Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2022 Ryker Rally - Rattle in Drive Shaft/Under Seat at Low RPM/Speed - any ideas?

Good evening everyone.

Purchased a 2022 Ryker Rally from my local dealer 05.04.2024 "New". After a 48-mile ride (Eco Mode Off), while going through a school zone on my way home I felt shaking and could hear rattling from under my seat. Got home and attempted to reproduce it and it wasn't difficult. It's consistent. It seems to happen only at low RPM's, below 2000 and 2400. The engine was at operating temp, idle about 850rpm and no visible physical interference in the area where I think the sound is coming from. Sort of difficult for me to pinpoint. Had my neighbor walk alongside me while recording for reference (please see link).

Note: This Rally was delivered to me after purchase. I contacted the dealership regarding this noise and they're coming to pick it up for inspection due to safety concerns tomorrow 05.07.2024. Thought maybe they allowed test drives on this unit or something, so I inquired about the 68 miles on it. My salesman explained to me this Ryker was lent to a school for training use.

https://youtu.be/jua5kJwr3qE

Anyways, I'm very nervous of my purchase now and possibly regretting it. I'm not sure if this is normal for the Ryker or possibly a mechanical issue related to this vehicle being used as a trainer, so I'd like to reach out to the community. Possibly one of you has experienced this and could explain it to me?

Please let me know if you need more details and I'll do my best to provide that.

Thank you for taking the time reading this,

Jason
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2024 at 11:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

That is definitely a worrysome noise!!

Mind you, it's a CVT drive system, so it's really quite hard to mess things with them 'accidentally' in the short term, even if it was lent to a training school & they did 68 miles on it! There's just not too much that anyone can do to them in such a short time/milage unless they did it deliberately, no matter how incompetent the riders may have been - so I doubt it's actually been caused by the ride school riding per se!!

BUT, it certainly sounds like something is wrong in there, or maybe in the shaft/drive pinion; and if so, then it's far more likely something that's been present from the factory, regardless of what furphy's you might hear from BRP &/or the dealer!!

Good thing that it's gotta be covered by warranty!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2024 at 11:39 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your finding out about this Rykers history NOW ..... I wonder what else they didn't bother to mention .... Hope they fix this for you ....on their dime ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me, someone forgot to tighten something in there! If your shop is anything at all I think they will find the Gremlin in the box easily. If you were to start to fix it yourself, I would say start with opening your drive belt compartment up, like if you were going to replace your belt, and see what's loose in there.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Would a cracked wheel nut make that noise? I know Can-Am had a recall on those. Worth a look.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The OP states 'Under the Seat'. Sounds like CVT chatter to me and not a driveshaft issue. The driveshaft on the Ryker is pretty bullet proof. Not saying it couldn't be the driveshaft. But why would a loose driveshaft only make noise at low RPM?

You need to do the first 50 miles or so going easy on the CVT drive system to let the belt seat in properly. If the early riders were hard on the throttle that could have created this problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-07-2024 at 07:58 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you all for the replies. It'll be picked up this afternoon. It does have the one year warranty and there's been no hesitation on their end regarding this so my confidence is high.

I'll definitely post their findings and solution once one is provided to me for the community for future reference.

-Flud

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The OP states 'Under the Seat'. Sounds like CVT chatter to me and not a driveshaft issue. The driveshaft on the Ryker is pretty bullet proof. Not saying it couldn't be the driveshaft. But why would a loose driveshaft only make noise at low RPM?

You need to do the first 50 miles or so going easy on the CVT drive system to let the belt seat in properly. If the early riders were hard on the throttle that could have created this problem.
    I immediately thought this when the rep told me about it being loaned to the school. But They also use a trainer key so like Peter Aawen mentions, I'm not totally convinced they harmed the machine.

BRP site mentions the following though.

"Small high-performance engines such as the ones found in the Can-Am Ryker models do require a “break in” period where the vehicle’s parts (specifically the engine internals) are allowed to become acclimated to the demands of use. This is a period of 200 miles or 300 KM.

During this period the engine should not be used at high engine RPM levels nor should you accelerate abruptly. The vehicle should be used in a gentle manner to ensure the greatest longevity and reliability. You should also avoid use of the cruise control during this time as this maintains a consistent engine RPM, which we are trying to avoid." - BRP
    Last edited by Fludtastic; 05-07-2024 at 10:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Would a cracked wheel nut make that noise? I know Can-Am had a recall on those. Worth a look.
    Definitely! Thank you for the info. I'll look into it and forward the mechanic the report for the 2022 if I can find one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fludtastic View Post
    I immediately thought this when the rep told me about it being loaned to the school. But They also use a trainer key so like Peter Aawen mentions, I'm not totally convinced they harmed the machine.

BRP site mentions the following though.

"Small high-performance engines such as the ones found in the Can-Am Ryker models do require a “break in” period where the vehicle’s parts (specifically the engine internals) are allowed to become acclimated to the demands of use. This is a period of 200 miles or 300 KM.

During this period the engine should not be used at high engine RPM levels nor should you accelerate abruptly. The vehicle should be used in a gentle manner to ensure the greatest longevity and reliability. You should also avoid use of the cruise control during this time as this maintains a consistent engine RPM, which we are trying to avoid." - BRP
    It is ironic that the very purpose and one great advantage of the CVT system is in its ability to maintain a consistent, unvarying engine RPM.

Spyder Garage

Quick update.

The Rally was picked up and I had driven to the shop shortly after that to meet with the lead technician. Quite a few people in the shop showed curiosity and genuine concern. The strongest opinion is the drive belt is possibly making contact with a loosely/incorrectly fitted Insulating mat assembly or guard plate. I left them to it but could not be given an ETA sadly.

Stand by for future updates.

Thanks again,
    Jason

Spyder Garage

It's likely a broken roller on the driven pulley of the CVT causing the belt to be loose and bang against the case.

https://youtu.be/2JnUti9tuwE
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It's likely a broken roller on the driven pulley of the CVT causing the belt to be loose and bang against the case.

https://youtu.be/2JnUti9tuwE
    Thanks for this! I'll forward this over to the mechanic. Could prove to be very helpful.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this! I'll forward this over to the mechanic. Could prove to be very helpful.
    I think the problem will be quite evident once they get into the CVT. I doubt the tech will have much trouble finding the cause.

Spyder Garage

I doubt that it being lent to a "training school" on a closed course would have any adverse effect.

The cause of the rattle should be evident as others have stated once they take the belt cover off. The CVT is a pretty basic system consisting of a primary spring and governor cup with levers that cause the moveable sheave on the primary to engage the belt at a given RPM and a secondary with buttons, a spring and a helix. Should be pretty easy to diagnose and repair. Be sure to post the remedy so that the speculators (me included) will know what your problem was.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    I doubt that it being lent to a "training school" on a closed course would have any adverse effect.

The cause of the rattle should be evident as others have stated once they take the belt cover off. The CVT is a pretty basic system consisting of a primary spring and governor cup with levers that cause the moveable sheave on the primary to engage the belt at a given RPM and a secondary with buttons, a spring and a helix. Should be pretty easy to diagnose and repair. Be sure to post the remedy so that the speculators (me included) will know what your problem was.
    Oh I for sure will. Thank you for your post. Calms my nerves reading that this could possibly more so be a simple fix for them. Still, I'm anxious!

It's currently in their hands now. I'll post an update as soon as I get the news.

Spyder Garage

I think the problem will be quite evident once they get into the CVT. I doubt the tech will have much trouble finding the cause.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,

So I just got off the phone. The lead mechanic contacted me and explained to me that a full service was completed. Air, Oil, Torque Specs checked and found nothing other than a key post loose inside the air box. She reported the belt and rollers are in good condition along with belt tension. I'll post exactly what their report was below. She believe it was possibly the airbox on the left side, saying these are notorious for vibrations but they could not reproduce it.

Now the video I sent in text, she informed me on the call that she could not see the video, only hear it, so I provided a link to her via email to my youtube video. She mention the mechanic rode the trike up to 17 MPH with no issues. I strongly recommended her mechanic perform slow speed maneuvers like demonstrated in the video before completing the diagnostic. Reminded her the bike runs great up to speed, but low RPM rolling is when this occurs. Forward, reverse, forward while turning either direction, reverse while turning either direction etc..

Screenshot 2024-05-14 123715.png

Screenshot 2024-05-14 123840.png

Your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

they are not listening nor reading very well and why would they do a full service...IMHO
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,

So I just got off the phone. The lead mechanic contacted me and explained to me that a full service was completed. Air, Oil, Torque Specs checked and found nothing other than a key post loose inside the air box. She reported the belt and rollers are in good condition along with belt tension. I'll post exactly what their report was below. She believe it was possibly the airbox on the left side, saying these are notorious for vibrations but they could not reproduce it.

Now the video I sent in text, she informed me on the call that she could not see the video, only hear it, so I provided a link to her via email to my youtube video. She mention the mechanic rode the trike up to 17 MPH with no issues. I strongly recommended her mechanic perform slow speed maneuvers like demonstrated in the video before completing the diagnostic. Reminded her the bike runs great up to speed, but low RPM rolling is when this occurs. Forward, reverse, forward while turning either direction, reverse while turning either direction etc..

Screenshot 2024-05-14 123715.png

Screenshot 2024-05-14 123840.png

Your thoughts?
    So, according to the dealership, you don't have a problem.

Spyder Garage

I would say you got to go there and take it for a ride and see if you can make it do that noise, if you can, then they didn't fix the problem; if you can't, then they found the problem with that brace they were talking about! Good luck!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:58 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

So, according to the dealership, you don't have a problem.
    Sorry for the delay. I've been speaking with several people at the dealership including BRP Customer Service regarding this. To make a long story short. BRP has not provided support to the dealership as of yet to help diagnose this noise.

More importantly, the lead mechanic used the link I provided and reviewed the video. She got with the mechanic working on the unit and they reproduced the chattering. She contacted me shortly after informing me that I would not be getting the unit back that day. They don't know what it is. I'm to be contacted for an update as soon as BRP Technical Support reviews the case and provides the dealership mechanics a solution or instructions for further diagnosis. I'm still waiting and don't know when I'll be contacted. Which so far, I'm the only one doing the contacting here. So I'll give it some time and contact them Friday for an update.

Side note: I spoke with the GM 20 minutes ago regarding this case. I've offered to pay the difference for another unit if they'll honor my purchase value towards another vehicle. I'm getting the spiel that once the vehicle is registered it is a used unit and I'm being offered resale credit of $8k back on my purchase. "Bull****" I say!

If the vehicle cannot be fixed after a reasonable number of attempts, they'll have two options.

1) Accept a return of the vehicle from me and refund the full purchase price including fees and taxes, but excluding interest, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer’s use of the vehicle, or
    2) Replace the vehicle with a comparable new model acceptable to the consumer, if one can be agreed upon.

I'm feeling like they're not thinking this through. I believe they can have BRP purchase back this unit, if factory defect, and lose nothing while still retaining a sale if they'd only stop beating around the bush and just let me snag another vehicle off their floor. If they don't do this, they'll simply lose my purchase all-together. I don't understand why they can't see this option as a win-win!?

Anyways, No solution to date. The outcome might not be what we're looking for, but I remain patient and hope the issue is identified and a confident, reassuring solution is found.

Though it's been only a couple of weeks, my patience is running thin. I've already missed a few state event rides. Feeling of depression and regret are starting to set in. I'll update as soon as I have something to update.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

You profile says you are in Oklahoma? Time to research the Lemon Law for Oklahoma:

https://www.oag.ok.gov/oklahomas-lemon-law

"According to the law, there is a presumption that the manufacturer, manufacturer’s agent or dealer has made a reasonable number of attempts, if they have attempted to fix the same defect four or more times during the warranty period or one year following the date of the original delivery of the vehicle, whichever is earlier; or the vehicle is out of service because of the repairs for a total of 30 business days during the same period."
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Jason. I know nothing about Rykers. But what is disturbing to me is the dealership. If I've read this correctly, they didn't disclose to you that the machine was used as a trainer until AFTER you had a problem. And they were REALLY anxious to come get it and look at it, until they couldn't figure it out. And now it's on you. Seems like a training vehicle would fall into the same category as a demo vehicle, and as such, was legally required to be disclosed to you PRIOR to the sale. (it's not the crime, it's the coverup) Of course, this would vary state to state.

They sold it to you as a new vehicle, standing on the technicality that it had never been registered / titled. Now they are standing on the same technicality and you would be penalized because it is a used vehicle. I just have a trustworthiness issue with them. Maybe get some professional advice.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-16-2024 at 06:25 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The drama is strong with this one. Hopefully, a quick and agreeable solution to the problem can be arrived at.