Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoolSpyder2014 View Post
    Rob, by any chance do you have any side picture of the primary muffler and the bypass?
    I would like to see how high the inlet pipes are..
    If so, can you post them here or send to my email LRobertson327@gmail.com.
    Thanks
    Robbie
    Sorry, I do not. The only pictures I have are those in the first post of this thread. Just going by memory, I'd say that the primary muffler is about 8-10" from the base of it to the top of the higher inlet. There's more clearance under the bypass pipe.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-15-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default cat bypass confusion

well,
    I finally got around to taking my spyder apart to put the PitBull Cat bypass on , and after I removed the cat, I found interesting info on the bottom of it. It is not a catalytic convertor, it is for the reduction of sound emissions. Nothing in it saves the environment from anything coming out of the engine except a few decibels of sounds. So the environment is no more endangered by its removal. in fact hauling around a few less pounds might save fuel, not much but overtime it adds up, get everyone to replace it, and we could be making a big difference.
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well,
    I finally got around to taking my spyder apart to put the PitBull Cat bypass on , and after I removed the cat, I found interesting info on the bottom of it. It is not a catalytic convertor, it is for the reduction of sound emissions. Nothing in it saves the environment from anything coming out of the engine except a few decibels of sounds. So the environment is no more endangered by its removal. in fact hauling around a few less pounds might save fuel, not much but overtime it adds up, get everyone to replace it, and we could be making a big difference.
    Did you happen to take any picks of the inside once you cut it open?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

well,
    That is not what this page from the manual says.

2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

well,
    It does have some baffling in it. BRP manuals refer to it as both the "primary muffler" AND as the "catalytic converter". I'm curious about your post. Could you please explain more fully the "Interesting info" you found that lead you to beleave that it does NOT also perform the function of a catalytic converter?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default What's it made of?

Just wondering if anyone knows what the "catalytic converter " is made of on the Spyders ? In the cutaway photo is there any type of honeycomb grid made of catalyst material to break up the chemicals ? What's the structure of the box made of ... platinum , palidium etc .? Just wondering if there is new technology being used to break down the gases instead of the typical systems ?

Spyder Garage

this is the info I reference too. No I did not cut mine open, I will reinstall it before I trade the bike in on a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

CoolSpyder, thanks for the reply. I can see why you came to the conclusion that you did. The jury is still out, however, on whether or not that unit ALSO performs the same function as a catalytic converter. It sure would be interesting if someone DID cut one apart to find out. I, for one, would be curious to know for sure. (However not so curious as to actually cut mine apart. I don't ever intend to re-install mine, but I will give it away with the bike if I ever sell it or trade it in.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I have been lurking on this forum for over a month now, since I bought my 2016 RT Limited. Went in to Ride Now Peoria to buy a Slingshot and drove out on a Spyder! I couldn't be happier . As a 30 year Harley rider the only thing I really missed was the exhaust music! After reading all the advice on this forum I knew I had to rectify that longing! So on went the cat bypass and a TwoBrothers exhaust muffler! She now sings! As far as dealer help with the install, no problem at Ride Now Peoria! So hear a short clip of what she sounds like! Cheers Jim.
    2016 RTL , Pedal extender White

Spyder Garage

Nice sound. Have to say... It DOES sound more like a Harley now. You've got that RTL very nicely farkled.

Couldn't help but also notice this. Do you own that Interplane Skyboy experimental pusher? THAT is downright beautiful.

Oh, and...
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-24-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Nice sound. Have to say... It DOES sound more like a Harley now.
    You are on crack![emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Couldn't help but also notice this. Do you own that Interplane Skyboy experimental pusher? THAT is downright beautiful.

Oh, and...
    Yes, it's a 2003 that I am in the process of getting airworthy! Cheers Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2022 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRTFLYR View Post
    I have been lurking on this forum for over a month now, since I bought my 2016 RT Limited. Went in to Ride Now Peoria to buy a Slingshot and drove out on a Spyder! I couldn't be happier . As a 30 year Harley rider the only thing I really missed was the exhaust music! After reading all the advice on this forum I knew I had to rectify that longing! So on went the cat bypass and a TwoBrothers exhaust muffler! She now sings! As far as dealer help with the install, no problem at Ride Now Peoria! So hear a short clip of what she sounds like! Cheers Jim.
    What are you thoughts on the Slingshot versus the Spyder??

Spyder Garage

I have to admit that I have not actually driven the Slingshot! But when my wife and I went to purchase one they had a white Limited that we both sat in and went over very carefully! We both felt that we were in a 3 wheel car that was cheaply made. From the very beginning I was not impressed with the fit and finish of the Slingshot. At this point I was thinking maybe I just need to convert my Harley to a 3 wheeler, then I decided to just walk across the showroom and sit on a RT Limited they had! I immediately felt like I was on a motorcycle and quality of the RT was night and day better! So I went home with the RT Limited and so far so good! Cheers Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRTFLYR View Post
    I have to admit that I have not actually driven the Slingshot! But when my wife and I went to purchase one they had a white Limited that we both sat in and went over very carefully! We both felt that we were in a 3 wheel car that was cheaply made. From the very beginning I was not impressed with the fit and finish of the Slingshot. At this point I was thinking maybe I just need to convert my Harley to a 3 wheeler, then I decided to just walk across the showroom and sit on a RT Limited they had! I immediately felt like I was on a motorcycle and quality of the RT was night and day better! So I went home with the RT Limited and so far so good! Cheers Jim
    Thanks for the Slingshot info..

I went from a TRIGLIDE to A Spyder and have no regrets.
    Much smoother and less Maint than the Harley.
    A lot less Heat than the Harley..

Spyder Garage

CoolSpyder, thanks for the reply. I can see why you came to the conclusion that you did. The jury is still out, however, on whether or not that unit ALSO performs the same function as a catalytic converter. It sure would be interesting if someone DID cut one apart to find out. I, for one, would be curious to know for sure. (However not so curious as to actually cut mine apart. I don't ever intend to re-install mine, but I will give it away with the bike if I ever sell it or trade it in.)
    Here is a photo of the inside of the primary muffler. It definitely has a catalyst inside. So the previous post I made from the service manual is correct. It is a catalytic converter. My Spyder is running very well with the bypass pipe and baffle.

2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So much for trying to remove the cat from the unit and reinstalling on the bike. I seen the Harley's cut out the insides of the cat and reweld it back up they have a decat pipe now.
    Doesn't look like the Can AM Cat would be possible without a lot of work..

Spyder Garage

It depends on the dealer, and to some extent, on your state laws concerning requirements for emission control components on motorcycles. Luckily for me, PA does not require a catalytic converter on a motorcycle. Obviously, Pitbull in Missouri installs them. More and more dealers are beginning to install them. I think it may have something to do with their feeling the threat of sharing in the liability that BRP is currently experiencing due to the excess heat with the pre-2014 RT's and ST's. My dealer has been working with me for some time to resolve the heat problem (although mostly at my expense).

If your dealer will NOT install a Cat Bypass, and you cannot do it yourself, it's not that hard to find someone else who can. It's a relatively simple job for anyone who has worked with exhaust systems before. All you need to do is be able to lift the Spyder to work under it. Pitbull (or any dealer) sells the new gaskets you need for a couple of dollars.
    Pitbull??
    2018 F3L Cat Delete, Two Bros Pipe, Doc Humphreys Belt Tensioner and Pedal Extender, 17" Freedom Windshield, Spyder Extras Sway Bar & End Links
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red