorter period between fillups.
    So, bottom line - not gonna change. I like it.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Update: I've been on the RT-S for the last three days, two days in pouring rain, and today in the beautiful sun, so I've had a variety of gear on, and for the most part, I've been very pleased with the setup. I did, after three or so hours, decide to test the 'wing' foot position again. Still hot, but by pulling my foot back so the jet hits the midfoot instead of on the leg, it is tolerable, so I had options. I also tried the passenger seat, which was a relatively regular choice before I swapped seats on my RS. Doable, but I'll probably not resort to it, given the shorter period between fillups.
    So, bottom line - not gonna change. I like it.
    Most comfortable thing I ever rode...but as Lamonster noted after I tried out his Corbin seat and backrest, without success...I'm not normal!