Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone ever had this happen after installing Magic Mirrors?

This is a posting from another person, from a different venue, discussing Magic Mirrors, that I found interesting, and my curiosity brings me here to ask my fellow SL's. What do you think? Has this happened to any of you?

His comment reads;

Just a bit of info for y’all. I have a 2010 rt se5, I put on the magic mirrors because when I got it the clips were already broken. They are great. The first time I rode it the temp gauge pinned too high. Turns out that the magnets are so strong they affect the temp and gas gauges rendering them useless. If you simply disconnect the gauges, digital gauges will appear on your screen, and they are considerably more accurate than the analog gauges. So I took out the analog gauges and replaced them with a volt meter and a usb charger. Don’t know what years that applies to, I would assume up to 2013, but not sure. Hope this helps someone.

Rick

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If I remember the cure its to turn the magnets 180 and reinstall...........
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This issue was discussed several times after the Magic Mirrors became available. I believe the solution, as EdMat says, is to reverse the magnets. Starting in 2013 or 2014 the gauges were changed, I'm pretty sure, to avoid this problem, but I can't say for sure as I got rid of the analog gauges as soon as I got my 2014 RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe those gauges (temp & fuel) were made by the same people who make the crapenda tires for BURP. I got rid of them long ago before I installed my magic mirrors. Lamonster would not sell me four magic mirrors mounts, I had to buy all six. So I ordered the parts and made my own. Much much less expensive also. I've had no issues at all with my MM's. They work great. The temp & fuel gauges were replaced with USB/volt gauge and a 12v cigarette lighter receptacle.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, for the feedback! Especially those of you who have been riding long enough to "unfortunately" encounter these problems, and are able to share your experiences, and fixes, with us late comers. A tremendous help for sure.

Rick

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

No problems with the Magic Mirrors and the stock gauges.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

No problems with the Magic Mirrors and the stock gauges.
    I think that's because we have 14's, so I've read?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I think that's because we have 14's, so I've read?
    That was my "get the gist" understanding of the original conversation as well.....2013 and below.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White