Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Best combination for Driver & Passenger Backrest

I've now had my Spyder (new 2009 SM5 RS) for a few weeks and this will be my second post.

Question for you modders. I'd like to add a backrest for both passenger and driver. Utopia makes one for driver that's really nice and MMG makes a nice one for the passenger. Unfortunately, they don't match (chrome on MMG, black powdercoat on Utopia) and neither company is willing (able?) to change the process/colors of materials.

Anybody have suggestions for a matching driver and passenger back rest that looks at least close to stock short of going with a complete Corbin seat which is out of my price range?

Thanks,

Dennis

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One of my first mods was to add a Corbin seat & driver backrest. Then I bought a BRP Sportrack and matching backrest. That way I always have a backrest, and when I have a passenger, I can quickly snap on the backrest for them. Normally, I can strap larger items on the rack/seat - and the rack looks cooler than the backrest, when you don't have a rider needing one...

Just my $0.02

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Seat

That's great except for a few things:

1. So far as I'm aware, I don't think they have a "60 day try before you buy" plan. I've seen enough comments on Corbin NOT being comfortable that spending that much on a test isn't something I'll do. If I'm wrong on the "try before you buy" idea, let me know

2. As mentioned, the price is more than I am willing to spend. I just went to the Corbin website and while I only see for 2008 spyders, here's the costs for the non-heated seats:

Driver Seat: $289
    Passenger Seat: $259
    Driver Backrest: $229
    Passenger Backrest: $229
    ------------------------
    Total Cost: $1006

Do they offer a "full system" discount I don't see online?

Maybe that works for some, but $1000 for a seat when the one I have is pretty comfy other than the missing backrests seems like quite a bit of money.

Dennis

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my suggestion is maybe go with givi trunk, which has passenger back rest option available. you get a trunk(very useful) and a backrest too.. As for the driver not sure, but could you provide with me a Utopia link for the driver b/rest your looking into? I googled it and come up with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dlittle View Post
    I've now had my Spyder (new 2009 SM5 RS) for a few weeks and this will be my second post.

Question for you modders. I'd like to add a backrest for both passenger and driver. Utopia makes one for driver that's really nice and MMG makes a nice one for the passenger. Unfortunately, they don't match (chrome on MMG, black powdercoat on Utopia) and neither company is willing (able?) to change the process/colors of materials.

Anybody have suggestions for a matching driver and passenger back rest that looks at least close to stock short of going with a complete Corbin seat which is out of my price range?

Thanks,

Dennis

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Utopia website

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html is the main page for Spyders and http://www.utpr.com/backrest.html has some additional specs. Price is an extraordinarily inexpensive $215 and they have several additional options (install for you, post padding, etc). I emailed yesterday and Bob responded within a few minutes.

I'll take a look at the GIVI website and see what they have.

Thanks,

Dennis

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlittle View Post
    http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html is the main page for Spyders and http://www.utpr.com/backrest.html has some additional specs. Price is an extraordinarily inexpensive $215 and they have several additional options (install for you, post padding, etc). I emailed yesterday and Bob responded within a few minutes.

I'll take a look at the GIVI website and see what they have.

Thanks,

Dennis
    Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought my Corbin used from another member - $500ish. You need to buy what fits your bum - I'm a big guy, and the Corbin has always fit.

Personally, I don't care for the trunks on the Spyder, and they seem too weak to actually lean against, as my grandkids are prone to to.

Just my $0.02.

Spyder Garage

Check Roadkrome for passenger backrest, different sizes available, decent price.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I haven't purchased a back rest yet but I do use a back support when I ryde. I have a bungee netting that goes over the rear seat I strap a small duffle bag to the passenger seat - instant back rest. If I have the wife on board 2 up she becomes my back rest and I strap the duflle bag to the back for her. Works well and is a lot cheaper than any backrest out there.
    I have the Corbin seats and will probably spring for 1 back rest in the future as I will also probably put a GIVI Topbox on sometime in the future.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Check Roadkrome for passenger backrest, different sizes available, decent price.
    Many thanks for this one. Hadn't heard of the company before but they appear to have exactly what I'm looking for. I'll post pics when done but so far:

2009 Spyder RS (full moon/grey)
    Outside Storage Cover
    Frunk liner
    Ultra Touring 23" Windsheild
    12v Power Outlet in the frunk being installed tonight
    3" bar riser from RTSales being installed tonight
    Frunk and Seat spring being installed tonight.
    Comfort Seat on order
    Throttlemeister soon
    Floorboards (not iSCI -- sorry) soon
    Highway Pegs possible -- local guy has extra set
    Better grips coming once I decide on some
    Triple Play or similar maybe

What kinda stuff am I missing and mods should I be aware of (so I don't have to read so much and can continue to be lazy)?

Dennis
    1 of 4 Spyder Ryders in Los Alamos, NM

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mods are a very personal thing for each SpyderLover. That is one of the best things about the Spyder, there are enough different options out there to make your Spyder uniquely yours.

The first step would be to decide what you want the most, comfort or performance, and then build your list from there. Many products, like lighting, will be listed in both categories but others like exhaust, juice box, air filter, and so on will be more performance oriented.