Spyder Garage

Default Anybody used Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-40 A3/B4 Adv Full Synthetic Motor Oil?

This oil is selling for about $28 for a 5 qt jug. Has anyone tried this oil?

Thanks, johnv
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Title clarification
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

It doesn't say anything about a JASO rating. Unless you can confirm that it is JASO rated MA2, then I wouldn't risk a clutch on it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone using Castrol Actevo 4T 10W/40? It is a blend, and MA/MA2 rated with a motorcycle shown on the front of the container. It is what I'm looking for and the weight specified in the Owner's Manual. Readily available at Walmart. Amazon comments are all good for motorcycle use in Florida heat, think I'm gonna give it a shot since I can't get Rotella T6 in 10/40.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Anyone using Castrol Actevo 4T 10W/40? It is a blend, and MA/MA2 rated with a motorcycle shown on the front of the container. It is what I'm looking for and the weight specified in the Owner's Manual. Readily available at Walmart. Amazon comments are all good for motorcycle use in Florida heat, think I'm gonna give it a shot since I can't get Rotella T6 in 10/40.
    Not in the Spyder, but I used it in a past Triumph Tiger 800 XC. I do use 10w40 in my Spyder...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:40 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Blended oil is a marketing gimmick (in my opinion). It is 90% cheap, regular mineral oil with a meager 10% synthetic. Just go 100% synthetic and get 100% of the good stuff. Also, I believe a 10w 40 is a better viscosity for the Spyder unless you leave it outside in sub-zero temps for long periods. BRP used to make lubricants specific to each vehicle they sold. When they did they recommended 10w/40 for the Spyder. But they consolidated many years ago and now it's pretty much a One Size Fits All scenario from snowmobiles to Spyders. Cost cutting for the manufacturer. But not necessarily best for the vehicle. I know many will say they've been using the blended 5w/40 for X-Miles and had no problem. And I'm sure that's true. But if you want to put a better lubricant into your machine for pretty much the same price, full synthetic 10w/40 is a better way to go.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, you talk I listen. Mobil One is all I can find in the full synthetic 10/40, is that what you are using?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 08:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post

Thanks, johnv
    As a start, I would research if 540rat has tested the oil. If he has, how did it compare to other motorcycle oils of the same viscosity?

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Over the years I have seen other folks mentioning they ran that oil.

Spyder Garage

Ron, you talk I listen. Mobil One is all I can find in the full synthetic 10/40, is that what you are using?
    I hope you are referring to Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil only. The automotive oil, while good, is great for your Spyders engine, but not the clutch.

Our Spyder has had Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil in it since after break in. That oil does fine down here in SoFlo during the summer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Ron, you talk I listen. Mobil One is all I can find in the full synthetic 10/40, is that what you are u are using?
    I appreciate the kind words. But I'm just another voice. One more opinion to add to the stack. No one knows it all and there are a good number of smart people on this forum. I'm just glad I can help from time to time.

In my opinion, Mobil 1 is a good choice. Certainly better than the XPS (or any) blended oil. We use Amsoil because it has consistently tested better in the Spyder than anything else we've tried (or customers have used and tested). But there are other worthy lubricants out there. Mobil 1 being one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As a start, I would research if 540rat has tested the oil. If he has, how did it compare to other motorcycle oils of the same viscosity?

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Over the years I have seen other folks mentioning they ran that oil.
    Interesting reading. But the nastiest engine in the world isn't going to put oil through what our Spyders (and motorcycle engines in general) will. In short, I'm talking transmission. Transmission gears crush oil in a way that engines just don't. Overall, transmissions are much harder on oil than engines. That's why most transmissions run a completely different lubricant. But to save room and weight, motorcycle transmissions are incorporated into and use the same oil as the engine. And this is where a better lubricant really makes a difference.

It is the transmission which smashes, crushes, and shears your blended oil molecules down, reducing the viscosity from 40 to 20 around the 5,000 mile mark. Then both the engine and transmission have to live with a much thinner oil.

One of the reasons I prefer a 10/40 is that the wider the separation between these 2 numbers, the less able a lubricant is to stand up to the crushing force of the transmission. It's just an inherent trait of all multi-viscosity lubricants. So, if you don't need a really thin oil at startup (which the Spyder/Ryker do not), then why sacrifice capability for a feature you don't need?

In the end, it comes down to the fact that it's your bike. Do what you think best.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I hope you are referring to Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil only. The automotive oil, while good, is great for your Spyders engine, but not the clutch.

Our Spyder has had Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil in it since after break in. That oil does fine down here in SoFlo during the summer.
    Yes, whichever oil you end up using. It needs to have a JASO rating of MA2. If it does not, then you run great risk of slipping your clutch. A little bit of this and you're going to need a very expensive repair. Some oils do meet the JASO MA2 rating but the manufacturer has chosen not to spend the money to get the product certified in this category because they are not targeting wet clutch users. But you need to be very careful if you go this route.

OilJaso.jpg

One last thing. Some people see threads like this, throw up their hands and say, 'I'm just going to go with what the manufacturer recommends'. While this will get you to the next gas station, it's not rocket science. Just a bit of effort can go a long way in giving you a better product for about the same amount of money.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-17-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

I'm using Castrol Power1 4T full synthetic for my last 2 oil changes. Before that I was using Mobil1 4T motorcycle racing oil, but I found the Castrol on sale at Amazon for less and decided to try it. Bike's performance has been flawless with either oil.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, are you using 10/40 Synthetic, if so, what brand?

Spyder Garage

Ron, are you using 10/40 Synthetic, if so, what brand?
    We use Amsoil.

Spyder Garage

Hello all, I'm currently using penzoil Euro full synthetic 5w-40. Meets BRP specs and runs/shifts fine. I've picked out the activo for my next change but I'm interested in this jaso spec baja is talking about, going to read up on that thanks!
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post

Thanks, johnv
    Moorman's feed company back in the 70's used the slogan "Only the truly rich can afford to feed a cheap feed"!
    2016 Spyder RTL SE6