Thread: helmet lock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default helmet lock

Hey guys,

Anyone using a helmet lock that is not mounted on the handlebars? I currently have the upgraded BRP grips and anti vibration kit with caps and would like to leave as is but add a helmet lock somehow somewhere. Any thoughts?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I have stuck them over the mirrors and used our PacSafe retractable cable locks in full face helmets. Looks like you could do a single over the backrest with a cable to the grab bars, too. We also use a PacSafe helmet bag sometimes when the trunk is full.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spy08 View Post
    Hey guys,

Anyone using a helmet lock that is not mounted on the handlebars? I currently have the upgraded BRP grips and anti vibration kit with caps and would like to leave as is but add a helmet lock somehow somewhere. Any thoughts?
    When I don't have room in my trunk and I don't feel safe leaving the helmet on my mirror I have a bike cable combination lock. I have run it through my coat sleeve and helmet onto the grab bars. I have locked both bjt's and my helmets to the grab bars with it and it coils up and goes back in my trunk when not in use. I already had it here but for $20 or less, it is an easy and convenient way to lock things up.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering about this topic as well. I have seen several helmet locks but not sure were i would attach them. I know to many people who have the kuryakyn and have had them fail to unlock so i was gonna stay away from those.

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Lock

I just bought a Spyder and I have a Helmet Lock from MBL Innovations. It fits perfect on the Spyder and doesn't interfere with anything. It is just a pin made out of stainless steel and it comes with a Master Lock that allows you to secure your helmet to the handlebar. I have used this lock on several bikes previously and it works great.

You can get them at www.mblinnovations.com.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
    I just bought a Spyder and I have a Helmet Lock from MBL Innovations. It fits perfect on the Spyder and doesn't interfere with anything. It is just a pin made out of stainless steel and it comes with a Master Lock that allows you to secure your helmet to the handlebar. I have used this lock on several bikes previously and it works great.

That looks pretty cool.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Lock

I have the helmet lock that mounts at the rear tag. Works fine but because the tag is so near the ground the helmet can contact the pavement and get scratched. Think I'll get the helmet lock mentioned in this series of posts.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    When I don't have room in my trunk and I don't feel safe leaving the helmet on my mirror I have a bike cable combination lock. I have run it through my coat sleeve and helmet onto the grab bars. I have locked both bjt's and my helmets to the grab bars with it and it coils up and goes back in my trunk when not in use. I already had it here but for $20 or less, it is an easy and convenient way to lock things up.

Great Idea

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live in a state that doesn't require you to wear helmets but, I do anyway. Just my preference. I would just set the helmet on my seat and walk away. No one every bothered it. But there are a lot of bad guys out there so it's best to keep the "Honest people Honest." The bad guys are going to take it no matter how you have it locked. Let's put it this way, it can't hurt. After buying a new full face helmet, I decided to buy a cable and string it through the chin strap loops and lock it. Just make sure you set the helmet upright just in case it rains.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey guys,

Try this with the Kewlmetal rack

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I like this idea. Especially being able to lock the coat too.

Spyder Garage

I've been carrying a gun lock for the helmets, it works good.

Spyder Garage

Do you know of any reason that these won't work on the throttle side? I ride 2 up, which is why I ask. I have to guess the thread size is the same on both sides.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Do you know of any reason that these won't work on the throttle side? I ride 2 up, which is why I ask. I have to guess the thread size is the same on both sides.
    What thread size? There is no brake handle clamp to replace a bolt on, unless you have added a hand brake.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    What thread size? There is no brake handle clamp to replace a bolt on, unless you have added a hand brake.
    -Scotty
    You don't have 2 screws on the mount where the kill switch, emergency flasher switch and start button are? Are you saying that the peg/post can't be located there?

I see now that it won't work. The screws/bolts are different length and thread size.
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey guys,

I saw this one today in Cycle World and it looks well made and of course expensive, but so are our helmets. If this can be fitted to our in other places than the bars ? it would be great, the cable goes through the chin bar making it very secure. This company is out of San Fransisco CA and the web address is
    http://www.helmetsecure.com/

Its worth a look, and I might order one too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use a retracting cable lock from Aerostich/Riderwarehouse that stays in the trunk until I need it -- It loops thru any number of helmets ( it extends to about 3') , through the grab bars, and then retracts so no extra cable is hanging around.
    http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...k-p-18442.html

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflyingowl View Post
    I use a retracting cable lock from Aerostich/Riderwarehouse that stays in the trunk until I need it -- It loops thru any number of helmets ( it extends to about 3') , through the grab bars, and then retracts so no extra cable is hanging around.
    Good alternative to the PacSafe retractables. I love these retractable cable locks. They will fit in your pocket or a small pouch in your tank bag or trunk, yet will secure multiple helmets, riding gear, or all of the above. Thanks for the link.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflyingowl View Post
    I use one almost identical to this. It was designed as a "snowboard" or backpack lock. I got it at one of the local sporting goods stores. orks good! Dont have to worry about a key since its a combination lock.
    As stated above, if somone REALLTY wants what youve locked up with it, they could get it, but isnt that true of most locking devices?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went online looking for a cable type helmet lock, but the shipping was as much as the lock. I visited all the local motorcycle stores in the area. No luck.

I finally found an alternative at Home Depot. The cable is too thick to pass through D rings on the helmet, but will work for a full face or modular helmet by passing it through the shield area and locking it to the back rest or grab bars.

It coils up nice and has a combo as opposed to a key. (I am bad with keys) I made a sticker with the combo and stuck it inside the hood off the trunk in case I forget it. Anyway it is sturdy, cheap and readily available. I think I paid about $5.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post
    I went online looking for a cable type helmet lock, but the shipping was as much as the lock. I visited all the local motorcycle stores in the area. No luck.

I finally found an alternative at Home Depot. The cable is too thick to pass through D rings on the helmet, but will work for a full face or modular helmet by passing it through the shield area and locking it to the back rest or grab bars.

It coils up nice and has a combo as opposed to a key. (I am bad with keys) I made a sticker with the combo and stuck it inside the hood off the trunk in case I forget it. Anyway it is sturdy, cheap and readily available. I think I paid about $5.

Hope this helps,

Mark
    Heres one of the retractable type ones. This is what I have and it will fit thru the D rings. Nice little unit, and free shipping if you pick it up at the nearest REI. On sale today at 8.93.
    http://www.rei.com/product/777670?cm...-_-2550-_-dotd

Spyder Garage

I just installed mine and it looks like great.

Spyder Garage

Default Dual helmet lock for BRP Sport Rack

After reading other posts about the helmet hooks under the seat on the new RT, I started looking for a way to install something on the RS since two full face helmets will not fit in the frunk and one will not fit if it is filled with other stuff.

The BRP sport rack includes a release under the seat to access a small storage area or switch from the backrest to a flat rack. The seal for the compartment is towards the center of the rack with small open areas towards the rear which are covered when the backrest is locked. After a couple of trips to Home Depot, I installed two screws with spacers on the rack which are covered when the backrest is locked. To lock one or two helmets, you simply raise the seat and pull the release cable then hook the D-Ring of the helmet over the screw and close or latch the backrest. The helmets cannot be removed without opening the seat and releasing the backrest to the safety catch position.

The installation is pretty simple by removing the bottom cover of the sport rack (3 screws) and drilling the holes approximately 3/8” inward from the rear bungee hook point. I do not have a template but someone with more skill and time could use some clay to find the exact center of the opening in the backrest bracket to assure the holes are correct. I used a ¼” bit for the #10 screw to allow some fine tuning.

Here is a list of the parts I used:
    2 - #10-32 x ¾” Stainless Socket Head Caps Screws (HD SKU 30699715985)
    2 - #10 x 5/16” x ¼” Aluminum Spacer (HD SKU 30699875382)
    4 - #10 Stainless Cut Washer (HD SKU 30699324811)
    2 - #10-32 Nylon Lock Nut (HD SKU 30699193615)

Because my holes were not centered as well as they could have been, I had to file the inside reinforcement lip of the backrest to give clearance for the D-Ring under it. The outside edge of the backrest is already tapered which allow plenty of space so the modifications are not visible. A D-Ring extender may eliminate the need to file anything.
    With the helmet law in Georgia, I never felt comfortable leaving the helmets hanging on the handlebars in the city. I will still need to pop off the Blue Ant intercoms when parked but I am happy with the option to not carry the helmets around at every stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images