Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RTS, adjustable back rest - how to adjust forward?

Hi,

My 2016 RTS had the adjustable back rest on it when I bought it. I've looked high and low and can't find instructions on how to adjust it forward. According to the installation video by Pierre on YT, the small black plate (the last part he installed) adjusts the "depth" of the back rest up and back. Unfortunately, he didn't go into HOW to do that. Before I get out the tools and possibly mess up the entire assembly, can anyone shed some light, please? I'm frustrated that I have a nice back rest and can't use it because it's too far back. Thanks!

The video, cued up to the part I'm questioning.
    https://youtu.be/F5GeeR5l1xY?t=328
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2023 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Moved per "No Questions in DIY" in Sticky! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Based purely on the video, it looks like you loosen the bottom two bolts. Then you can rotate the curved surface Pierre described to adjust the seat back forward or rearward in an arc. Then re-tighten. Hope this helps.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I've got a similar one on my '22 RT and the plate is made so you loosen the 2 screws and slide the plate up, & tighten if you want the backrest forward.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2023 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forword... ;-)
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Thank you! I loosened the bolts slid the plate up as far as it would go, but it still wasn’t enough. So I took the boots and the plate completely out, flipped the plate over, and reinstalled with the plate slide all the way up. It worked!

Spyder Garage

You did exactly the right thing. Wish I had caught this thread a bit sooner but trust me that's how it's designed to work.

Spyder Garage

My dad was never afraid to take anything apart and put it back together. So I channeled my Dad and got out the allen wrenches.

Thanks everyone for your replies.