Spyder Garage

Default New F 3 Rider's View

Well after having my bike for almost a month we're starting to get to know each other. I've been making it a point to switch back and forth between two and three wheels and it is getting easier each time. I like the simple comfort of just cruising alon the country roads where the Spyder alows me to enjoy the view without the intensity of the two wheeler. Then again it may be more about how I approach the two types of vehicles but that doesn't really matter.

I've made some additions Value Accessories floorboards was first along with a Windshield from Motorcycle Dave's The floorboards allow my wife and I to switch back and forth without and seating adjustments (pretty much hope on and go) so we tend to use the Spyder for short shop and grab things. The windshield just makes the longer rides that much nicer. A set of wide view mirrors have just arrived so they shall be next to install.

The one thing I had never expected and maybe should have is when we're out and about on these machines we're the oddballs and it's almost fun people come over just to ask questions. The two wheel crowd seem a wee bit surprised that the ride is totally different but when the realize that I have been on both two and three they tend to be quite interested in the differences. I have a lot of friends that are serious sidecar racers and I'll admit that they were quick to acknowledge and understand the differences.

Again thanks to the whole forum for the input both directly to me and from the past as it did help my wife and I make a good choice that we're more than happy with.

Cheers

Spyder Garage

My first Spyder was a 2018 F3 Limited. The best thing I ever did for it was to install the belt tensioner, which immediately improved the ride experience by removing unpleasant vibrations. In my opinion, this is the best economy choice (less than $200) to drastically improve the ride quality. I did end up installing the OEM passenger arm rests which made my wife very happy for the long rides when touring through the mountains and curvy roads. In so far as public interest in the Spyder, yes people are unusually fascinated by them, and I've had several stop-light conversations as a result. My first touring motorcycle was an HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Several people thought I lost my mind when I traded it in for a Spyder. Here's the interesting thing; I immediately joined Colorado Spyder Ryders for group riding and the majority of the riders were in fact former HD touring bike riders who opted over to the Spyder configuration, even though HD offers a trike. For those of us who have grown out of the "our bike is an identity statement" phase of riding and we are seeking something truly pleasurable and safer to operate...and we don't care what anyone thinks of our choice...we have actually found far more interest and interaction from others as a result. Spyders are AWESOME!

Spyder Garage

Us too. I rode 2-wheels for over 50 years. Last year I realized 3 things were affecting my rides: hips, knees, and wife. She pretty much stopped riding with me and I understand why. So the decision was made to go with 3 (or more wheels). Since I loved my Yamaha I explored "training wheels" but I wasn't in love with the idea of how you back them up. Trikes are OK but expensive. Several friends ryde and recommend Spyders. Over the years, whenever we stopped at a place where there were some parked Spyders I asked the owners for their opinions. I NEVER had a rider complain about a Can Am. So, I started checking FB Marketplace and found the perfect Spyder 2 miles away, with less than 10k miles, owned by someone who has a good reputation. I sold our 2-wheel Vstar and never looked back. Our 2016 F3-S6E looks good, runs great, and the wife is happy (which means I'm happy too). This move will add years to our riding experience.
    Within 2 months I added a bunch of extras. Ultimate Floorboards were a bit pricy but I love them. Higher windshield makes cruising enjoyable. It took a surprisingly short time to adapt to 3 wheels (I also took the BRP course). My one friend with a Goldwing trike likes mine better. I like the 2 wheels up front because I'm a visual guy and I can keep the Spyder centered better. I wasn't sure about going "automatic" but now I love that too. No more "death grip", no more concerns about gravel, no more concerns about holding her 2-up at stop lights, no concern about stopping on a hill, no concerns about foot slipping and laying her down, etc. The only thing I don't like is that now I have to look for a full parking space instead of fitting in somewhere. Oh yeah, and it took me 2 weeks to figure out how to use the radio.
    We look forward to many more years of riding.
    2016 S6E , Red

Spyder Garage

Trikes may be OK but they always scared me a tad. Must be all the lost skin I got riding my Honda three wheeler. I think that for me part of the love at first ride on the Spyder is how close a feeling it has to a sled (snowmobile) and how you ride either one is a lot alike. Please don't LOL but one of the things I like most is that I can pull over to read a historic marker or take in a view and I don't need to make sure the kickstand is in a good place and the lean angle is not too sharp. Nope just pull over, stop and put the sucker in park. A small thing but it makes me want to take it just that much more.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2022 at 12:55 AM. Reason: thing %-)