Spyder Garage

Default Safety Message no longer forces delay after First Service - any opinions?

When I first got my 2024 Spyder to start it you had to wait for the safety message to appear on the display before you could twist the throttle forward to start the Spyder.

I took it in for the first service at 1000 miles and after that I no longer have to wait for the safety message to start the Spyder. It will start immediately as long as the throttle is twisted forward.

Therefore, they must have hooked it up to BUDS and changed the start parameters, I assume that BRP wants you to read the warning and at a curtain mileage they think you have read it enough. Any opinions? Anyone else noticed this on their Spyder? Definitely better that waiting for the dumb message.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

The earlier Spyders will start instantly after pushing the mode button. Many people don't know this though. Pushing the mode button is equivalent to you rolling your throttle backwards. I don't see how getting a service done could change this behavior but I suppose anything is possible.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your post and what you found out about starting procedures.
    As for me, no updates or connections to BUDS, but on my '24 RT, I can turn the key to ON, twist the throttle, and press the start button, and it starts without any wait time before the screen turns on.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:09 PM.
    2024 RT limited Petrol Blue
    2018 RT limited pearl White
    2017 RTS pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeeredoo View Post
    Thank you for your post and what you found out about starting procedures.
    As for me, no updates or connections to BUDS, but on my '24 RT, I can turn the key to ON, twist the throttle, and press the start button, and it starts without any wait time before the screen turns on.
    Ditto for me also!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Pre 2024s only needed to turn key to on then press mode button which allowed the starter to engage as mentioned above.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    Pre 2024s only needed to turn key to on then press mode button which allowed the starter to engage as mentioned above.
    That's gotta have been a relatively recent upgrade, cos since their release and on for many years, all Spyders required you to wait until the safety message had displayed and finally gone before you could press the mode button, and only then could you start - looking back on the older threads, it was an often complained about wait of maybe a minute or so!!

There's quite a few older threads (prior to about 2018, I think? ) where owners/posters were complaining about this wait, and even a few seeking ECU Upgrades to get rid of it (and a few who got that done! ) Plus, avoiding the wait was a 'special & much touted by BRP feature' of the short-lived 2015/16 (or there-abouts, I think?! ) RT-P & F3-P 'Police Special' Spyder models that were tested by many Police Motorcycle Divisions around the World.

But IIRC, the long called for/impatiently awaited BRP changes to get rid of this 'enforced wait while you ignore the read the bloody message thing - AGAIN' didn't start happening until at least 2016, maybe later; but I'm sure that someone with a less active 'forgettory' &/or one of the still afflicted Spyder models will tell us all when it finally happened!

And in the meantime, it does sound very much like a BUDS Upgrade thing has occurred on your Spyder JB62 - Enjoy!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's gotta have been a relatively recent upgrade, cos since their release and on for many years, all Spyders required you to wait until the safety message had displayed and finally gone before you could press the mode button, and only then could you start - looking back on the older threads, it was an often complained about wait of maybe a minute or so!!

There's quite a few older threads (prior to about 2018, I think? ) where owners/posters were complaining about this wait, and even a few seeking ECU Upgrades to get rid of it (and a few who got that done! ) Plus, avoiding the wait was a 'special & much touted by BRP feature' of the short-lived 2015/16 (or there-abouts, I think?! ) RT-P & F3-P 'Police Special' Spyder models that were tested by many Police Motorcycle Divisions around the World.

But IIRC, the long called for/impatiently awaited BRP changes to get rid of this 'enforced wait while you ignore the read the bloody message thing - AGAIN' didn't start happening until at least 2016, maybe later; but I'm sure that someone with a less active 'forgettory' &/or one of the still afflicted Spyder models will tell us all when it finally happened!

And in the meantime, it does sound very much like a BUDS Upgrade thing has occurred on your Spyder JB62 - Enjoy!
    My first 2024 (the Lemon) would not start until message came up. The second 2024 Spyder (loaner) started immediately. My current 2024 Spyder would not start until message came up but after 1St service now its starts immediately. Therefore I think it is something service dept. did either way I'm happy.

Spyder Garage

As I mentioned above, that is the process I do in starting my 2022 F3L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On our 2015 - 2023 F3 models, turn the key on, tap the Mode button, hit the starter button. Engine will start while the message is playing on the screen on the 2018 and 2023 models. It is a more quiet shift experience to release the parking brake before shifting into gear.

For those that don't know, one can have the engine running and still open the Frunk Lid or release the passenger seat. Depress the key, with the engine still running, rotate CW or CCW to release the respective latch.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Peter A, my 2016 F3-L allowed me to “switch on”, press the mode key and immediately start the Spyder, so it has been around since at least then. Mind you, I can no longer “switch on” myself very quickly these days

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My 2023 F3 - just turn key on and hit mode button. Fire it up. No waiting from day one.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

My 2019 RTL - I don't have to wait, can hit mode before the safety notice, and start it right up.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener
    Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire
    Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps
    KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights + LED Foglights
    High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system

Spyder Garage

My 2024, turn key, roll throttle forward, release throttle, then hit start. That's how I've been doing it all along, no waiting for message to show up or disappear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    My 2024, turn key, roll throttle forward, release throttle, then hit start. That's how I've been doing it all along, no waiting for message to show up or disappear.
    My 2024 works the same way!
    2024 Sea to Sky
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    On our 2015 - 2023 F3 models, turn the key on, tap the Mode button, hit the starter button. Engine will start while the message is playing on the screen on the 2018 and 2023 models. It is a more quiet shift experience to release the parking brake before shifting into gear.

For those that don't know, one can have the engine running and still open the Frunk Lid or release the passenger seat. Depress the key, with the engine still running, rotate CW or CCW to release the respective latch.
    I didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black