Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT showing codes C0044 and C006C - Any Ideas?

Hello

I have a 2011 RT (29000 miles). It is showing the following codes C0044 and C006C. My bike has been in the shop for some time now and the tech can not find the problem? Has any one with a 2011 RT run into this issue? If so what was the fix?

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Sorry not same issues FYI According to SpyderCodes code are C0044:brake sensors & C006C: VSS communication errors so just guessing brake sensors/switch bad/or short messing up VSS can buss info.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Before this thread goes down the wrong road, C0044 is NOT about the infamous Low Pressure Switch that is operated by the brake pedal. This is about the brake pressure sensor that is internal to the VCM. The VCM is that unit that looks like an ABS unit but does a whole lot more.

Chief, when the brake pedal is depressed and your Brake Light Switch turns on the brake lights, the ECM is told you’re pressing the brake pedal and expects to see brake pressure within a few seconds. That pressure signal comes from that sensor in the VCM. If the ECM is seeing pressure without the Brake Light Switch activated, or the other way around, the fault is set. Since you also have C006C, VSS Communications Fault, this is probably indicative of that sensor failing.

My hope for you is that this whole thing is caused by an old, low, tired battery that you’ve all overlooked. VSS comm errors happen all the time with a bad battery. Check that. I personally received those exact codes for that very reason after a long winter…even with a maintainer being used. New battery, problem solved.

The shop manual fault code table tells him exactly what to do to troubleshoot C0044. Requires BUDS. I hope he has checked the brake light fuse and verified proper brake light operation. He can read the pressure from that sensor in BUDS. As a long shot, he could try performing the Brake Pressure Adaptation in the manual. If not any of these ideas, I expect you're looking at a VCM replacement.

PS. Any after market LED brake lights that have been on there for a few years? Disconnect them.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-29-2022 at 07:15 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238