Spyder Garage

Default Is there any way of retrieving codes on a 2010 with broken lcd/no BUDS?

TLDR: My lcd is broken. How can I see what my screen says, OR get my diagnostic codes without the screen or BUDS?

Hi everyone!!!! This is my first post here. I'm a new rider and have been soaking up information like a sponge in my journey to fix my new-to-me 2010 Spyder RS-S SE5. The collection of information here is invaluable!

So, here is my biggest issue that I'm facing. My check engine light is on, and I don't have a clue why. I'd love to do the secret handshake and let her whisper her problems to me, but the dang lcd screen is broken. �� Womp womp

So, other than BUDS or my display, is there another way to get the codes? Is there maybe an OBD scanner or a scanner adapter that I could use?

Might there be a way to connect to a different screen to see the output? I found something that claims to connect to this model bike and show you speed, temp, rpms, fuel, etc but no mention of showing what's scrolling.

I attached a picture of my screen (I think). What are the chances that I could take the display's circuit board out and clean the connections with alcohol and fix it? What are the chances that I make the bike inoperable by doing so? (I tried once. Took it apart. Got scared & put it back before I attempted to remove the actual display. �� )

Could it be something else causing the display to look the way it does? Would the fuses or battery cause it, the same way they are often the culprit of other display problems? Or, judging by the way it looks, is it definitely just that little screen?

I 100% understand it may not be possible, but I would like to avoid taking it to a professional. I think that also means I can't swap everything out for a new display because of matching it with ECM.

Any and all help you can offer would be much appreciated!!! I know I asked a lot of questions, but I held back the other 283 questions I came up with while I excitedly waited to be approved for posting. �� TYIA!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoppertopCruiser View Post
    TLDR: My lcd is broken. How can I see what my screen says, OR get my diagnostic codes without the screen or BUDS?

Hi everyone!!!! This is my first post here. I'm a new rider and have been soaking up information like a sponge in my journey to fix my new-to-me 2010 Spyder RS-S SE5. The collection of information here is invaluable!

So, here is my biggest issue that I'm facing. My check engine light is on, and I don't have a clue why. I'd love to do the secret handshake and let her whisper her problems to me, but the dang lcd screen is broken. �� Womp womp

So, other than BUDS or my display, is there another way to get the codes? Is there maybe an OBD scanner or a scanner adapter that I could use?

Might there be a way to connect to a different screen to see the output? I found something that claims to connect to this model bike and show you speed, temp, rpms, fuel, etc but no mention of showing what's scrolling.

I attached a picture of my screen (I think). What are the chances that I could take the display's circuit board out and clean the connections with alcohol and fix it? What are the chances that I make the bike inoperable by doing so? (I tried once. Took it apart. Got scared & put it back before I attempted to remove the actual display. �� )

Could it be something else causing the display to look the way it does? Would the fuses or battery cause it, the same way they are often the culprit of other display problems? Or, judging by the way it looks, is it definitely just that little screen?

I 100% understand it may not be possible, but I would like to avoid taking it to a professional. I think that also means I can't swap everything out for a new display because of matching it with ECM.

Any and all help you can offer would be much appreciated!!! I know I asked a lot of questions, but I held back the other 283 questions I came up with while I excitedly waited to be approved for posting. �� TYIA!
    You have an older Spyder and I don't know the Sequence of button pusing for retrieving codes. ....My 2014 RT is different. Someone will chime in and tell you ..... However you might try this ..... Dis-connect both Battery leads .... touch them together .... now reconnect to battery using STAR washers on the terminals..... If you have a properly charged battery this may clear this issue .... I ALWAYS remove my key from the ignition switch & move it at least 6 in. from the switch. ....this allows the computers to re-boot .... How is your battery ???? ... IMHO a weak battery is the main cause of a large number of Spyder issues .... good luck & .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike. Afaik no issues with the battery. It was unplugged a few weeks ago with the hopes of resetting things.

I don't need the secret knock. Just the window to see who is at the door.
    Last edited by CoppertopCruiser; 05-14-2024 at 11:49 PM.