Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the heads-up on steering issues!

On Saturday, I put around 300 miles on my Spyder and experienced a case of the steering problems some others have mentioned. Nothing serious, but I will be taking the Spyder in and have it looked at.

It happened three times, highway, straight road, 75-80 mph. The first time, I saw some road debris ahead and lightly turned to the left to avoid it. It was a smooth course correction - if 12 o'clock is straight ahead, my turn was an easy turn to 11 o'clock. When I went to correct back to the center of my lane, the steering felt 'stuck' - like I was tracking on a road hump or pavement groove, it didn't pull, but it was 'locked' on the track it was on. It didn't take much effort or muscle to 'un-stick' it, but it when it released, I was exerting enough pressure for it to over-correct and the Spyder jogged to the right. Since I had a full helmet on, earplugs, and was at 75-80mph - I did not hear anything. At no point did I ever leave the lane I was in. I didn't try and go further left, that would have taken me out of my lane - so I don't know if it was locked for turning further to the left.

When trying to turn to the right, it felt like when you separate magnets - they are firmly attached, then when the pull you are applying overcomes the magnet's force, your hands fly apart faster and further than you expect. The binding force is there - then instantly it is not there.

As I said, this happened 3 times - over the course of 20 miles of the ride - all the conditions were the same as I described above. I stopped at a rest area, considered pulling the DPS fuse, but didn't. After that, no further events. I kept my speed down for a little, but finished the ride at normal riding speeds. None of the events were scary, but I did feel I was contending for control when I wanted to go right. After it would "un-stick" steering was instantly very easy and 100% responsive (right & left) - but there would be an over correction based on the sudden 'release' and the force I was applying.

I was out on Sunday for about 100 miles and experienced no steering issues.

My experiences were not anywhere near as serious as what others have related, more like the irritation of a stretch of very bad road surface, unsettling - not scary. But, THANK YOU, to all that posted your experiences - the instant it happened, I knew what was happening, what I had to do to correct it, what to lookout for and some possible on-the-road fixes. Thank you all!

And yes, Firefly, I will be reporting this to BRP and NHTSA. I will be having my dealer look at it next week when I take the Spyder in for its 6,000 service. Sooner, if it starts acting up again.

For those interested: 2008 SE5, DPS update (1st Update) done 4/20/09 with 600 miles service, no performance problems or steering issues before or after - until 11/28. No second update. No electrical mods. All fuses felt snug. Tires at 19psi.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experiences! It helped me.
    Tom

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Hey, Tom. It sucks that you had the problem but you're right... get it fixed. It only gets worse from here. At the end... on mine... there were times I didn't think I'd be able to make a correction. It was that baaaaaad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    On Saturday, I put around 300 miles on my Spyder and experienced a case of the steering problems some others have mentioned. Nothing serious, but I will be taking the Spyder in and have it looked at.

It happened three times, highway, straight road, 75-80 mph. The first time, I saw some road debris ahead and lightly turned to the left to avoid it. It was a smooth course correction - if 12 o'clock is straight ahead, my turn was an easy turn to 11 o'clock. When I went to correct back to the center of my lane, the steering felt 'stuck' - like I was tracking on a road hump or pavement groove, it didn't pull, but it was 'locked' on the track it was on. It didn't take much effort or muscle to 'un-stick' it, but it when it released, I was exerting enough pressure for it to over-correct and the Spyder jogged to the right. Since I had a full helmet on, earplugs, and was at 75-80mph - I did not hear anything. At no point did I ever leave the lane I was in. I didn't try and go further left, that would have taken me out of my lane - so I don't know if it was locked for turning further to the left.

When trying to turn to the right, it felt like when you separate magnets - they are firmly attached, then when the pull you are applying overcomes the magnet's force, your hands fly apart faster and further than you expect. The binding force is there - then instantly it is not there.

As I said, this happened 3 times - over the course of 20 miles of the ride - all the conditions were the same as I described above. I stopped at a rest area, considered pulling the DPS fuse, but didn't. After that, no further events. I kept my speed down for a little, but finished the ride at normal riding speeds. None of the events were scary, but I did feel I was contending for control when I wanted to go right. After it would "un-stick" steering was instantly very easy and 100% responsive (right & left) - but there would be an over correction based on the sudden 'release' and the force I was applying.

My experiences were not anywhere near as serious as what others have related, more like the irritation of a stretch of very bad road surface, unsettling - not scary. But, THANK YOU, to all that posted your experiences - the instant it happened, I knew what was happening, what I had to do to correct it, what to lookout for and some possible on-the-road fixes. Thank you all!

And yes, Firefly, I will be reporting this to BRP and NHTSA. I will be having my dealer look at it next week when I take the Spyder in for its 6,000 service. Sooner, if it starts acting up again.

For those interested: 2008 SE5, DPS update (1st Update) done 4/20/09 with 600 miles service, no performance problems or steering issues before or after - until 11/28. No second update. No electrical mods. All fuses felt snug. Tires at 19psi.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No second update.
    I had the same type of issue. I had the second update and no more issues. At least not yet anyway. I hope by posting this I didn't jinx it!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the Description Tom!! I put on another 100 miles on some of CT,s nicest back roads even though it was only 52 degrees Sunday!
    Darn Spyder is giving me More withdrawal pains than my 2 BRP Jetskis it shares the garage with because its going to be a Long, Cold, Snowy winter here in the Northeast.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

PE-1294
    Spyder Garage

Great job Tom, so glad to hear u were able to identify what was happening and do what was needed to correct it safely. Do take it in and have it fixed. Hopefully you will have it back soon all fixed and ready to ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Hey, Tom. It sucks that you had the problem but you're right... get it fixed. It only gets worse from here. At the end... on mine... there were times I didn't think I'd be able to make a correction. It was that baaaaaad.
    Gets worse real quick. Mine started slow and was just as you described. Even had a few days of no issues which was enough to give a false sense of security. Then it hit real hard in the middle of a rain storm. It was locking everytime I turned the bars. I had to limp it all the way home on side streets.

Glad to hear the threads helped and that you made it through just fine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it was not as serious as some have posted about, and that you are going to take it in for repair.

Best of luck with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Thanks for the Description Tom!! I put on another 100 miles on some of CT,s nicest back roads even though it was only 52 degrees Sunday!
    Darn Spyder is giving me More withdrawal pains than my 2 BRP Jetskis it shares the garage with because its going to be a Long, Cold, Snowy winter here in the Northeast.
    After 51 years of CT weather, I finally had enough and moved. I visited a friend here at the beach and 4 months later moved here in 2001 and have no intentions of returning to CT. If my brother's want to see me, I tell them the planes fly both ways. But, getting them out of CT, is like pulling teeth, if they had any of there own.

My friends and I loved riding the back roads, Talcott Notch or Old Mountain Rd to Rt 10, 10 to Granby, to 20, to Barkhamsted, 44 to Winsted, to Rt 8 to New Boston in the Berkshires or the old Rt 9 to the beach. Cruising through Clinton to Old Saybrook, getting on 95 to cross the bridge and head for Old Lyme and sometimes to New London.

This was back in the mid 70s and not long after I sold my BSA in 1977 and haven't ridden until just looking at a The next thing I knew, I was signing the papers. I just can't go look, I end up buying. After 32 years, riding just never got out of my blood. No regrets though with the steering problem I had and after years of being responsible, I'm back to being a kid again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering

Tom
    Keep us posted--I am interested in what they do to fix the problem.

Michael

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Glad it wasn't bad for ya! I'm wondering if the 1st update has caused a communication glitch somewhere in the

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Glad it wasn't bad for ya! I'm wondering if the 1st update has caused a communication glitch somewhere in the
    It was my understanding that the recall (1st update) contained instructions to remove the deadband at the steering center, so there would not be a lag in the power steering initiation. My gut feeling is that this exposed a mechanical, electronic, sensor, or software weakness that went undetected up until then. My experience with PID controls says that they aren't usually too fond of zero deadband. I suspect this may be similar. My opinion and a dollar will buy you a burger at Mickey Dee's...and nothing more, BTW.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Yep! See but youi said it with detail cuz you are a gearhead! I kind of meant to say that.

Just seems like many people are having issues after the 1st update and it seems more like 08's than 09's.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It was my understanding that the recall (1st update) contained instructions to remove the deadband at the steering center, so there would not be a lag in the power steering initiation. My gut feeling is that this exposed a mechanical, electronic, sensor, or software weakness that went undetected up until then. My experience with PID controls says that they aren't usually too fond of zero deadband. I suspect this may be similar. My opinion and a dollar will buy you a burger at Mickey Dee's...and nothing more, BTW.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am glad it was not major Tom. Keep us posted!

3WD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    BRP can fix that...think Ski Doo!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default D'oh

Well I posted a question about this over in the "shoptalk" forum. Shoulda read further first I guess.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering Issues

Your experience sounds familiar
    Glad it was only a minor issue so far

btw, my is running better than ever - or at least since the first update- I think it's actually better...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default so far . . . . . .

. . . . I am impressed.

I posted the start of this thread on Monday. On Tuesday Carlo from BRP contacted me - before I contacted them. I provided the necessary information and an incident File was set up for the Service Department to consult and interface with BRP on. Carlo was helpful and very understanding.

I set up a drop off time with the Service Department. ( a different one that I have been dealing with ) So far, they seem knowledgeable and were exceptionally nice to deal with. I dropped off the Spyder late yesterday (Wednesday) and they felt I would probably have it back to me, maybe, by Saturday.

Since the 3 minor steering incidents I mentioned in my posting, the Spyder has not exhibited any further problems in the last 300 miles. But, based on what ataDude and jsmiley experienced - and what Carlo recommended, I took the Spyder in a little earlier than I had planned.

As I said, I am impressed with everybody's "Pro-Active" concern and the serious attention they are giving this.

Thanks for all the support and I will keep you informed.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it is being taken care of for you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default my Spyder is back . . .

Well, I got my Spyder back yesterday. Everything seems fine.

The shop could not duplicate or trigger any steering issues after doing the update to the update and inspecting the steering gearbox or testing the DPS. I took the Spyder out for a good run, about 50 miles - starting on regular streets to check out any changes and ending up on the expressway. It ran as good as it did when I took it in ( which was very good ) and there were no steering glitches.

By the way, this "new" dealership I went to, was great to deal with. A pleasant change from my past experiences.

It would have been nice if there was a definitive test that would show that a specific hardware/software/configuration/condition would cause the steering issue - or not. But, little in the world ever is that "Yes" or "No" and I will continue to try and stay on guard - especially in the conditions where I experienced the problem in the past and where others have also run into the issue.

Thanks to all for their help and encouragement. I hope all you other riders with the same problem are back on the road soon, too.

Tom

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Glad you found a dealer that you like!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got it back Tom.

I just found out that our dealer will be closing their doors for good in one month and I am not happy about that situation at all. There are a lot of good folks there that will be out of work at the worst possible time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Glad you found a dealer that you like!
    if it wasn't fore are Dealer who has been very knowledgeable and supportive my would have been long gone.Good dealerships are gone to be the key of the survival especialy in these times and BRP should get on there cases on the ones that keep at bay for months at a time

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tom
    I was looking for the right way to express myself when the same thing happened to me. You nailed the problem description dead nuts. For a matter of fact I'm taking your description to the dealer next week. Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Report to NHTSA?

How does one go about reporting this issue to the NHTSA? My dealer has been great, but if BRP ain't comin' up with a fix, he can't fix it. Maybe prod BRP some?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txknight67 View Post
    How does one go about reporting this issue to the NHTSA? My dealer has been great, but if BRP ain't comin' up with a fix, he can't fix it. Maybe prod BRP some?
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888