Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    If there are "under-lying" things going on it should be the responsibility of BRP to explain what they are to the owners who seem to be risking their necks everytime they ride their Spyders due to steering issues that continue to affect more and more owners ! It is past time for them to bite the bullet and either fix or replace any and all Spyders that were equipped with possibly defective hard parts or software. IMO failing to do this is "hiding their heads in the sand"
    Not that I disagree with anything you said, but I do have to say that I would much rather them spend their time and money on working on a fix and fast instead of spending that time and money sending out letters and updates to the owners regarding their progress, or lack thereof if that's the case.

Don't just assume they are ignoring us. Most people are good and honest.

Just food for thought.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Well we are still waiting on a call to see what was wrong w/ the old DPS if they found anything.

I was looking around on the net at past postings about the steering and on other websites and as of now, it's been a year when this started happening to people. I hope nobody gets killed. I mean lots of us have ridden before and have some knowledge in how to handle situations. Some of us are brand new ryders who I am sure did some parking lot practice and got to know their machine real good. But then there are some of us who never rode a bike, let alone a reverse trike or conventional trike and maybe who knows - they just get the thing, take it on a trip, the steering acts up and they can't react in time. So that whole thing bugs me but I am trying to keep my mouth shut and stay calm.
    Very good points. I hope no one gets hurt, that's not cool.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Not yet, but that is definately on my list of things to do.
    I'll add my voice to those hoping you and everyone who has a power steering problem will submit a report to NHTSA.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ZRCAT600 View Post
    You stated there have been some problems with some of the older DPS units when they get the updates. What year is your Spyder? Are the problems both 08 and 09's? I have the 09 and just want to be aware what to be on the lookout for.
    There have been reports of a few 09's having issues, but the vast majority of problems so far seem to be with the 08 models.

I also believe BRP is working on coming up with a fix. Those that have taken their Spyders to a dealer have had them worked on in an attempt to correct the steering issue. Some that have been worked on needed to go back to the dealer for more work, while others have been perfectly fine after the first repair.

This is a complex machine with several sensors that are supposed to work together in an attempt to help you steer it more easily. There is a chance that a couple of these sensors hick up and start actually fighting against each other instead. That is speculation on my part; however, it does seem that more than just the DPS can be involved as we have seen them replace GPS and SAS modules as well.

BRP may not be able to tell us exactly what is causing the issues right now; however, to say they have done absolutely nothing to correct the steering issues is just plain wrong.

If you are having a steering problem, get the machine to a dealer and report it to the NHTSA. Then you have done everything that is in your power to do, and it is up to them to correct the issue on your individual Spyder.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I also believe BRP is working on coming up with a fix.
    Update No.3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I was watching TV regarding Toyota and the Pruis that has been in the news lately. A guy from Apple reported there was a vehicle that acted up like this because it got a virus from an Ipod (don't know how true this is).

But, I was thinking they hook our bikes up to computers to do software updates and I wonder if some computers have a virus and pass it on???

100% urban legend--- no virus has affected cars in such a manner.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Spyderwolf for your reply. I do love the Spyder and cant wait to ride this summer. I understand that all things man made may have problems. I just want to be aware to watch for what might come my way. Life is truly short enjoy every minute!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How much time is reasonable? 6 mths to come up with a fix to me is enough time. Not to be sarcastic but what if the whole summer goes buy and nothing, is that okay? I guess there is nothing we can do. If they cant fix the problem, and it is starting to look like that is the case, I'm not sure what the answer is for BRP. I guess they can just say there is no problem and hope for the best. To be honest I am starting to feel I deserve my money back, but on the other hand that sounds ridiculous. Maybe we get what we paid for the bike off the rt and 0% financing on the balance??? I don't know. Ugh just wish this get down so I can stop thinking about it
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Not that I disagree with anything you said, but I do have to say that I would much rather them spend their time and money on working on a fix and fast instead of spending that time and money sending out letters and updates to the owners regarding their progress, or lack thereof if that's the case.

Don't just assume they are ignoring us. Most people are good and honest.

Just food for thought.

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    100% urban legend--- no virus has affected cars in such a manner.
    Glad to see that you got some normal color back in your face

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I picked up the bike this weekend on Saturday and rode home with no obvious issues. Scared the crap outta me every time it would wiggle though. Yesterday, I decided it was time to get back on the horse. Went on a group ride of about 200 miles to run it through the wringer, and even though I imagined a few quirks early on, I think its back to where it was before all this mess. Might be just a bit more sensitive, or it might be me not remembering how it felt exactly.

Anyway, seems the DPS replacement worked on mine. The dealer did say he was told yet another software update was in the works...for what thats worth.

RT-S PE#0134
    Spyder Garage

Well, I picked up the bike this weekend on Saturday and rode home with no obvious issues. Scared the crap outta me every time it would wiggle though. Yesterday, I decided it was time to get back on the horse. Went on a group ride of about 200 miles to run it through the wringer, and even though I imagined a few quirks early on, I think its back to where it was before all this mess. Might be just a bit more sensitive, or it might be me not remembering how it felt exactly.

Anyway, seems the DPS replacement worked on mine. The dealer did say he was told yet another software update was in the works...for what thats worth.
    Glad to hear you're back on the road! Hope everything works out. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Glynnk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    Glad to hear you're back on the road! Hope everything works out. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Glynnk
    Yeah, the first part of the ride was a lil scary. Every time the wind caught it and pushed it left, I lost a little more vinyl off the seat! LOL
    By the end of the ride, I was almost back to being confident in it.
    Hope to make some of the meet and eats soon!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear they appear to have your issue sorted out. Have fun getting used to it again, and ryde safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, it happened.... it tried to launch me into the left lane again!!!! It happened a couple more times and convinced me I wasnt makin it up in my head....and it happened again so I flopped it back on the trailer and headed for home. The dealership has a DPS unit on order now....
    Well, I am also very glad you are safe, LittleJohn.

We have joked about your avatar for almost three years now--it sucks that the Little Tykes trike has more reliable steering.

I am (only?) on DPS #2 myself; I guess I should drive gingerly for the next hundred or so miles and see...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    I am (only?) on DPS #2 myself; I guess I should drive gingerly for the next hundred or so miles and see...
    Thats what I did when I picked it up this weekend. After about 120 miles, I decided I needed to let loose and push it a little to make it perform or fail, whichever the case may be. So far, perform has been the result!!!!

Hope youve got yours worked out too!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thats what I did when I picked it up this weekend. After about 120 miles, I decided I needed to let loose and push it a little to make it perform or fail, whichever the case may be. So far, perform has been the result!!!!
    I have thought about this quite a bit, in case I have a steering issue pop up, and have come to the same conclusion. Hopefully neither of us will get hurt, but I am going to keep pushing the machine as long as I have the warranty to back it up.