Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you Glasses wearers manage with Helmet & Glasses?

Good day,

I have a simple/dumb/etc. question. I have an HJC CL-17 helmet which I love. I am approaching 54 and still use dollar store readers but I must face the facts that I need real prescription glasses. I was in the Dollar General last night and didn't want to take my helmet off because I was being lazy. So, I went up to the self checkout and tried to put my readers on. Wow, it was tight and I couldn't keep the readers touching my nose they kept moving up due to tight fit (so tight I could barely get them through the opening of the helmet) How do you guys and gals with glasses deal with helmets and such? I really like this helmet and don't want to get something else but maybe that is the answer. I]m also cheap. I just want your experiences and suggestions. Even simple things are helpful.

I appreciate your time.

Regards,

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

That’s why I switched to moduler helmets years ago.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

I usually wear contacts when I ride. I might try a pair of glasses with small metal frames next time
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2022 at 10:27 AM. Reason: ai = I ?? ;-)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Even though my helmet has a drop-down sunshade, I still wear wraparound sunglasses. I do CUToff an inch and a half or so and smooth the end. No more pain or movement.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I wear glasses and full helmets too. Basically over a week or so, they started getting better. Since I put them on in the same location, I was getting a slight indent in the helmet foam. Now they go on without issues. Try them for a week. They will loosen up.
    2018 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Good day,

I have a simple/dumb/etc. question. I have an HJC CL-17 helmet which I love. I am approaching 54 and still use dollar store readers but I must face the facts that I need real prescription glasses. I was in the Dollar General last night and didn't want to take my helmet off because I was being lazy. So, I went up to the self checkout and tried to put my readers on. Wow, it was tight and I couldn't keep the readers touching my nose they kept moving up due to tight fit (so tight I could barely get them through the opening of the helmet) How do you guys and gals with glasses deal with helmets and such? I really like this helmet and don't want to get something else but maybe that is the answer. I]m also cheap. I just want your experiences and suggestions. Even simple things are helpful.

I appreciate your time.

Regards,

Steve
    When it comes time to get " all the time glasses " ... they will fit you for the Frames .... chose a pair that are narrower in width, having your helmet will ensure they will fit better .... Mike

Spyder Garage

All my helmets are now modular and glasses are one of the major reasons.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For myself, I’ve been wearing glasses now for 67 years and contacts are NOT an option. I have 2 different helmets that I use, and either one works for me. I use either a half helmet or a 3/4 helmet. I prefer the half, but depending on the day and the weather, either one.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Long ago I did as BK suggested. I wear prescription bifocals. My helmet is a Shark brand that accommodates glasses. My glasses are the wraparound style with a 2 power bifocal that allows me clear vision of my dashboard. The bifocal is cut very low on frames so I don't have to move my head down to look at my dash. I simply look down and can read my dash clearly and easily. Also, my glasses frames have earpieces that don't turn down over and around my ear. They go straight in and hug the side of my head. Take your helmet to your optometrist and they will accommodate you with whatever you need. It took me a little while to get them adjusted to where I wanted them to fit just right. They can heat and bend the frames to give you a custom fit. Good luck. By the way, I have two pairs of glasses. One tinted for daytime and a clear pair for nighttime.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 05-02-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

I wear glasses while riding. I have an old eye injury and require light reducing glasses when out in bright sun. So here is what works for me. I chose a frame with a low profile frame, not Elton John specials type. Some helmets have a slightly higher space above your nose than others allowing for enough room. Modular helmets make it easier to get the helmet on and off, even while wearing the glasses. When selecting the helmet wear your glasses when trying it on.

FWIW. I use the Oakley Gascan frame. Bit gangster type but they do the job wrapping close to your face and have a low profile.

Word of caution. I made a mistake once with riding glasses. I bought the self darkening lenses so I did not have one for day and 1 for night. What a mistake. The problem is quite often the actual lens is not in the sun, under the bridge of the helmet. Or the sun is at your back, lens in the shade again. So nil sun protection. Also totally useless most of the time in the car, as your in the shade looking out. My current helmet is a Shark Evoline, folds all the way back, hey it it works for me. Not saying its the best and lightest or quietest, but the most comfortable for me. Blokes with different head shapes may prefer another.

Just some things for you to ponder.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-02-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Most modern helmets accommodate glasses. No matter the style. It may be time to update your helmet.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I wear perscription glasses, even my sunglasses are on strenght, I find that most modular helmets nowadays are equipped, for glasses, I have a bell Helmet, no issues, and a scorpion modular, nos issues..
    The pads inside are forgiving, and they will overtime adapt...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I have a modular helmet, HJC in my case, but it fit's so tight against my cheeks that I have to put glasses on first, then helmet. The helmet fits fine and HJC has always fit the best. But the HJC just has a tight face fit making it difficult to put the helmet on prior to glasses.

Spyder Garage

We use modular helmets. No issues for either of us with all the time glasses. There is even room for the flip down sunshades, which I use most of the time.

Linda is claustrophobic so full face helmets are not for her. As for me, I never liked them. Had a couple and use them no more.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife works for two optometrists. If she knows you ride, she tells you to bring your helmet with you when choosing new glasses.
    I never had much of a problem until I was looking for a new helmet a few years ago.
    I don't know how many helmets I tried before I found one I liked and fit my glasses.
    Now I have a pair of glasses just for riding ( transitions) so I don't have to bring sunglasses.

Spyder Garage

Lots of great suggestions. Might go with a new modular. Appreciate everyone's time.

Cheers,

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Lots of great suggestions. Might go with a new modular. Appreciate everyone's time.
    Good move, IMO. I use a modular because of glasses. Another benefit with modular is you can grab the helmet where the straps are attached and pull the sides out, making more room to drop it down on your head and not rub your ears and the glasses temples.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Word of caution. I made a mistake once with riding glasses. I bought the self darkening lenses so I did not have one for day and 1 for night. What a mistake. The problem is quite often the actual lens is not in the sun, under the bridge of the helmet. Or the sun is at your back, lens in the shade again. So nil sun protection. Also totally useless most of the time in the car, as your in the shade looking out.
    Interesting you say that. I've been wearing self darkening lens for probably 50 years now. They darken due to ultraviolet light, not ordinary visible light, whether the light is direct or indirect scattered. Shade does not hinder the darkening process. Mine get as dark, or darker, than any clip-on sunglasses I've ever used, even with my helmet on, but I ride with the visor open. In a car the windows block the ultraviolet light so my glasses don't darken any at all.

There are newer formulations of transition lens that claim to darken, at least moderately, in a car or behind a helmet shield.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Yes. Just my findings. I really do require the darkest available glasses when looking towards sun lighted areas or out in the sun at all times. Bit of a impediment but much better than becoming totally blind. I found the transition type, well didn't actually do the job I required.

I need glasses I can 100% rely on to get the job done, not darken somewhat depending where I am.

Each to their own.

Edit.
    FWIW. I hang out and ride with an Ophthalmologist and a family member manages an eye-ware / spectacle place so I have the best advice available and not someone trying to "up grade me to the latest and greatest" and make a buck..
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-02-2022 at 01:59 PM. Reason: info

Spyder Garage

I wear wireframe bifocals for riding. No issue at all with full-face Arai helmet.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I'll be the odd man out.
    Not one of the ABATE people, but in 40 years of riding, I only wore a bucket for first 10 yrs in Virginia (mandatory) when stationed there. When I moved to Ohio (optional use), I put on the bucket perhaps 5% of the time. Never had an accident yet as I drive a bike the way I drove a Navy Cruiser & Amphib Helo Carrier. "Ship driving" is far more dangerous as the cargo ship crossing my path will need 3 miles to stop as he's going 15mph with no brakes. If he's not sleeping on duty. Beyond defensive driving, I'm looking ahead and judging EVERY vehicle as a potential threat. And of course, I'm NOT drinking and NOT showing off, 2 of the main causes of accidents. If I have No accidents, then I don't need a bucket blocking part of my vision and part of my hearing. Yeah, but what about the other guy that comes out of nowhere? If I don't see him coming out of nowhere and I can't take evasive action - that's my fault. In my view, how many road rash, collision or flat tire accidents are going to be AVOIDED completely by a bucket? NHTSA lists only 60% use in optional states.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Always take your glasses off before you do so with your full face helmet. When those nose pads cut into your head above your eyes, you will be reminded of what you did not do. Forgetting will give you the "rassler" look.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    Always take your glasses off before you do so with your full face helmet. When those nose pads cut into your head above your eyes, you will be reminded of what you did not do. Forgetting will give you the "rassler" look.
    Only took me once. Helmet on before glasses. Glasses off before helmet.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Only took me once. Helmet on before glasses. Glasses off before helmet.
    Another reason I use a modular. It's a freaking pain to get my glasses on after the helmet is on. In fact, sometimes if my glasses get knocked off my ears I take the helmet off, put my glasses on straight, then put the helmet back on!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I have not tried these yet, but they look interesting. They are a stick on lens that you add to the inside of your visor.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...xoCi_kQAvD_BwE
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White