Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    You profile says you are in Oklahoma? Time to research the Lemon Law for Oklahoma:

https://www.oag.ok.gov/oklahomas-lemon-law

"According to the law, there is a presumption that the manufacturer, manufacturer’s agent or dealer has made a reasonable number of attempts, if they have attempted to fix the same defect four or more times during the warranty period or one year following the date of the original delivery of the vehicle, whichever is earlier; or the vehicle is out of service because of the repairs for a total of 30 business days during the same period."
    Correct. At this point, I feel I need to remain patient, continue documenting everything and hope they find and fix it. I'd rather prefer to have the Rally than the alternative.

Spyder Garage

Hey Snowbelt,

That is all correct. Fortunately for me, we have two lawyers that work in my office. I've spoken to them about it. Right now it'll just be a waiting game.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

lol...I needed that. Thank you!

I hope so too. It probably reads worse than it is honestly. The dealership is doing their part to make it right, it just might take longer than I am willing to wait. I've been in a similar situation once before where I was out a new purchase for 3 months. I am just trying to look ahead and avoid such a situation again.

I'll definitely keep everyone updated and post the results in the end.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    You profile says you are in Oklahoma? Time to research the Lemon Law for Oklahoma:

https://www.oag.ok.gov/oklahomas-lemon-law

"According to the law, there is a presumption that the manufacturer, manufacturer’s agent or dealer has made a reasonable number of attempts, if they have attempted to fix the same defect four or more times during the warranty period or one year following the date of the original delivery of the vehicle, whichever is earlier; or the vehicle is out of service because of the repairs for a total of 30 business days during the same period."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fludtastic View Post
    Correct. At this point, I feel I need to remain patient, continue documenting everything and hope they find and fix it. I'd rather prefer to have the Rally than the alternative.
    You might want to check that your State's 'Lemon Laws' actually DO apply to recreational vehicles &/or motorcycles!

I've got no dog in this fight, what with being on the other side of the World in Oz 'n all, but from what I've seen here on this Forum & others, many States WITH Lemon Laws that could help, actually specifically exclude our Spyders/Rykers from those laws under either the 'recreational vehicle' or the 'motorcycle' labels! So it'll very likely serve you well to check on that before you start waving any mention of using that sorta thing around!

Oh, and just another reminder that often, even the slightest mention, let alone any threat of legal action often slams the door on any quick &/or simple resolution!! As we've seen reported here more than once, even just a mention of potential legal action means your dealer may no longer make ANY effort on your behalf; and instead, they'll often insist that you only communicate with them thru their lawyers from that point on! Pretty much always, the ONLY people who benefit from any threats of &/or actual legal action/lawyer involvement are the lawyers themselves - and that often brings the whole argument down to 'Who has the deepest pockets' in order to pay the highest priced lawyers - you, or a multi-million $$ business operation with a high priced legal team on retainer?!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You might want to check that your State's 'Lemon Laws' actually DO apply to recreational vehicles &/or motorcycles!

I've got no dog in this fight, what with being on the other side of the World in Oz 'n all, but from what I've seen here on this Forum & others, many States WITH Lemon Laws that could help, actually specifically exclude our Spyders/Rykers from those laws under either the 'recreational vehicle' or the 'motorcycle' labels! So it'll very likely serve you well to check on that before you start waving any mention of using that sorta thing around!

Oh, and just another reminder that often, even the slightest mention, let alone any threat of legal action often slams the door on any quick &/or simple resolution!! As we've seen reported here more than once, even just a mention of potential legal action means your dealer may no longer make ANY effort on your behalf; and instead, they'll often insist that you only communicate with them thru their lawyers from that point on! Pretty much always, the ONLY people who benefit from any threats of &/or actual legal action/lawyer involvement are the lawyers themselves - and that often brings the whole argument down to 'Who has the deepest pockets' in order to pay the highest priced lawyers - you, or a multi-million $$ business operation with a high priced legal team on retainer?!

Just Sayin'
    Hey Peter,

That is sound advise. In all matters of dispute. Rest assured nothing of the sort has been mentioned to the dealership let alone threatened. They're doing their part to my knowledge. This side discussion about lemon-laws and possible alternative solutions is merely educational and preparation. My state does protect recreational vehicles under this law but certain criteria must be met of course. I doubt it comes to that in this case.

I'm expecting a phone call from the lead mechanic tomorrow afternoon for an update. ��

Spyder Garage

And hopefully no one in their shop's a member of this site!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,

Update 05.17.2024 - 2022 Can-Am Ryker Rally

Response from BRP to the Mechanic.

TST Detail:

Problem:
    Reports of an audible noise can be heard "toc toc toc" when moving at low speeds.

Solution:
    This is caused by:
    1) Low-speed driving: engine torque is at it's lowest, resistance torque varies (positive and negative) on every roughness on the road and drives clutch engagement.
    2) Every time torque on the driveshaft input goes from positive to negative with the roughness of the road, the freeplay of the transmission (especially the dog -on- dog freeplay of the drive reverse dog clutch of 5 degrees) is activated.
    3) A slight shock can be heard when the free-play is traveled.

Inspection Procedure:
    This noise is considered normal and won't affect gearbox components. No parts need to be replaced.

Warranty:
    NA

They also linked her a video related to the report.

https://youtu.be/5y1NcupHwM8?si=xEGFQUteNsRinvIf

Between this report and the mechanics not able to visually identify the cause, I'll be picking up the Rally tomorrow morning. This brings the case to a close. If there is in fact an issue, hopefully the failure doesn't occur at 65mph.

Thank you all for your support.
    -Jason

Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,

Update 05.17.2024 - 2022 Can-Am Ryker Rally

Response from BRP to the Mechanic.

TST Detail:

Problem:
    Reports of an audible noise can be heard "toc toc toc" when moving at low speeds.

Solution:
    This is caused by:
    1) Low-speed driving: engine torque is at it's lowest, resistance torque varies (positive and negative) on every roughness on the road and drives clutch engagement.
    2) Every time torque on the driveshaft input goes from positive to negative with the roughness of the road, the freeplay of the transmission (especially the dog -on- dog freeplay of the drive reverse dog clutch of 5 degrees) is activated.
    3) A slight shock can be heard when the free-play is traveled.

Inspection Procedure:
    This noise is considered normal and won't affect gearbox components. No parts need to be replaced.

Warranty:
    NA

They also linked her a video related to the report.

https://youtu.be/5y1NcupHwM8?si=xEGFQUteNsRinvIf

Between this report and the mechanics not able to visually identify the cause, I'll be picking up the Rally tomorrow morning. This brings the case to a close. If there is in fact an issue, hopefully the failure doesn't occur at 65mph.

Thank you all for your support.
    -Jason
    Hmmm... I don't know about that. Good move to document it. Especially the video with sound. I can't say that I've ever heard that sound before coming from a Ryker. And we've worked on many. I'm going to go out and see if I can get ours to do it. I kind of doubt it. I think I'd have noticed. Though I think BRP is right about at least that part where they say clutch is engaging and disengaging. I don't get the part about 'Roughness of the road'. In the video, there is no roughness of the road to affect clutch engagement, which seems to be their entire premise for saying it's normal. I'd try to ride so that the clutch engages just once and stays engaged, which means a bit more throttle from the git-go every time.

I hope BRP's diagnosis is correct. But I'd save EVERYTHING for possible future needs. It's good that you've done everything right here.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-17-2024 at 02:09 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know about that. Good move to document it. Especially the video with sound. I can't say that I've ever heard that sound before coming from a Ryker. And we've worked on many. I'm going to go out and see if I can get ours to do it. I kind of doubt it. I think I'd have noticed. Though I think BRP is right about at least that part where they say clutch is engaging and disengaging. I don't get the part about 'Roughness of the road'. In the video, there is no roughness of the road to affect clutch engagement, which seems to be their entire premise for saying it's normal. I'd try to ride so that the clutch engages just once and stays engaged, which means a bit more throttle from the git-go every time.

I hope BRP's diagnosis is correct. But I'd save EVERYTHING for possible future needs. It's good that you've done everything right here.
    For my safety, I hope so too. Though the "roughness of the road" bit was eye-rolling. But, for sure, I have it covered. Thanks!

If anyone thinks they'd be interested, I'll post back here if anything happens during my future rides with this unit. Just let me know and I'll keep it in mind.

I'm curious, were you able to produced this chatter with one of your Rykers since your post?

Spyder Garage

I own 2 Ryker Rally's, a 2020, and a 2023. Never had a sound like that on either one. For what it’s worth.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:59 PM.

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fvee3 View Post
    I own 2 Ryker rally a 2020 and a 2023. Never had a sound like that on either one. For what it’s worth.
    Completed a 130'ish mile ride after picking up the bike earlier. All in all, it rides great, but does not like bumper-to-bumper slow traffic for sure. "Oh well" I'm telling myself.

Funny thing, while at the dealership, I had one of the sales guys hop on the 2023 Rally they had there (also a return from the Can-Am course), and I asked if he would just naturally pull forward and reverse it. It did the same exact thing as mine, but seemed worse... more clunk, clunk, clunk than toc, toc, toc. I wish I had recorded it for reference, but my phone and all my gear was in my buds vehicle.

Anyways, sort of left me convinced that this noise just may be normal. Though still baffling.

I have an all-day ride tomorrow with a large group. Heading out at 6am. Gonna ride the Rally as I normally would. Expecting it to go smoothly. 'fingers crossed'!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did you happen to notice at what RPM this was happening?
    From what I understand, the clutch engages at 1800 RPM.
    If you are trying to inch forward or reverse at that RPM, it could be the clutch engaging and disengaging.
    Try holding the brake just a little, might help.
    Just a guess.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Completed a 130'ish mile ride after picking up the bike earlier. All in all, it rides great, but does not like bumper-to-bumper slow traffic for sure. "Oh well" I'm telling myself.

Funny thing, while at the dealership, I had one of the sales guys hop on the 2023 Rally they had there (also a return from the Can-Am course), and I asked if he would just naturally pull forward and reverse it. It did the same exact thing as mine, but seemed worse... more clunk, clunk, clunk than toc, toc, toc. I wish I had recorded it for reference, but my phone and all my gear was in my buds vehicle.

Anyways, sort of left me convinced that this noise just may be normal. Though still baffling.

I have an all-day ride tomorrow with a large group. Heading out at 6am. Gonna ride the Rally as I normally would. Expecting it to go smoothly. 'fingers crossed'!
    How did your all day ride go?
    -----
    Joshua
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 Ryker Rally
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    How did your all day ride go?
    Hey Jdr00ejr,

Thanks for asking. It went great! 450.3 miles on the Rally now. The bike rides smooth, plenty of pull/power. No excessive vibrations or over-heating. Slightly pulls to the right, but I'll have alignment checked soon.

I didn't feel unsafe. We took mostly backroads, but even holding highway speeds, I experienced no chatter, instability or concerns honestly. As for slow rolling, be it forward or in reverse, there's still that toc'toc noise and rattle, but I learned that you just have to put more throttle into it to avoid it altogether. I just triple check behind me when reversing. Rather than calmly creeping in reverse, it's more of a subtle burst to get into position to proceed forward and avoid the toc'toc.

Honestly, I'm pleased with the Rally. I think I can live with the quirk for now.

I'll put a few pics of the destination and the rally below in case you're interested.

Thanks!

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 03:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Update*

Over 900 miles on the Rally now. Still no issues or concerns at any speed. Still dialing in better throttle control at low speeds to avoid the toc noise, which isn't too difficult at this point.

I hope this post helps other new Ryker owners who might have this same noise/concern somehow. Until then next time...

Ride safe everyone!
    -Jason

Spyder Garage

Good to read that you are happier and more confident than you were initially and the BRP explanation does have merit especially item 2. You had a new engine just breaking in as well as a new power train: belt CVT clutches etc. breaking in and you were probably being super careful with the new the throttle on the new toy resulting in the CVT opening and closing and even to the point where it may have caused the secondary to rock back and forth in the freeplay area resulting in the knock that you heard. Most of use would just hear that intial clunk on engagement forward or engagement reverse.

Thanks for the update and enjoy your ride.

Spyder Garage

The clutch set up on that bike is like the system on snowmobiles and such, and I have found that some clutches are nosier than others, hopefully this is what your hearing!
    2012 RTL , Pearl