Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

How difficult is the axle swap? My new RT Limited is in same boat. If dealer ships bike to me without the correct axle, can I do the swap, or is this a dealer type of repair?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 04:23 PM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    How difficult is the axle swap? My new rt limited is in same boat. If dealer ships bike to me without the correct axle, can I do the swap, or is this a dealer type of repair?
    You can, but if the replacement axle is covered under warranty so would the labor. I would have the dealer do it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:07 AM. Reason: .
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

BRP sourced axles from additional suppliers to get product out the door. In many cases the axles have a hole that is smaller in diameter than required to install the trailer hitch bolt or in some cases the axles are solid.

BRP is offering a replacement axle to those installing a hitch. However, initially I was told by my dealer that this was only for customers installing a factory hitch and not an aftermarket kit. I squawked by writing a civil letter of complaint to my dealer who agreed to install the new axle for free.

My logic was that most buyers of 2022 Spyders already paid a premium (commodity fee) and had to take delayed delivery of their unit. Up until 2022 Spyders came factory ready to install a hitch without any additional cost other than the hitch itself. The courtesy bulletin is 2022-12 and dealers should be well aware of it by now.

I will be curious if all dealers are telling their clients they need to purchase a BRP hitch in order to get the axle installed for free. IMO, it's a cheap shot. I found an aftermarket hitch for $299 on sale with wiring harness vs. $669 (list) for a BRP hitch. Good luck in getting your issue addressed/resolved.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2024 at 07:28 PM.
    2022 RTL , Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I just went to a closer dealership (not where I purchased my F3T) with the bulletin in hand. They wanted to charge me $ for the newer axle, plus labor, AND tried to sell me the BRP trailer hitch! Then charge me more for installation too! My F3T is still on factory warranty. Will call the dealership where I bought it and see what they say! Thanks for the info.

BTW, CanAmSpyderaccesories out of Canada have an awesome hitch and “plug-and-play” light harness for very reasonable price, and states “will not void factory warranty”.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2023 at 05:30 PM. Reason: tlo ...
    2022 F3-T , Glacier Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

The 22s are coming like yours WITHOUT the hollow axle. It's due to a parts supply issue for BRP that was preventing bikes from being built.
    I've experienced the same situation on my 2022 F3-T. The Bulletin # is PA&A 2022-12...rear wheel axle replacement needed. Have dealt directly with BRP and have a case # opened. BRP called my dealership, they found the "RECALL" notice, but NO dealership had been notified about this situation. When given my VIN # this did NOT show up for CORRECT axle replacement. The service manager went through all correspondence to BRP, already ordered the replacement axle and nut. This IS a WARRANTY, RECALL bulletin and NO charge to customer for parts and labor. The required parts listed for SOLUTION are: Rear wheel axle-705501691 nut- 250100170. PLEASE keep in mind there is an expiration date of October, 2024. Sorry for the late response and info,

Spyder Garage

I know this may be a late post. I’ve researched this problem to the final decision from BRP Warranty department. The final decision from them is: “When INSTALLING the hitch (THEIR BRP trailer hitch assembly) and the solid axle needs to be swapped out for the “hollow” axle, then there is no charge for parts or labor, for the $99 axle and new nut. The BRP hitch unit costs $800. I just told my dealer order me the correct axle and nut ($110 total) and when part/s arrive he would install it for free. I would do it myself, but I want it done by a BRP cert. mechanic so it’s under warranty.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 07:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry I'm late on this, the “hollow” axle was a “bulletin”. 2022’s had a supply issue and put in “solid axles”. I’ve gone around with BRP warranty and my dealership, for over 2 months!! Final response was “If there is a problem with installing a trailer hitch, (being a solid axle) BRP would send a new “hollow” axle to accommodate THEIR trailer hitch assembly!!" In other words, they want YOU to purchase THEIR entire trailer hitch (NOW $789) and then there would be no charge for the “hollow axle” and nut!! I just picked up the required “hollow” axle and the “jam nut”, now waiting on the long shaft that goes through the axle.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 03:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nope. I have a copy of the service bulletin; Can-Am will replace the solid axle for free, but the service bulletin expires 10/24. My dealer tried same bs.

Also, not true you have to buy OEM parts. Harley just lost million $$$ lawsuit with FTC for trying the same story! You can do all the work yourself; have someone else do it; and even use aftermarket parts, and the warranty is still good.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 03:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

I just started down this rabbit hole also. New 2022 RT Ltd. Traded in 2015 and removed the BRP hitch to install on new bike, guess what, axle bore is too small to accept the axle bolt. Saw the bulletin and was wondering if it pertains to new hitch kits sold or are older hitches (which physically slide on and fit) excluded from any "warranty" recall? Could a machine shop shave down the diameter of the axle bolt to fit? Would it still be safe?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

We had the same problem on our 2022 RT. We had to buy a new axle. The old one will not work. The new axle has a hole all of the way through it. We had to order it from a Can-Am dealer and the cost was just over a $100 for the axle. No matter what trailer hitch you have, you have to replace the axle.
    2015 RT LTD , Red

Spyder Garage

I believe a machine shop could drill the axle out on a lathe. Bruce
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:12 PM.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Uticat View Post
    I just started down this rabbit hole also. New 2022 RT Ltd. Traded in 2015 and removed the BRP hitch to install on new bike, guess what, axle bore is too small to accept the axle bolt. Saw the bulletin and was wondering if it pertains to new hitch kits sold or are older hitches (which physically slide on and fit) excluded from any "warranty" recall? Could a machine shop shave down the diameter of the axle bolt to fit? Would it still be safe?
    I don't have a hitch, but I am a machinist. I wouldn't have the axle BOLT reduced to a smaller size. That could mean a less holding or torquing problem. What has been proven, is that the axle hole has been made bigger by BRP without cause for failure. So in this case, the axle might be case hardened and real problem to just "drill out". If the machine shop has a carbide bit drill of the proper diameter, drilling it out could work. If you can't get a new axle per the recall bulletin, which looks like it expires 10-2024, then just buy the proper axle with proper size hole in it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 09:16 PM. Reason: but ... ;-)
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Maybe some confusion on my end. My wheel/axle assembly is hollow all the way thru, but the long hitch securing bolt is the issue I have, as the one from my old BRP hitch is too big in diameter to fit thru to the other side. Does anyone have the correct part# for the proper sized bolt? And can I reuse the castle nut and washers?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2024 at 07:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Maybe some confusion on my end. My wheel/axle assembly is hollow all the way thru but the long hitch securing bolt is The issue I have as the one from my old BRP hitch is to big in diameter to fit thru to the other side, does anyone have the correct part# for the propre sized bolt and can I reuse the castle nut and washers?
    Your 'wheel/axle assembly might be hollow all the way thru', but what pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread is saying is that most likely, it's NOT the bolt from your old hitch that's the issue!!

Read thru the entire thread from the beginning, maybe look up this BRP Technical Service Bulletin # is PA&A 2022-12 Rear Wheel Axle Replacement Needed. Then Re-read post #28 above - due to sourcing problems, BRP supplied Spyders (around the time yours was made) with axles that either had a 'too small' hole thru the middle, or the axle was entirely solid - so it's the AXLE itself, which is the problem, and NOT your bolt!! You need to take a copy of that TSB to your dealer and get the correct AXLE; in which case, if they don't actually give you new castle nut and washers with that correct axle, you should be able to re-use your existing castle nut & washers! There is no other part# for the BOLT, cos you already have the correct BOLT, you just don't have the correct AXLE! Going by one of the posts above, the correct Part#'s required are - Rear wheel axle - 705501691 & Nut - 250100170 ...

So you DO NOT need to get a smaller dia bolt for your hitch - BRP do not, as far as anyone here so far is aware, supply one; and purchasing elsewhere or machining down your existing bolt is potentially a safety issue that could cost you dearly in the event that your hitch parts company with your Spyder due to the sub-standard & non-OEM hitch bolt you used!! Possibly that's an unlikely event, but who knows?! Are you feeling lucky??

Just get the correct axle, use the bolt you already have, the one that came with your hitch, and all your problems should be solved!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2024 at 07:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hitch availability in Australia?

Martin in Qld has no stock of tow hitches for 2019 F3. Where else can one be purchased? Asking for a friend.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, for clearing things up. So to replace the existing axle, does the rear wheel need to be removed? How is the correct axle installed?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2024 at 11:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, for clearing things up. So to replace the existing axle, does the rear wheel need to be removed? How is the correct axle installed?
    Thanks.
    It's been a minute or two, but IIRC you should be able to get away with just removing the muffler (it'll probably get in the way of pulling the axle shaft/tube out & it's only a couple of screws & a spring or three to give yourself easy access. ) then slackening off the belt tension; & if you're not taking the wheel off, then pushing the incorrect axle shaft/tube out with a dowel (section of broom handle??) that 'drives' the axle tube out thru the hole past where the muffler should be; & then replacing it with the correct axle tube, using it to push the dowel back out, doing that all without actually 'removing' the rear wheel &/or taking the belt off; then re-tensioning the belt & replacing everything. You might even be able to do that without undoing the tensioners on the swing arm at all, if you want to try disconnecting the height adjust sensor arm from the swing arm; jacking the Spyder up so that the rear wheel is juuust lightly touching the ground; undoing the axle nut and pulling the shaft/tube out; then sliding the replacement in...

I can't say that I've ever removed/replaced an axle the latter way, but I reckon it could be do-able - it's just that whenever I get to do something up the back end of a Spyder, there's always more to be done back there - a new tire; brake pads; rear wheel bearings; ACS... I'd sorta hope your 2022 doesn't need anything else done yet, but you never know!!

Nb: Use that dowel/piece of broom handle to push the axle shaft tube out so that it keeps everything in the right place, cos IIRC there's a spacer or two in there that help position the hub in the swing arm, and to locate the brake disc &/or caliper correctly too. First time I pulled the axle, I simply cut a piece of broom handle that was about 6" longer than the axle tube and was just a little less dia than the outside dia of the axle tube, so that it still had enough contact area to push the axle out. Doing it that way keeps everything in place and in the right order, so that even if you need to take the wheel off, you can still see where all the bits & bobs & spacers came from/will need to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Hitch availability in Australia?

Martin in Qld has no stock of tow hitches for 2019 F3. Where else can one be purchased? Asking for a friend.
    Last I looked, Freddy, the Classic Towbars mob who used to make a/mkt hitches here in SA have gone out of business, so unless you know of/can find any others selling a/mkt, your friend'll probably either need to source a 2nd hand hitch; or buy OEM!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2024 at 12:03 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for your information. Since the bike is new (new old stock), I've sent the dealer an email with the bulletin attached and hopefully this will be resolved as others have done. Love this site!

Spyder Garage

Peter said: Last I looked, Freddy, the Classic Towbars mob who used to make a/mkt hitches here in SA have gone out of business, so unless you know of/can find any others selling a/mkt, your friend'll probably either need to source a 2nd hand hitch; or buy OEM!

I see Lamonster Garage has them relatively cheap. It's a 2016 trike, not 2019 he tells me. I'll contact them for shipping estimate.

Next question - is there anything special about wiring up a trailer harness plug? I see they are out of stock of the plug & play item.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/trai...els-lamonster/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2024 at 07:25 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.