Spyder Garage

Default What is the Stock Front Tire for Sport Model Rykers?

What is the stock Kenda tire that comes on the Sport model Ryker? Is it different than the Kenda Kanine that I have seen for sale on several different sites? I know that on the Spyders the Kanine is supposed to be an upgraded tire. I have a Rally, but I may be changing my rims. If I do, I will switch to the road tire vs the Rally tire.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Harley Davidson Dyna Street Bob
    2004 Harley Davidson V-Rod

Spyder Garage

My 22 Sport just says Kenda 145/60R16 MC 66T
    Hope this helps.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 06:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Those Kenda Kanines are effectively just an 'after-market' tire sold by Kenda as an alternative to the factory/OEM spec 165/50R15 Kendas fitted/sold on new Spyders. The cynic in me suggests that they are very likely only made & sold in an attempt to cash in on the widespread dissatisfaction with the OEM Kendas, with little real changes besides the 'model name', some relatively minor tread pattern changes & possibly somewhat improved quality control on the manufacturing process, but that could be just my cynical nature shining thru?! Still, I'm not sure that they make/sell them to suit the Ryker's 16" skinny front rims anyway; at least AFAIK they don't sell them in that 145/60R16 size here in Oz, so I don't know if you'd be able to get any Kenda Kanines to fit on the front of your Ryker anyway?!

That said, for anyone considering running Kanines over the OEM Kendas (where/if they even can! ) it appears that in most major respects, the Kanines are simply a 'slightly changed' version of the OEM Spec Kendas that we get from BRP/dealers on/for our Spyders anyway! There's no significant &/or easily measured or tested differences between the Kanines and the 'normal' Kendas; except for the visible tread pattern differences, the labelling; possibly some improvement in the Quality Control on their production line; and a few other minor 'appearance' differences... altho anecdotal evidence suggests that it does seem likely (just not readily measurably or testable ) that there ARE some minor differences in the make-up of the tread compound used, despite them being very close to the OEM Spec Kanines in all non-destructive comparison testing.

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2024 at 06:06 PM. Reason: chsnges.... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Kenda advertises greater mileage than stock, reduced rolling resistance, increased siping to evacuate standing water for wet weather performance for Kanines.
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Those Kenda Kanines are effectively just an 'after-market' tire sold by Kenda as an alternative to the factory/OEM spec 165/50R15 Kendas fitted/sold on new Spyders. The cynic in me suggests that they are very likely only made & sold in an attempt to cash in on the widespread dissatisfaction with the OEM Kendas, with little real changes besides the 'model name', some relatively minor tread pattern changes & possibly somewhat improved quality control on the manufacturing process, but that could be just my cynical nature shining thru?! Still, I'm not sure that they make/sell them to suit the Ryker's 16" skinny front rims anyway; at least AFAIK they don't sell them in that 145/60R16 size here in Oz, so I don't know if you'd be able to get any Kenda Kanines to fit on the front of your Ryker anyway?!

That said, for anyone considering running Kanines over the OEM Kendas (where/if they even can! ) it appears that in most major respects, the Kanines are simply a 'slightly changed' version of the OEM Spec Kendas that we get from BRP/dealers on/for our Spyders anyway! There's no significant &/or easily measured or tested differences between the Kanines and the 'normal' Kendas; except for the visible tread pattern differences, the labelling; possibly some improvement in the Quality Control on their production line; and a few other minor 'appearance' differences... altho anecdotal evidence suggests that it does seem likely (just not readily measurably or testable ) that there ARE some minor differences in the make-up of the tread compound used, despite them being very close to the OEM Spec Kanines in all non-destructive comparison testing.

Just Sayin'
    I have had the same concerns about the Kanines as well. I am only looking into them because there are almost no alternatives to the stock front tires, and the couple that I actually found are completely out of stock everywhere I have checked. I have been running car tires on my Spyder for years now and will never go back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2024 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Harley Davidson Dyna Street Bob
    2004 Harley Davidson V-Rod