Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried Shortening the rear mud flap?

I have a ‘21 RT base model. Has anyone tried shortening the rear mud flap? I would think it would make examination of the rear tire so much easier. I have to lay on the ground to check my wear bars. I know the big flap keeps the rooster tail of debris off the bike, but it seems so very long. Worth it or am I out in left field?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2023 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrat View Post
    I have a ‘21 RT base model. Has anyone tried shortening the rear mud flap? I would think it would make examination of the rear tire so much easier. I have to lay on the ground to check my wear bars. I know the big flap keeps the rooster tail of debris off the bike, but it seems so very long. Worth it or am I out in left field?
    Yep it will ..... however it will allow a lot more water to hit the back of your Spyder and Passenger. .... I have a H.M. hitch and that also has a mud flap, that works in conjunction witht the OEM flap which I actually extended ( made longer ) .....Mike

Spyder Garage

if you shorten it, you'll be sorry. i have a 2015 RTL, slightly different in design, but I put on a mudflap extension!! the passenger gets most of the road spray or grime. Just ride a little bit in the rain and you'll see why you need it,,, better yet,,, take your passenger in the rain, let them complain to you

you could always back up on a single plastic ramp to get tread higher to check
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've extended mine to better protect the trailer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I would not shorten it. There's a tempting mark/groove across the lower end that looks inviting; I've thought about it, but resisted the urge. It's long for a reason..., and $199 if you want to change your mind.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Ok, I hear you. I never have a passenger, don’t even have that back seat/top box. (Mine is the base model.) And lengthen it? It’s only 3-4 inches off the ground!
    Anyway, I’ll leave it alone. It was just a thought…

Spyder Garage

I did cut mine off at the mark/groove as mentioned above as it was distorted, like something had been pressed into it for an extended period of time. The stealership (no longer a dealer) agreed to replace it, but then backed out at the last moment. I tried heating it up to reshaping it, but it still looked like crap. I think it looks great now, more of an aggressive stance/look... "that's pretty big shoe you got there!" a passer-by said to me.

We ride always ride solo (we each have 2020RT std.), so anything that flings up is a non-issue for us and we like the look. My .02

spyder butt 2.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2023 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I cut mine at the mark also. While pulling into a parking lot that was substantially lower than the road, the flap hit pretty hard and had some noticeable scuffs. I cut it that night to avoid doing more serious damage if it happened again. On a recent 3500 mile trip, we hit rain for 3 days. I didn’t notice any real difference in water protection or spray from the rear wheel.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

What we have here is another example of two very different models of Spyders.

While they are all Rt's the 2020+ models appear to be longer than the pre 2020 models. Even when you install a hitch to these, you are told to cut the flap off at the line. (I did not)

Like the op states, the newer ones are very low to the ground from the factory.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue