Spyder Garage

Default Help! Trying to get a working intercom/audio to our Helmets?! SOLVED!!!!!

I am at the end of my rope. I have a 2014 RTL. Purchased May 2021 with 2700 miles. I have been working for the past year to get a workable intercom / bike audio piped into our Helmets.

I purchased a Sena SM10 dongle, and cheap Amazon headgear. It did not work at all. Kept dropping the intercom, and losing pairing. I am only trying to talk to my passenger seated behind me and hopefully hear some tunes on a long trip.

I gave up on the bluetooth and started to build my own interface using J&M goldwing headsets. It works, barely. I saw recently in the classifieds a set of cardo2+ for sale. I figured that a high end set of Bluetooth units have got to work much better than the cheap ones I bought last year, right? So they came in, I mounted them to our helmets, and gave them a try today.
    They are horrible, the intercom has a huge latency, only functions 50% of the time, & seems to be getting interference.

What am I doing wrong? I am sure it is me and not the equipment. I am going to do a factory reset on both and reload the latest firmware. Re-pair them to each other and try again. I will post how I fare a bit later tomorrow.

SOLVED!!!!! See post #18.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask question ;-) + dongel - dongle ;-)

Spyder Garage

IMHO where you went wrong was going with cheap Amazon headsets. I have been using the Sena dongle and Sena 10 headsets for the same thing you want for 7 years with great success. I now have the S20EVO for myself and still the S10 for my wife, works great. They are bluetoothed to the dongle and to each other. I can talk to my wife and listen to music from my phone or the Spyder system.

PS, I see you user name contains 'bsa' - are you a BSA fan?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 02:41 AM. Reason: dongel - dongle ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems to me that what you're doing wrong is trying to piece together something on the cheap. Why not buy a set of proven bt communicators and be done with it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 02:43 AM. Reason: '...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It seems to me that what you're doing wrong is trying to piece together something on the cheap. Why not buy a set of proven bt communicators and be done with it?
    That is what I was doing with the Cardo units. I figured the 2+ units if I can get them to work would be a " high end option"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display/reply with quote ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    IMHO where you went wrong was going with cheap Amazon headsets. I have been using the Sena dongle and Sena 10 headsets for the same thing you want for 7 years with great success. I now have the S20EVO for myself and still the S10 for my wife, works great. They are bluetoothed to the dongle and to each other. I can talk to my wife and listen to music from my phone or the Spyder system.

PS, I see you user name contains 'bsa' - are you a BSA fan?
    That is why I bought the Cardo units, I figured they would be the proof that it was thecheap units all along. Bsa is actually first initial and first 2 letters of last name. Though I did have a 441 Victor, and a Norton 750. My British rides all have 4 wheels now. A 58 triumph tr3a, and a 68 mgb (hers). Both driven very often. In fact I often commute with the TR.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display/reply with quote ;-)

Spyder Garage

Do you have the instruction manual with both the Cardos and the Sena SM10? What do they tell you on pairing? Also, sometimes units from one manufacturer don't always play well with others. I would keep working with them, like I said, I have used a similar system for years.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Caps ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bsavulis View Post
    That is what I was doing with the Cardo units. I figured the 2+ units if I can get them to work would be a " high end option"
    Didn't you say you bought them used from a classified ad?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why are you trying to pair with the bike's audio anyway? Just pair the two headsets and your phone. Much simpler.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Why are you trying to pair with the bike's audio anyway? Just pair the two headsets and your phone. Much simpler.
    That's what we do with our Cardo Freecom 4+.

It takes all of about 10 secs; no fuss, no muss.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    do you have the instruction manual with both the Cardos and the sena SM10. What do they tell you on pairing? Also sometimes units from one manufacturer don't always play well with others. I would keep working with them, like I said I have used a similar system for years.
    multiple brands is where I find most troubles not like talking to each other. Additionally the sequence of the primary device to subsequent secondary device & so on. Not necessarily impossible just more pain than reasonably acceptable. (Proprietary plays big headache). Good luck with it all the same, might have to get devices to reset & forget previous pairings to start all over.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Cardo & Sena allow two phones.
    SM 10 allows two phones.
    #1 Sena/Cardo 1st phone to smartphone 2nd phone to SM phone 1 (see page 13)
    #2 Sena/Cardo 1st phone to smartphone (not same as on #1) 2nd phone to SM phone 2 (see page 14)
    Last setup intercom between #1 & #2 (easier if using Sena or Cardo phone apps).

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree to leave BRP out of it. Our low-end Sena SMH5 sets still work great to speak to each other and answer the phone.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

You have a 2014 RTL as I do, we cannot connect the bike's audio to anything unless you install a bluetooth dongle as Pegasus1300 did. I did not go that route and (as others have said) connected my Cardo's to each other and our phones. If you need a manual you can find it on Cardo's web page where you should register the set you have to get updates, etc.

Spyder Garage

I am at the end of my rope. I have a 2014 RTL. Purchased May 2021 with 2700 miles. I have been working for the past year to get a workable intercom / bike audio piped into our Helmets.

I purchased a Sena SM10 dongle, and cheap Amazon headgear. It did not work at all. Kept dropping the intercom, and losing pairing. I am only trying to talk to my passenger seated behind me and hopefully hear some tunes on a long trip.

I gave up on the bluetooth and started to build my own interface using J&M goldwing headsets. It works, barely. I saw recently in the classifieds a set of cardo2+ for sale. I figured that a high end set of Bluetooth units have got to work much better than the cheap ones I bought last year, right? So they came in, I mounted them to our helmets, and gave them a try today.
    They are horrible, the intercom has a huge latency, only functions 50% of the time, & seems to be getting interference.

What am I doing wrong? I am sure it is me and not the equipment. I am going to do a factory reset on both and reload the latest firmware. Re-pair them to each other and try again. I will post how I fare a bit later tomorrow.
    Just echoing what others have said.
    You need to get better Bluetooth units.
    I had a pair of Sena SMH10s and the latency in the intercom, and the music dropouts became infuriating.
    I upgraded to Sena 20s and have been very happy.
    The SMH 10 have been reassigned to ski helmets where the latency isn't an issue.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see many good answers here, In my opinion.... and you know about opinions, it seems best to always try to stick with the same brand headsets, sometimes trying to mix and match is just not a good idea. Whether you use SENA or Cardo. I would AVOID the low buck units you see on Ebay and Amazon. Stay with the good stuff and you will be happy. Always remember what my daddy told me ....
    NOBODY but NOBODY has ever been sorry they bought the best.

50S & 50R .png CARDO Pack Talk Bold.png

Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Chiming in just to agree with others above. We bought the dual set of Sena 10S from Motorcycle Dave last year. They were already paired together from the factory so all we had to do to talk to other bikes was pair with their units. Have only paired with another Sena 5S so far and seems to work great up to about half a mile with clear line of sight. Have not yet installed in wife's helmet yet but have tested indoors and they work great in close proximity except for a bit of echo. I think the others saying leave the bike's system out of it is good advice; just stick with quality matched units to talk to each other.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

My riding buddy and I have the Sena 50S and when parked next to each other, or at gas stations, you can hear each other breathing (or grunting as the case may be while mounting) with exceptionally clear bluetooth. We've had them about a year now and they've never lost pairing (they did come paired).

Hopefully you can get the Cardo's working.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Update, issues solved

SOLVED!!!!

I started this thread a while ago Looking for advice with getting a working intercom setup on my 2014RTL. Many members posted advice which I am very grateful. I received lots of good information. I have the Cardo2+ units communicating perfectly to each other. I found a uTube video showing the process step by step. I also have these paired to the SM10 dongle, which works excellently.

I took this a step further. I tapped into the rear speaker outputs, attaching the radio output to the common terminals of a 4pdt switch, the speakers were routed to one set of terminals and a wire with mini stereo plug to the other set. So with the switch flipped one way the rear speakers work as designed; flip it the other way, and the rear speaker output is sent to the mini stereo plug that is plugged into the SM10.

I set the radio fader control to full back so no audio is heard from the front external speakers. Now, all that would have been heard over the speakers I hear in my helmets instead. All the handle bar and passenger grip controls function as they should but control the music etc. in the helmets.

This is working very, very well. If anyone is interested in an exact how to, let me know.

Thanks ALL!!!!! Thanks for the help everyone!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Finished the thread with Solved solution. %-)