Spyder Garage

Default having trouble getting rear brake pads in place

I did an advance search and have read at least 6 threads on brakes, but none offered a good description, video or pictures of how to get brake pads in place after the piston is compressed back into the caliper while holding the spring in place. Any advice out there from seasoned DIY folks?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Sure: drop in the outboard pad. Make certain the flat spring in front is situated. Put the retaining pin in far enough to hold it there, while inserting the other pad. Get the pin through the inboard pad, ensure the flat spring is in position, and screw it in. Replace the retaining clip, line up the caliper, and slip over the rotor. Locktite the bolts on the caliper, and put the parking brake bits back on. Call me if you get stuck: number below. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I did an advance search and have read at least 6 threads on brakes, but none offered a good description, video or pictures of how to get brake pads in place after the piston is compressed back into the caliper while holding the spring in place. Any advice out there from seasoned DIY folks?
    I've seen Video's of the procedure. .... they are very good .... look in advanced search I just did for my recent rear Brake job ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Sure: drop in the outboard pad. Make certain the flat spring in front is situated. Put the retaining pin in far enough to hold it there, while inserting the other pad. Get the pin through the inboard pad, ensure the flat spring is in position, and screw it in. Replace the retaining clip, line up the caliper, and slip over the rotor. Locktite the bolts on the caliper, and put the parking brake bits back on. Call me if you get stuck: number below. Joe
    OK, now I'm really confused. My rear brakes have a spring clip in the rear not the front that is very difficult to keep in place. Once partially in the outboard pad stops like it's jammed against the caliper somehow but it certainly will not just drop in place. I'll try to give you a call later this week; what's the best time of day? Except for still battling shingles (12 weeks now), my retirement schedule is pretty open.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've seen Video's of the procedure. .... they are very good .... look in advanced search I just did for my recent rear Brake job ..... Mike
    I went through a recent thread about Brake Wear History but didn't see anything about a video of changing pads. Gonna need some help on that one.

BTW--thanks to both of you for helping.

It's odd that I did not have this difficulty when getting a new tire a few years ago. The only problem then was getting the rear piston to retract. Guidance from cptjam over the phone cleared that up but getting the pads back in was no problem.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 08-21-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try these vids that came up in a search. Let us know which, if any, you find helpful

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...obile&ie=UTF-8
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

UtahPaete; home run on that first video. I was trying to get the pads seated too far in. I also noticed there was no rear spring to contend with, so I went that route as well.

My next problem is what happened to the parking brake cable on that first test ride a few days ago. I'll post a picture rather than try to explain; I'm betting someone here will know what happened considering I had the brake pads jammed in a little tight. It was in this condition when I returned from that ride & I have no idea what happened. I'll be tearing into that problem later today or in the morning.

TIA--y'all

BTW, using BLUEKNIGHT's measuring method with calipers on the pad base I have 1.8mm on the inboard and 2.8mm on the outboard pad. That was measured with them clean and out of the caliper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

UtahPaete; home run on that first video. I was trying to get the pads seated too far in. I also noticed there was no rear spring to contend with, so I went that route as well.

My next problem is what happened to the parking brake cable on that first test ride a few days ago. I'll post a picture rather than try to explain; I'm betting someone here will know what happened considering I had the brake pads jammed in a little tight. It was in this condition when I returned from that ride & I have no idea what happened. I'll be tearing into that problem later today or in the morning.

TIA--y'all

BTW, using BLUEKNIGHT's measuring method with calipers on the pad base I have 1.8mm on the inboard and 2.8mm on the outboard pad. That was measured with them clean and out of the caliper.
    Glad my method worked for you .... as to the difference in wear - make sure the pin is clean , smooth and lubed..... this amount of wear is not how the system is supposed to work - ideally they wear almost Equally ..... The PIC , because the plastic at the end is SPLIT ... I think the amount of PULL is now reduced ...I had this happen on one the control wires on a Snow Thrower, and this stopped FULL engagement ........ good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad it’s fixed! You can call anytime; 9-6 I’m up. No worries!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I'm still a bit concerned about how the cable has pulled loose between the thick part and the skinny part. Even lost a portion of the skinny white part that I had to cut away because it was all balled up where it tore away from the metal part.

Spyder Garage

After looking at your picture, it appears that the caliper bracket is not in its proper position. The slotted hole in the bracket hanging down should be positioned over the pin on the inside of the swing arm. That’s what keeps the bracket and caliper from just rotating around the axle. It looks like the only thing stopping the caliper from rotating around the axle when applying the brakes is the brake cable. When in place, the caliper should be below and slightly forward of the axle.

I think you’ll need to replace the parking brake cable. Not likely to ever function properly in this condition.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

I was wondering about that, but it was not mentioned by anyone earlier. My lack of pictures didn't help any. Will take a closer look now that you mentioned it. thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mean this one? https://youtu.be/VbfFLIQ_PsU

I'll be doing this myself soon.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

This one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVA8Uz2zzK4

I guess that was actually the second one.

JSRT pointed out I have another part out of position that may likely have ruined my cable.

Gonna have to dig a little deeper and do a little more work.

Spyder Garage

Quick update; I got the caliper bracket properly aligned and now need to find a video of how to replace the cable. I have one ordered from the dealer in Amarillo. They are hoping to have word on availability by Friday. I'll be removing body panels over the next couple of days so there is time to find videos, but I have yet to run across any showing how to do it.

Spyder Garage

alright! Got body panels out of the way only to discover the parking brake pulley was broken. Anyone have a spare laying around before I have to shell out a bunch of $$$$$$ to get this and a new cable?

I'm prolly gonna need some shop manual instructions on how to properly align said pulley.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

alright! Got body panels out of the way only to discover the parking brake pulley was broken. Anyone have a spare laying around before I have to shell out a bunch of $$$$$$ to get this and a new cable?

I'm prolly gonna need some shop manual instructions on how to properly align said pulley.
    " OMG "... I'll bet yours is the first one to break like that ....Mike

Spyder Garage

All right: all the new parts have arrived--brake pads from BajaRon, new cable and pulley from Lone Star Power Sports in Amarillo. I'll be attempting to install all of this and the orientation of the pulley over the next couple of days. Any advice or videos would be welcome and appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may need BUDS to set the pulley position once installed.

If you don't have one, I would get the digital manual for reference.