Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you handle different tire pressure readings?

How do you handle different tire pressures?

I recently purchased a portable tire inflator to handle the task of adding air, when needed, to my tires. In addition to that I also purchased a JACO digital tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure of my tires. But, as if that wasn’t enough, I also purchased and installed the FOBO 2 TPMS to monitor my tire pressure in real time. The problem is each of these devices tend to show three different pressure readings for the tires. There is usually not more then a 2-4psi difference in each devices readings. So the question is which one to believe?

In reading reviews of the various devices I believed the JACO gauge was the gold standard for these devices. Likewise the tire inflator also got excellent reviews. My thought was to use the inflator to over inflate the tires a little, and then use the JACO to deflate them back down to the recommended psi rating. But I’m sure if I do that, then when I screw the FOBO’s back on they are going to display a psi different from that the JACO showed. This is giving me a headache. Your thoughts please….
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Now that is a dilemma. Let us know what you end up doing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Greg, my JACO is within 3/10 of a master gauge consistently so that is the one I would rely on. Two of the three FOBO's should read real close to each other. Put them on the front and the other on the rear. My fronts are off by 4/10 and 5/10 so less than 1/2 pound. The rear is off by a pound. Make the adjustment mentally and you are good to go.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Jaco. If the FOBO readings being different really bothers you then adjust to them and don't worry about it.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

I recently purchased a portable tire inflator to handle the task of adding air, when needed, to my tires. In addition to that I also purchased a JACO digital tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure of my tires. But, as if that wasn’t enough, I also purchased and installed the FOBO 2 TPMS to monitor my tire pressure in real time. The problem is each of these devices tend to show three different pressure readings for the tires. There is usually not more then a 2-4psi difference in each devices readings. So the question is which one to believe?

In reading reviews of the various devices I believed the JACO gauge was the gold standard for these devices. Likewise the tire inflator also got excellent reviews. My thought was to use the inflator to over inflate the tires a little, and then use the JACO to deflate them back down to the recommended psi rating. But I’m sure if I do that, then when I screw the FOBO’s back on they are going to display a psi different from that the JACO showed. This is giving me a headache. Your thoughts please….
    All my tires are the same on my car, but the gauge says different. Funny how that works.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: ' 's :-/
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Performance/handling and tread wear are how you determine proper psi. You will NEVER find two or more pressure gauges that will agree on the same EXACT pressure. Simply pick one that works well for you and enjoy your ride. Fretting over 2/3 psi will turn you into a candidate for the funny farm. FOBO's are an excellent choice to monitor your psi.

Spyder Garage

Rule of thumb. A quality, digital pressure gauge will be your best meter. Quality FOBO's next. Your air pressure pump last in line. Even a good one is usually going to be the lesser in accuracy. The thing about the front tires is getting them the same. Using the digital gauge, even if it is off. It will be off the exact same amount for both tires. Get them the same with the digital and note what your FOBO's read. Then go with that. Adjust, up or down, if necessary, using the digital gauge. You'll be GOLDEN!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Rule of thumb. A quality, digital pressure gauge will be your best meter. Quality FOBO's next. Your air pressure pump last in line. Even a good one is usually going to be the lesser in accuracy. The thing about the front tires is getting them the same. Using the digital gauge, even if it is off. It will be off the exact same amount for both tires. Get them the same with the digital and note what your FOBO's read. Then go with that. Adjust, up or down, if necessary, using the digital gauge. You'll be GOLDEN!
    .... and buy or make a DUAL feed air pressure device to get them instantly equal .... ( it's easy to make ) .... and whatever gauge you use, use ONLY that gauge - if it's off slightly , at least it will be consistant. ....JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Greg, what did you do when you only had the one gauge? Pick the gauge that YOU like the best (I chose FOBO II) and put the others in a drawer. Only use the one!

Remember what Peter says.........RIDE MORE.......WORRY LESS!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. From the consensus, I think I'm going to use the inflator to add extra air to each tire. Then use the JACO to bring them back down to prescribed psi. Finally I'll make the adjustment to the FOBO 2's settings to avoid that loud warning alarm and call it a day.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

One thing to look for on the Jaco, is the needle going all the way back down to the little peg with no air in it?
    On my older one I noticed that it wasnt and it was over inflating by that amount. In all honestly I think it was my fault that it got off as I have also used it to check my tractor tires and they have antifreeze in them.
    I then got one and it didnt work right out of the box, the needle was behind the peg so it was stuck in -place. # 3 works great again.

The Jaco and the FOBO should be really close.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. From the consensus, I think I'm going to use the inflator to add extra air to each tire. Then use the JACO to bring them back down to prescribed psi. Finally I'll make the adjustment to the FOBO 2's settings to avoid that loud warning alarm and call it a day.
    Don't know if I should mention this to you or not. But, if you are running FOBOs you'll find it out anyway. Your tires will change psi on their own w/o any help from you. Depending on the time of year you are riding, how far you've ridden, which side of you the sun is on, the altitude you are riding in, the speed at which you are riding, and other ambient influences your psi can vary as much as 4/5 psi at different times. Don't worry about it, it's normal. Just keep your FOBO's alarm set for a large or sudden change in psi. That's what FOBOs are for. Ride safely have fun and good luck.

Spyder Garage

Check the pressure gauge on your filler hose. I use an AstroAl filler that has a built in gauge, and it matches my Fobo2 exactly. My filler gauge says that I put in 18.0 psi, and when I reinstalled my Fobo2, low and behold, it says 18.0 also. I bought the filler hose through Amazon.ca. Makes things a lot simpler. Otherwise, whatever gauge you use....after filling your tires and reinstalling Fobo2 check what your Fobo2 says. It can be out a few pounds but who cares, as long as you know what it should read, adjust your thinking to that pressure and you'll always know if your tires are at the correct reading. AND REMEMBER..... THE LEFT TIRE SHOULD READ THE EXACT SAME AS THE RIGHT TIRE (can be off by as much as .5 psi, but I like to set them the same. As 2dogs points out, they will change on their own anyway. Mine do!

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

A wise man once said : The man who has one clock always knows what time it is.

I would think the same applies to your tire pressure . Pick one toss the others and don't worry .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't agree with that. You can't tell a tire's psi simply by looking at the tire. And the man you mentioned above never really knows what the real time of day actually is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I don't agree with that. You can't tell a tire's psi simply by looking at the tire. And the man you mentioned above never really knows what the real time of day actually is.
    I believe LALoner is saying pick one gauge and toss the rest. (At least that’s how I read it, but I have been wrong before).

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I use an AstroAl filler that has a built in gauge, and it matches my Fobo2 exactly.
    Yeah, that's the inflator I brought. Mainly because it can also run on the included 20V battery which makes it even more portable. I don't have a 12v connection on my Spyder.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I believe LALoner is saying pick one gauge and toss the rest. (At least that’s how I read it, but I have been wrong before).
    Yea that's good. I agree with that. But it should be confirmed as right on. + or - 1 psi at least.

Spyder Garage

If you are monitoring your tire pressures (& therefore tire temperature) to make sure they're increasing by about the right amount to bring them up to within their operational range after about an hour's riding, and they're basically doing that (by getting about a 4psi increase in pressure), then the pressure shown on your tire pressure gauge being exactly accurate isn't as important as your gauge being consistent....

You NEED your tire pressure to increase after riding for 30+ minutes; if it doesn't, your tire pressures are too high and your tires aren't reaching their ideal operational temperature or providing you with the best wear, puncture resistance, ride, handling, and traction et al that they could! If your tire pressure is increasing by anything much more than about 6psi after 30+ minutes of riding, then your tire pressures are too low and your tires will be overheating and not providing you with the best wear, puncture resistance, ride, handling, and traction et al that they could! And it doesn't really take an exactly accurate tire pressure gauge to show you that your tires are increasing in pressure by 'about 4psi' after 30+ minutes of riding!

I might be guessing juuust a little in saying that as far as most Spyder/Ryker riders will be concerned, there's really no need to go chasing anything much more accurate than 'about a 4psi increase after 30+ minutes of riding' But if you truly DO need to worry about getting your tire pressures any more accurate than that, and you don't already have a gauge that will do that and you're not already getting tire pressure advice applicable to your specific needs from places other than social media Forums on the internet, then you're really in trouble!!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Difference between gauge and TPMS system could be explained by the different way they work.
    Gauge measures the pressure inside the tire as higher than the outside pressure. TMPS sensor sends absolute pressure to the unit, which subtracts a standard 14.7 psi outside pressure. So during a weather depression, TPMS gives a bit lower pressure than gauge, effect though marginal.

Then some TPMS for motorcycles compensate for temperature changes. The unit calculates the pressure back to an index temperature, mostly 65 deg F/18 deg C. The external sensors use the temperature given by the sensor, but this is at the end of the valve, and not the tire inside air. But for cold pressures, those are the same. So check if your TPMS has this temperature compensation.

And then there is always an inaccuracy in every device.
    Even a digital reading, sometimes given for instance as 34.65 psi, suggests an accuracy of 2 digits behind dot, but the accuracy of the sensor is what counts. So the 34.65 can easily be 32psi real pressure.
    Digital devices give often 2 to 3 psi higher, a choice of the maker of the device, so you don't fill your tires too high.
    But a wrong choice, too low a pressure is worse.

Tmps sensors send pressure in steps of 0.5 psi to the unit, and only in psi or bar, then unit converses it to the other pressurekind, wich can also give minimal differences.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-10-2023 at 03:25 AM. Reason: then (time past) - than (comparison - other than...) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default Balancing air pressure.

I have made up a simple balancing rig for my front tyres. A length of plastic tubing with a tyre valve chuck at each end with a "T" piece in the middle. The other end of the "T" has another length of tube fitted with a tyre valve in so when I add air both tyres go to the same pressure. there is a simple air valve fitted near one of the chucks so that the whole system doesn't vent when disconnecting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know how you feel.

I had my digital gauge, tyre inflator gauge and TPMS all saying different readings. I quickly determined the brand of TPMS i bought wasn't accurate.

My own personal preference is that both front tires must have the same pressure - it really annoys me when they are missmatched.

I made a balance tube with a gauge - it attaches to both front tires at once and inflates them both to the same pressure.

It has an expensive 60PSI pressure gauge fitted. I inflate the fronts with it and set the desired wet or dry pressure before I ride off on a trip. I check what my Digital gauge reads, and it usually says about 1.6 psi less. I work off the fact when I am away and don't have the balance tube, I check my tire pressures and allow for the 1.6psi - example set fronts to 18.4 psi.

I became too focused on the TPMS pressures - if one tire was in the sun, it would naturally read higher - parked in the colder climate destinations it was too low.

My tip -
    1. Pick one gauge - probably the digital - its portable
    2. Set your pressures according to it
    3. If the bike doesn't feel right add/vent some
    4. Focus on making sure the front tires are at the pressures both you and the gauge agree are the most suited to your riding style
    5. If you keep the TPMS only check it if things don't feel right

Bonus - the fittings on the balance tube make setting the rear easier too
    Down side - the wife and daughter now use it on their car tires and both has those strands missing from their DNA that allow a human to put things back where they came from.
    Last edited by askitee; 02-10-2023 at 05:03 AM.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Don't know if I should mention this to you or not. But, if you are running FOBOs you'll find it out anyway. Your tires will change psi on their own w/o any help from you. Depending on the time of year you are riding, how far you've ridden, which side of you the sun is on, the altitude you are riding in, the speed at which you are riding, and other ambient influences your psi can vary as much as 4/5 psi at different times. Don't worry about it, it's normal. Just keep your FOBO's alarm set for a large or sudden change in psi. That's what FOBOs are for. Ride safely have fun and good luck.
    +1...I use the FOBO's for monitoring a LARGE air loss only (the onboard TPMS saved my butt on my BMW RT several times over the past 10 years). Just adjust the FOBO settings for about 5psi difference high or low and use a digital gauge to check real pressures. Agree with BajaRon that the most important reading is to get the front tires the same pressure.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

JT's Spyder Store Dual Fill or a DIY version as others have stated above. Both front's match, I also use this on my cars to insure pressure matching, AND your pressure gauge of choice.
    https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=53
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I built a 3 pronged octopus to air my Spyders tires. I have decided I like 18 PSI all the way around on my Vredestein's. One word of caution when using something similar. Due to the small tubing size and the small differential in air pressure between the tires it does take longer than you would think for all to become equal.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange