Spyder Garage

Default Anyone ever used a Universal Cruise Control on 2020 RT?

Anyone ever used a Universal Cruise Control?
    Mine does not work on my bike. Any recommendations on a good one for my model?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

You'd be a lot better off to get your built-in fully integrated with all the other Systems and features BRP Factory Cruise Control TO work, instead of trying to tack on any stand-alone generic/universal alternative!!

There's not too many things that can go wrong with the cruise control on our Spyders, and the vast majority of those are fairly simple fixes - the other few, extremely rare occurrences/issues that can stop the cruise control from working are generally indicators of MAJOR issues that are just the beginnings of what's soon to come, and if you don't get them fixed, you very likely soon won't have a running bike!

So, tell us more about the how/why/when your cruise control doesn't work?? Is it turned on properly? Are you running the engine at high enough revs for that gear for it to engage? Are you sure your foot isn't touching the brake pedal AT ALL? You don't have a larger brake pedal fitted, do you? Have you checked & cleaned/reset the brake pedal micro-switch? Exactly what HAVE you done that makes you believe it's not working enough to want to bastardize your Spyder's Safety & Control Systems by installing a 'universal cruise control'??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 03:14 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I love the factory CC on my two 2018.

The only thing that would make them better would be adaptive CC like my 2021 F150 has. However my right thumb has learned to make the speed adjustments.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 05-16-2024 at 04:05 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You'd be a lot better off to get your built-in fully integrated with all the other Systems and features BRP Factory Cruise Control TO work, instead of trying to tack on any stand-alone generic/universal alternative!!

There's not too many things that can go wrong with the cruise control on our Spyders, and the vast majority of those are fairly simple fixes - the other few, extremely rare occurrences/issues that can stop the cruise control from working are generally indicators of MAJOR issues that are just the beginnings of what's soon to come, and if you don't get them fixed, you very likely soon won't have a running bike!

So, tell us more about the how/why/when your cruise control doesn't work?? Is it turned on properly? Are you running the engine at high enough revs for that gear for it to engage? Are you sure your foot isn't touching the brake pedal AT ALL? You don't have a larger brake pedal fitted, do you? Have you checked & cleaned/reset the brake pedal micro-switch? Exactly what HAVE you done that makes you believe it's not working enough to want to bastardize your Spyder's Safety & Control Systems by installing a 'universal cruise control'??
    A few times it will work for a mile or two then it goes off. I'm pretty tired of messing with it. How would I find the brake pedal micro switch?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    Anyone ever used a Universal Cruise Control?
    Mine does not work on my bike. Any recommendations on a good one for my model?
    Since you don't provide much information perhaps it's user error. Do you slide the CC button to the right then press it down to set the speed? To increase speed while moving simply press the CC button up until you reach the speed you want. To release the CC setting you can shift, press on the brake pedal or slide the CC button to the left.
    Do you have the extended BEST warranty or some other? If so, bring it to your dealer.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

A few times it will work for a mile or two then it goes off. I'm pretty tired of messing with it. How would I find the brake pedal micro switch?
    Thanks
    What you describe above sounds very much like either an operator error, in not keeping your foot off & clear of the brake pedal when you aren't actually braking - make SURE you are not touching the pedal; a dirty switch, which the cleaning will help; or a loose or stretched spring... do some searching & read up on the solutions, it's all here already, and it's certainly not sounding like anything to warrant fitting some other 'non-integrated' &/or dodgy cruise control over!

Get down to where you can see in/under the Spyder's skirts to the workings of the brake pedal - the pedal operates a cylinder that has some wiring on it along with a return spring to pull the pedal back up once you get your foot off the brake - clean that area well (brake clean or contact cleaner spray will work, but NOT WD40, it might exclude water, but it will attract & retain dust & other crap that'll make the switch more prone to failure! ) and check that the pedal IS returning fully once you're off it! Search on 'Brake micro-switch'; 'brake reset'; &/or 'brake spring' for more info, including specs/pics of the spring required.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The 2020's had a brake light switch recall. Did you get this done?

If you got it used and do not know then you might want to get your dealer to run the vin to see if it was ever done.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Not all that pertinent to this thread. But I have installed aftermarket CC on the older models that don't come with this feature.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-16-2024 at 02:12 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not all the pertinent to this thread. But I have installed aftermarket CC on the older models that don't come with this feature.
    I don't see how that is not pertinent. It is exactly what he asked for.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I don't see how that is not pertinent. It is exactly what he asked for.
    Because the old models had no provision for a cruise control which cut options. Whereas the newer models do. I'd certainly go with the OEM if that is available at any kind of reasonable price. Though the universal CC worked well on the older bikes. I think an integrated system would be a better choice. That's all I meant.

There is a guy in Australia that makes an aftermarket CC specifically for motorcycles. It's spendy, but I suppose that would also be an option.

Spyder Garage

I used it for 2 years without much problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 07:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

All the more reason to think your problem now is due to something like a dirty brake micro-switch or maybe even something like a dodgy/tired brake return spring?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Peter. Do what you have to and get the OEM working. It may be nothing serious at all.

Spyder Garage

I used some brake spray on it.
    Seems much better, but I'll know more tomorrow. Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)