Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lithium battery advice and review

I upgraded the battery on my spyder to a lithium battery. It is $230 but is extremely lightweight (I thought the box was empty) and is about 1/3 the size. It last 4x longer than lead acid batteries also. If you buy one, it comes with foam spacers. Use 2 thick spacers on the bottom and 1 thick spacer on the top of the battery. Also, keep the RED plastic cover for the + side and cut the end off so you can keep it on the battery and protect from shorts. You can cut the top foam to fit the spyder battery clamp also. DO NOT install the battery with no foam on top of the battery. The battery clamp will short it out! If you don't feel comfortable, please have an experienced person do it. This battery is awesome!IMG_20210323_133757565.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Lots of folks have tried these over the years in Spyders. They do not last long. The Spyder charging system is programmed for an AGM battery.

Also while they have the cranking amps, they do not have much reserve capacity so be very careful of vampire loads that drain the battery while is sits. Spyders have a few inherent ones anyway.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Lots of folks have tried these over the years in Spyders. They do not last long. The Spyder charging system is programmed for an AGM battery.

Also while they have the cranking amps, they do not have much reserve capacity so be very careful of vampire loads that drain the battery while is sits. Spyders have a few inherent ones anyway.
    ... the problems of using the Lithium battery has been discussed on this forum for a few years ...... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have Antigravity brand Lithiums in my bikes and couldn't be happier. I have the ones with the shut off feature that keeps the battery from discharging to far to start the vehicle.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 w/voltmeter

I went with the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 but I also installed a voltmeter.
    Dash Front.jpg
    Very nice fit. As I recall I used a medium-thick foam pad on the bottom of the battery. I bent the two tangs on the holddown plate flat so there is no risk of shorts.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I went with the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 but I also installed a voltmeter.
    Dash Front.jpg
    Very nice fit. As I recall I used a medium-thick foam pad on the bottom of the battery. I bent the two tangs on the holddown plate flat so there is no risk of shorts.
    Do you have a picture of what you did? I am ordering the battery today. The OEM has waves on the side and has issues charging with 3 different Noco chargers. TIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2022 at 08:05 AM. Reason: changing = charging ;-)
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Caveat Emptor. I bought a new Lithium battery for my '20 RT soon after getting the RT mostly to gain room in the battery compartment. Even fully charged, it barely cranked the engine and failed to start. All the specs were higher than the OEM but couldn't handle the load. I returned the Li and re-installed the OEM battery.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I've had a Shoria in my poor, old slow V-Max for 5+ years. Always on their charger in the off season. Always starts and run great. SOOO lite, weighs nothing compared to the large stock battery.

Would I put one in my NO............

Lew L

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Lithium batteries are not fond of cold weather. Guys I know turn on their lights, flashers for a few minutes anything that draws currant, to wake up the battery.
    One friend almost lost his bike when the battery shorted out while riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No issues with mine. Run whatever you want.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Everyone goes on about how light they are, it's 600lb or more machine. A few pounds is not going to make much of a difference.
    Besides if we all skipped a few cheesebugers, it would make more of a weight savings and save even more cash LOL

Spyder Garage

Made a huge difference for me when I had to pull 2 batteries out of the Jetskis. Light item can be easily manipulated in that weird angle. I don't think weight is an issue for a 3 wheels but 2,probably. Still, if the thing has better cranking, it might be worth it.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 is the correct answer

Shortly after purchasing my 77K mile Spyder I replaced the battery with a Shorai LFX36L3-BS12. I live in SoCal so cold cranking wasn't an issue. I installed the voltmeter because many posts said the Spyder was sensitive to battery performance. My resting voltage was 13.2, starting voltage never below 12 and charging voltage 14.4 all within Shorai specs. Note that Shorai is an LiFePO4 chemistry which is the safest available and I'm replacing the voltmeter with a more interesting clock.

My Spyder came with some sort of frunk liner (I think BRP's) which seemed useless so when I found a new LFX36L3-BS12 on eBay at a super price I removed it and installed a second Shorai https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1610997

PS It's a good thing you have an F3 because your girlfriend wouldn't fit behind you on an RT.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 04-21-2022 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I've had a Shoria in my poor, old slow V-Max for 5+ years. Always on their charger in the off season. Always starts and run great. SOOO lite, weighs nothing compared to the large stock battery.

Would I put one in my NO............

Lew L

Lew L
    Why not, Lew?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I did it for the weight loss on the poor, old, slow V-Max as it's over weight. The isn't.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Bolded colours for visibility ;-)

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I upgraded the battery on my spyder to a lithium battery. It is $230 but is extremely lightweight (I thought the box was empty) and is about 1/3 the size. It last 4x longer than lead acid batteries also. If you buy one, it comes with foam spacers. Use 2 thick spacers on the bottom and 1 thick spacer on the top of the battery. Also, keep the RED plastic cover for the + side and cut the end off so you can keep it on the battery and protect from shorts. You can cut the top foam to fit the spyder battery clamp also. DO NOT install the battery with no foam on top of the battery. The battery clamp will short it out! If you don't feel comfortable, please have an experienced person do it. This battery is awesome!IMG_20210323_133757565.jpg
    What brand and model is this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. I've had a Shoria in my poor, old slow V-Max for 5+ years. Always on their charger in the off season. Always starts and run great. SOOO lite, weighs nothing compared to the large stock battery. Lew L
    Lew, do you have a voltmeter on your V-Max? I'm wondering if the charging system on our bikes, which were originally designed for Lead-Acid AGM, is compatible with LiFePO4 batteries; that is, whether it keeps the voltage up over 13v? Proper LiFePO4 chargers are designed to go over 14volts charging, then maintain over 13volts. I know this only from my solar panel projects on my Scamp and Lee-Sure Lite.

Ebbetts Pass.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried the NOCO brand of lithium powersports battery? Seems to be as good as Shorai in specs, but less expensive ... https://no.co/nlp20
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Lew, do you have a voltmeter on your V-Max? I'm wondering if the charging system on our bikes, which were originally designed for Lead-Acid AGM, is compatible with LiFePO4 batteries; that is, whether it keeps the voltage up over 13v? Proper LiFePO4 chargers are designed to go over 14volts charging, then maintain over 13volts. I know this only from my solar panel projects on my Scamp and Lee-Sure Lite.

Ebbetts Pass.jpg
    Yes, and the poor old thing does charge at over 14 V...

That is a great picture we've got right there.........

Lew L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried the NOCO brand of lithium powersports battery? Seems to be as good as Shorai in specs, but less expensive ... https://no.co/nlp20
    Thanks Pete ..... I checked the LINK and was impressed ( especially with that price ).... Until I saw it only had 7 AH ( I don't trust what they claim it's equivalent to ) .... and it won't fit in the Spyder ... it's too WIDE by 1/2 inch...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks Pete ..... I checked the LINK and was impressed ( especially with that price ).... Until I saw it only had 7 AH ( I don't trust what they claim it's equivalent to ) .... and it won't fit in the Spyder ... it's too WIDE by 1/2 inch...... good luck .... Mike
    Mike, I had the same reaction on the AH, but didn't realize it was too wide. I got my Shorai yesterday and will install it today. The specs on the Spyder charging system (min and max charging voltage) are well within required range for Lithium so that's not an issue. But, I discovered my onboard charger/maintainer (NOCO Genius 2D) is not compatible with lithium, so I'll have to get something which is. I have 4 of these on board chargers, so I'll be selling 3 of them soon.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

But, I discovered my onboard charger/maintainer (NOCO Genius 2D) is not compatible with lithium, so I'll have to get something which is. I have 4 of these on board chargers, so I'll be selling 3 of them soon.
    I am using the Deltran unit on my Shorai ( and everything else that I have) and never a problem... I even called Deltran to make sure they were OK for a LiFePo unit and they said

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Mike, I had the same reaction on the AH, but didn't realize it was too wide. I got my Shorai yesterday and will install it today. The specs on the Spyder charging system (min and max charging voltage) are well within required range for Lithium so that's not an issue. But, I discovered my onboard charger/maintainer (NOCO Genius 2D) is not compatible with lithium, so I'll have to get something which is. I have 4 of these on board chargers, so I'll be selling 3 of them soon.
    So Pete,

Keep us all posted on how the Li battery works out in your over the YEARS. I know the one in my poor, old, slow V-Max ( someone took me seriously, I know sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, but I can be good at it.. thus the emoji ) has been working fine for YEARS.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I am using the Deltran unit on my Shorai ( and everything else that I have) and never a problem... I even called Deltran to make sure they were OK for a LiFePo unit and they said
    After some more research, I discovered that with Shorai anyway, the Deltran and NOCO will be okay. Apparently neither of them has a high-voltage desulfation mode, which is what Shorai warn about. So, I'm going to keep my NOCO Genius2D onboard units.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So Pete,

Keep us all posted on how the Li battery works out in your over the YEARS. I know the one in my poor, old, slow V-Max ( someone took me seriously, I know sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, but I can be good at it.. thus the emoji ) has been working fine for YEARS.

Lew L
    Lew, I just now finished up the installation and it fired right up! No flickering of dash lights, dimming of headlights, prolonged cranking. This after 6 months in storage (the Spyder not the battery, which of course is deader than a proverbial doornail). Shorai batteries rock!
    2014 RTL Platinum