Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Spyder Garage

Yamaha-CT1-175-Green-1.jpg

1969 Yamaha CT1 2 smoker 175.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Floriduh, 1984, 1976 Suzuki GT 750 with 550 badges.....what a rush that thing was, traded it for KZ 750 wish I still had that thing. Then traded the KZ for a 72 Kawasaki H2 with a burnt piston....easy fix. Holy sheet that thing was fast and yes I know I revived an
    My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.

21 Sea To Sky

2 & 3 wheels

Caged

Spyder Garage

Took my test in 1972 on a 1972 Suzuki 250 Hustler.
    16882310332216615649435553615519.jpg
    Last edited by Dasmoetorhead; 05-17-2024 at 11:45 AM.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

I took a 3-wheel training class, which upon completion gave me a document I took to the BMV, which allowed me to bypass the riding test at the BMV in order to have the motorcycle endorsement added to my driver's license.

In the training class I rode a Ryker.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

I took my test later in my years when I got out of the Navy. But I figured go big or go home, so I took the Legendary 1985 ZL900 to the Registry. I had to do a figure eight, then a circle in each direction, come out of the circle and head to the examiner, then come to a full stop. Coming out of my last circle I was leaning so hard that I was scraping my pegs on the ground, before I went WOT, stood it straight, and headed right for the instructor. Right before they started to wave their hands, I did a complete stop right in front of them. They just said "umm, wow, I guess you are good".

Several months later I threw a connecting rod, and I studied the engine case designs Kawasaki was still using on the Concourse and ZRX. Turns out a ZRX1200 would fit into the frame, but I had a few snags. The ZL900 had a 6 speed, was shaft driven, and also had coil ignition. So I split the ZRX case and replaced it with the 6-speed. I then assembled the halves and drilled and tapped a missing hole where the front bevel would mount. Now the ZRX1200 engine was shaft driven and had a 6-speed. Then I wired the coil ignition into the bike.

If you know anything about the ZL900, they were fast in their day; but with the ZRX1200 in the frame, it screamed!
    And yeah, it barely fit, with only about 1/4 inch clearance under the tank.

IMG_2114.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2024 at 10:23 PM.
    Current Ride: 2015 RT Limited
    Previous Rides
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600
    1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900 w/2003 ZRX1200 Stage 3

Spyder Garage

In 1966.... A 1966 Honda Dream.
    It started a long succession of fun bikes for me.

Spyder Garage

I rode for many years back in my younger days (1975ish but that was in Floridia, and I had let my motorcycle license, from Florida, expire).

Fast forward to Illinois and 2009. It was time to get back on two wheels, and with my wife's blessing, I started shopping.

I wanted something big, sporty, fast, comfortable (mostly for the pillion), and that handles well.

I set my sights on a brand-new Kawasaki ZG1400abs. Found a great price on a 2008 with zero miles on it at the local dealer.

I had taken the written MC test, so I have my 'learner's' permit in hand and with a little practice I thought that I'd be ready for the road test at the DMV.

Ok, the ZG1400 is a BIG sport touring bike, and it is by NO MEANS a bike to learn on. That said, it's exactly what I did. Relearn is more accurate.

I did a lot of riding and even took the bike over to the DMV parking lot a few times where they have the MC course setup and I practiced. I thought that I was ready for the test, I wasn't.

No matter how much I tried I just couldn't get through the course without knocking over cones, one too many to pass the course. Crap!!! I took the riding test three times and three times I failed. Damn cones!!!

Then I found out about the MSF training courses in my area. They held them at the local university, where I worked! If I took the course, using their motorcycles, and passed, then I would automatically get my MC designation on my license. Perfect! That's what I did.

It was really fun taking the course using their Honda 250's. I nailed it and got my M classification. The instructor nicknamed me Sparky because I kept leaning way over in turns and dragging the 'drop bars' on the Honda. I ended up taking two more MSF courses there, the final one was on my Kawasaki, a defensive riding course. By this time, I was getting good at handling the beast and I easily made it through the cones and the courses. I had the largest bike of anyone who took the course at that time and, I don't mean to brag, but several of the guys complemented me on how well I handled the large bike, even though I'm 5'5" and the bike is nearly 700lbs.

Still have that bike and I still love it. We got the Spyder because my wife was worried that I wouldn't be able to hold up the big Kaw, at stops, with her on the back. She has a point...
    Last edited by Albec; 05-24-2024 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added details
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series.
    2023 F3 Ltd SS , Mineral Blue / Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by f110tech View Post
    I took my test later in my years when I got out of the Navy. But I figured go big or go home, so I took the Legendary 1985 ZL900 to the Registry. I had to do a figure eight, then a circle in each direction, come out of the circle and head to the examiner, then come to a full stop. Coming out of my last circle I was leaning so hard that I was scraping my pegs on the ground, before I went WOT, stood it straight, and headed right for the instructor. Right before they started to wave their hands, I did a complete stop right in front of them. They just said "umm, wow, I guess you are good".

Several months later I threw a connecting rod, and I studied the engine case designs Kawasaki was still using on the Concourse and ZRX. Turns out a ZRX1200 would fit into the frame, but I had a few snags. The ZL900 had a 6 speed, was shaft driven, and also had coil ignition. So I split the ZRX case and replaced it with the 6-speed. I then assembled the halves and drilled and tapped a missing hole where the front bevel would mount. Now the ZRX1200 engine was shaft driven and had a 6-speed. Then I wired the coil ignition into the bike.

If you know anything about the ZL900, they were fast in their day; but with the ZRX1200 in the frame, it screamed!
    And yeah, it barely fit, with only about 1/4 inch clearance under the tank.

IMG_2114.jpg
    Thumbs up on the Kawasaki Concours! No e. lol

I still have my 2008 Neutron Silver! She's a fast beast!
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series.
    2023 F3 Ltd SS , Mineral Blue / Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

I think I got my license in 1984 on a 1978 Yamaha DT 400. 2 stroke with oil injection. I had to take a skills test to ride in the state I was stationed and a skills test to ride on the Air Force base. It was a breeze on the 400. Folks were dropping Harleys and Goldwings left and right. yamaha.jpg
    Last edited by 700wolvy; 05-24-2024 at 06:44 AM.
    '24 RTL Carbon Black