Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

How's this for going green?

Fossil fuels are the largest sources of energy for electricity generation. (Catch-22: Use more electricity.....use more fossil fuels)

Natural gas was the largest source—about 38%—of U.S. electricity generation in 2021. Natural gas is used in steam turbines and gas turbines to generate electricity.

Coal was the second-largest energy source for U.S. electricity generation in 2021—about 22%. Nearly all coal-fired power plants use steam turbines. A few coal-fired power plants convert coal to a gas for use in a gas turbine to generate electricity.

And in case you want to know where these facts came from...... http://https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us.php

Wind turbines and solar panel farms just don't cut it! It appears Nuclear is the only way to truly go green at this point in time.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Wind turbines and solar panel farms just don't cut it! It appears Nuclear is the only way to truly go green at this point in time.
    That's been true for over 50 years. If you're conspiracy-minded, there's lots of food for thought.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents.
    I'm getting ready to purchase a new Hyundai Ionic 5.
    I drive 159 miles one way to work, will plug it in, at the end of the week drive home, plug it in again. It has a 306 mile range.
    This will work for me.
    Here's where it gets fun

Everyone keeps talking about how much electricity they use. The average house uses 80kwh a day. My charging for a month will be 40kwh. Not much electricity. However I am using over $400.00 in gas a month.
    By the way, I own and ride a 2013 Spyder RTL!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I am not saying the general populace has caused any issue, and I feel that gas and electricity have their place. One shouldn't completely replace the other. Case in point, I drive a ton of miles for work and an EV wouldn't work for my type of driving so I use a gas powered car. Plus, EV cars are $$$. I have an EV lawn mower and recycle when I can.
    I'm not against ev's per se, it's the hijacking of an ideology to further hidden agendas by unelected tyrants that gets my bristles up.
    I've lost all trust in most ''information'' from most departments, bureaus etc. Too much weird S$%# happening to be legit.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I'm not against ev's per se, it's the hijacking of an ideology to further hidden agendas by unelected tyrants that gets my bristles up.
    I've lost all trust in most ''information'' from most departments, bureaus etc. Too much weird S$%# happening to be legit.
    Are we talking about Can-Am developing electric motorcycles that we're not going to buy?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I have a home that runs on solar, and I pay very little for electricity.

~~~I have to ask. You’re able to sell the excess electricity you generate from solar back to the electric utility aren’t you? Or to put it another way,(asking a question) does your electric utility company buy back electricity you’re able to generate from your solar panels?

Apologies in advance to anyone offended by my questions

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not about to get rid of my 2021 RT, but I also own a Honda PCX 150 scooter for just zipping around town and running errands. Its a hoot to ride. I would certainly consider replacing that gasoline powered scooter with an electric bike or motorcycle at some point. The Harley Livewire is very intrigueing but at over $30,000 I don't see it as a viable alternative to my $4,000 scooter (when new in 2019) which gets an average of about 100 mpg. A more reasonably priced electric motorcycle would be very attractive for me.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~I have to ask. You’re able to sell the excess electricity you generate from solar back to the electric utility aren’t you? Or to put it another way,(asking a question) does your electric utility company buy back electricity you’re able to generate from your solar panels?

Apologies in advance to anyone offended by my questions

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    I think this a topic best explored on its own thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Can't help but wonder what kind of range the street edition will have and how long a wait while charging. It seems to me that going green is going to make you add time to your scheduled trips (days not hours). Not really a touring feature. I'll stay with my fossil fuel Thank you.
    I am sure whatever the range is.... there will never be one in my garage. I have ridden the ZERO and tested the Harley they are very cool but don't plan on going far
    you could never use one to ride on a poker run or any rie of more than about 85 miles to be safe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From one crackpot to another, you have a very good grasp on reality.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The electric Spyders have a trailer option with a spare battery pack and Honda generator.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The electric Spyders have a trailer option with a spare battery pack and Honda generator.
    And if you don't care for the trailer option then the extension cord option is always available at any of your favorite hardware stores.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Are we talking about Can-Am developing electric motorcycles that we're not going to buy?
    Indeed, nothing is in isolation and the plans go way back.You can normalise anything if it's repeated often enough.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    From one crackpot to another, you have a very good grasp on reality.
    Once was the time we were a dying breed now not so much, hang in there brother........................

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    A commuter two wheel motorcycle may very well have a useful place in their product range, as would an electric bike kept adjacent to nearby mountains and hills. It's also a place to start so we can eventually have the infrastructure to make electrical practical for riding several hundred miles in a day, and having the range and access to charging that currently exists for gasoline. This isn't for us, at least not yet, and at least for a while.

I have a home that runs on solar, and I pay very little for electricity. We can certainly make more of our energy clean, and they are working on batteries that will be better for the environment. None of this is going to be ideal in the early adoption range, or suitable for every owner, but I think it's a smart place to re-enter a market that where the buyers are aging out and where something newer like this could appeal to a younger audience.
    But that is just it. Your home runs on solar because it can be permanently attached to your own grid. By nature, a vehicle will be off the grid and have to carry its power with it. Battery operated vehicles work great in warm weather and in short trips, But they are not ideal for much of America who use their cars for longer commutes or in cold weather. For tour bikes, batteries are a poor choice just like an ICE would be a poor choice for an iPhone. Sometimes it feels like the left wants a one solution for everything instead of thinking things through.

Spyder Garage

Well said. I totally agree.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Battery operated vehicles work great in warm weather and in short trips, But they are not ideal for much of America who use their cars for longer commutes or in cold weather.
    It is estimated that electric vehicles, with their current range, will cover 93% of the miles currently driven by passenger vehicles (and yes commuter motorcycles/scooters) in the USA today.

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Sometimes it feels like the left wants a one solution for everything instead of thinking things through.
    Political much???
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do not much value in what USA Today prints, but that's just me.

Spyder Garage

It’s like a watermelon. You cut through the green and all you find is red. No thanks on any EV powered vehicle for me.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Shoei Neotec 3
    Cardo Packtalk Edge Duo
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Just curious.. so, if it comes to pass that there will no longer be fossil fuel driven vehicles and machines, what happens to all of them? Will the government buy them from us to be recycled for whatever they can use from them or will they just rust/deteriorate in backyards and junk yards? If one cannot afford to purchase an expensive EV, what are they to do for transportation.. especially if there is no public transport system in their area? Maybe I should think about hurrying up and sell my Spyder now rather than risk getting stuck with it soon…
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Just curious.. so, if it comes to pass that there will no longer be fossil fuel driven vehicles and machines, what happens to all of them? Will the government buy them from us to be recycled for whatever they can use from them or will they just rust/deteriorate in backyards and junk yards? If one cannot afford to purchase an expensive EV, what are they to do for transportation.. especially if there is no public transport system in their area? Maybe I should think about hurrying up and sell my Spyder now rather than risk getting stuck with it soon…
    Well, at my age, I don’t honestly think that I’ll see that day. All the gov’t is doing is getting the masses prepared....far in advance. Lets face it......40 years is not a very long period of time. There will still be gas.....but at what price?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Que the song “Red Barchetta” by Rush ...

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    We have seen many technologies become obsolete over the past 200 years without government buybacks and bailouts. What makes you think this case is any different?

Only corporate farmers and Wall Street bankers get bailed out in our economic system.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Well, at my age, I don’t honestly think that I’ll see that day. All the gov’t is doing is getting the masses prepared....far in advance. Lets face it......40 years is not a very long period of time. There will still be gas.....but at what price?
    The future is telling us that you will own nothing.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Shoei Neotec 3
    Cardo Packtalk Edge Duo
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    The future is telling us that you will own nothing.
    The way things are going, there won't be much left for us to own. Besides, we're all here on borrowed time; ownership is over-rated I think.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-16-2022 at 11:07 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum