Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New Toyota Thread

Don't realy want to start this, although after reading the site msg that Black Widow had. I decided to get in trouble.

Early this morning before reading the article Black Widow I had decided to go to Toyota.

I do not own a Toyota. My girlfriend owns an SUV made by another Japanese Co. Since April 2009 I have had a problem with the gas pedal. Took measurements:

Floor to gas pedal
    Floor to brake pedal
    Gas to brake pedal
    Width of the ball of my work boots

Seems about once a month or so, I have the problem of braking and stepping on the gas pedal at the same time. Scared the daylights out of me the first time as I was backing down a hill when I did it. Tack went up to just under 6000 rpms.when I got the clutch disengaged, (5 speed manual trans.).

Let off the brake and rpms dropped immediately. Stomped on the brake and vehicle stopped. Figured out my foot was on both the brake and gas pedals at the same time. Now when I do this I know what is happening so I raise my foot up and move it over to get just the brake pedal. Normally I can here the engine rev and that triggers my actions. For me it always happens when I am braking and downshifting at the same time.

Stopped at Toyota dealer this morning and gave them the measurements above and talked to the Service Manager about it briefly.

Called the girlfriends dealer and told them about what was happening.

Toyota fix is for the computer to recognize when the brake and gas pedals are both hit at the same time to shut down the engine.

The Service Manager at girls dealer said "I have also done this several times".

Dosen't mean this is the problem, Just what I have had happen to me and what I found out about it today.

I'm just a country boy so I cannot say what is what, except I know I am stepping on the gas pedal and brake at the same time and I am glad we have a manual transmission or I might not be writing this right now.

Don't know what 6000 rpms converts to in mph in reverse, and don't want to.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Had the same problem with my 0/3 Ford Ranger, Small truck not made for work boots. But unlike some people in the News lately we both know how to react in an emergency!! It's called using your head.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Had the same problem with my 0/3 Ford Ranger, Small truck not made for work boots. But unlike some people in the News lately we both know how to react in an emergency!! It's called using your head.

i think most of this toyota stuff is all bunk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post

i think most of this toyota stuff is all bunk

I have a Toyota, not one that is involved in the recall, but I had to take it in for an oil change. While I was there most everyone else was getting the recall work done. They were discussing how they had no problems and think that it's blown out of proportion, as most don't have an issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I have a Toyota, not one that is involved in the recall, but I had to take it in for an oil change. While I was there most everyone else was getting the recall work done. They were discussing how they had no problems and think that it's blown out of proportion, as most don't have an issue.
    If I were looking and needing a car right NOW I would milk them big time on a new Toyota . With cash in hand you could probably get $5,000 or more off!! I had a 98 Tacoma for 98,000 perfect operating miles before I bought my 2003 Ford Sport Trac ( Which is the Most Comfortable truck I ever owned!) Have you driven a FORD lately???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

This is a great article about all this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4347704.html

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Toyota tomorrow. Actually I'm about to spring for a new car for my 75 year old mother--- and Toyota is on the top of the list.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I thought about that

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If I were looking and needing a car right NOW I would milk them big time on a new Toyota . With cash in hand you could probably get $5,000 or more off!! I had a 98 Tacoma for 98,000 perfect operating miles before I bought my 2003 Ford Sport Trac ( Which is the Most Comfortable truck I ever owned!) Have you driven a FORD lately???
    I thought about looking at a Toyota now. The only problem I've had was an oxygen sensor...and I have well over 100,000 miles on the car. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to drive it across country and back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention way up front the girlfriend drives the SUV everyday to work and has never had the problem I have with hitting both pedals at the same time. I have been driving manual shift -sticks since the early 60's, tractors then cars and have had a stick shift since '67. 100% my problem with the pedals. Got lucky having it happen the way it did the first time.

Drove my Ford truck today!! V10, hard to keep the speed down.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post

Drove my Ford truck today!! V10, hard to keep the speed down.

And the gas tank full