Spyder Garage

Default Oil filler cap is VERY hard to get off and back on correctly - anyone else? Fixes?

After getting my brand new F3 home I wanted to check the oil for the first time.

I pulled off the access cover and took hold of the filler cap tab and gave it a twist. Whoa! That baby is tight! Why so tight? Lefty loosie right? I had to get my entire hand around the cap in order to get a good enough grip on the thing to get it off. After seeing that the filler tube is plastic, I was worried about torquing it too much and breaking something. I lubed up cap a bit, hoping that would make it easier, no dice.

Even putting the cap back on is an issue. It won't twist into the 'lock' position without a huge amount of twist and I'm afraid to twist it any more than I am. I can't get it to 'pop' into the locked position as is.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I did a search of the forum with no luck.

I thought about taking a file to the locking tabs of the cap as a last resort. I'd rather not.
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series.
    2023 F3 Ltd SS , Mineral Blue / Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

The 23 might be different than the RT but I use a 36mm oil “socket with a 6” extension” to remove. When placing it back on, put a small finger smear of clean oil around the thread inside and on cap. Start it with by hand until tight and use the oil socket and extension to tighten till snug. Once you feel it snug stop. Don’t over tighten, Its plastic. I WOULD NOT sand the cap. Little plastic flakes are asking to get mixed in with oil. The o-ring will prevent blowout. Just tighten till hand tight, then snug. Not even 1/4 turn.

Sorry I misread. I thought it said filter. You were talking about the dipstick. Use channel locks to break the old seal. Then again add some oil to both sides and hand screw in till tight. I would definitely not file that cap. Again that would be easy access for plastic contamination. Was motor hot? My guess after you break it loose the first time, it will turn easy from there on. With hot fresh oil it probably expanded. With oil now on threads it should spin freely.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 05-17-2024 at 10:59 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my 14 RT is similar ..... I had some scrap plywood 3/8, I drilled a hole one inch from the end then made two cuts alongside the hole ..... this slot fits over the oil filler and makes it easy to open .... I just leave it under the seat..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-17-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DIY'ers always find a way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    The 23 might be different than the RT but I use a 36mm oil “socket with a 6” extension” to remove. When placing it back on, put a small finger smear of clean oil around the thread inside and on cap. Start it with by hand until tight and use the oil socket and extension to tighten till snug. Once you feel it snug stop. Don’t over tighten, Its plastic. I WOULD NOT sand the cap. Little plastic flakes are asking to get mixed in with oil. The o-ring will prevent blowout. Just tighten till hand tight, then snug. Not even 1/4 turn.

Sorry I misread. I thought it said filter. You were talking about the dipstick. Use channel locks to break the old seal. Then again add some oil to both sides and hand screw in till tight. I would definitely not file that cap. Again that would be easy access for plastic contamination. Was motor hot? My guess after you break it loose the first time, it will turn easy from there on. With hot fresh oil it probably expanded. With oil now on threads it should spin freely.

Yes, the cap with the dipstick. As I said, I got the cap off with my hand, but it was a close thing. I would have used a crescent wrench rather than channel locks but no need for either.

IF, I was to file the tabs on the cap, or on the filler neck, I certainly wouldn't allow any filings to enter the filler tube and contaminate the oil, don't worry about that.

"With hot fresh oil it probably expanded."

I removed the filler cap while it was cold too, same thing, VERY tight.

There are no real threads on the cap, just locking tabs.

Spyder Garage

I've used an adjustable pliers on my 2021 RT. The first time I went to check the oil I could not budge the cap and rode to the dealer where a much stronger person was able to twist it open. I rarely check the oil, but now when I do I use the pliers, gently but firmly. Seems to just be part of the design.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

23' Sea2Sky... No problem
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

My '22 has always been tight. I keep a pair of pliers on the shelf where I park and use them to open and close.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Just a little dab of high temperature grease on the threads is more than adequate.

Do not take a file to it! A small piece of emery paper could be in order, IF there is a burr. But, only in that case.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

My 2024 RT is super tight as well. I was able to get it by hand but next time cresant wrench will be used.

Spyder Garage

Albec, you failed to state what lubricant you applied expecting it to ease the effort to remove or install.

I forget if the dipstick cap O ring is Viton or a silicone based material.

That said, my suggestion is to use Dow DC4 or Permatex di-electric silicone grease. Both are suitable for high temps; and take a long while to lose their effectiveness.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2024 at 06:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Albec, you failed to state what lubricant you applied expecting it to ease the effort to remove or install.

I forget if the dipstick cap O ring is Viton or a silicone based material.

That said, my suggestion is to use Dow DC4 or Permatex di-electric silicone grease. Both are suitable for high temps; and take a long while to lose their effectiveness.
    I just took a bit of oil from the dipstick and, with my finger, rubbed some oil on the locking tabs and one the cap gasket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Albec View Post
    I just took a bit of oil from the dipstick and, with my finger, rubbed some oil on the locking tabs and one the cap gasket.
    Di-electric works wonders and lasts longer than oil smearing... I also have to use it in my Lamonster gas cap o-ring as it can reach a point to where you are wondering if you are gonna get it open or have to ryde home and get gas later!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Di-electric works wonders and lasts longer than oil smearing...
    Truism, plus, the silicone grease does not swell or affect rubber parts.

If Albec finds motor oil cures his issue, that works for me. Worse case, the dipstick cap simply gets stuck again as the motor oil squeezes out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Truism, plus, the silicone grease does not swell or affect rubber parts.

If Albec finds motor oil cures his issue, that works for me. Worse case, the dipstick cap simply gets stuck again as the motor oil squeezes out.
    It's still a bit tight and I'll apply something a little more permanent the next time I have the cap off. Now that I know this is normal, I'll deal with it.

Thanks all!