Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Want to give me a loan???
    Nooooooooo, I gave you some advice for what it's worth,,,, or not. Because I've been down the "aftermarket seat road" several times.

Right now I have the Misty Mt. sheepskin seat cover. Not necessarily for comfort but because it is never hot and never cold.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 03-09-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only heard this so I don't know if it is actually true, however, some experienced long haul (so to speak) male riders wear pantie hose under their levis or whatever. I do know that some cowboys (horsemen) have found that pantie hose prevent irritating issues when on horseback for long periods of time. I've never tried it myself. Not sure I ever will.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Only heard this so I don't know if it is actually true, however, some experienced long haul (so to speak) male riders wear pantie hose under their levis or whatever. I do know that some cowboys (horsemen) have found that pantie hose prevent irritating issues when on horseback for long periods of time. I've never tried it myself. Not sure I ever will.
    Me, Myself, & I had a quick conversation; We voted unanimously against trying the pantie hose! Made it 70+ years without them. But if and when someone else gives it a try, I can always handle a good
    .........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

More likely compression pants than 'panty hose'. They do help regulate sweat and temp as a base layer. Personally, I wear merino wool or synthetics as base year-round. I tour weeks at a time and between the airhawk and proper base layers, no monkey butt.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

For those who have the Alaska Leather sheepskin, is the padding the actual thickness of the wool? Is it wool and hide, without any actual padding? I also heard back from Misty Mountain. They're selling the F3 rider only pad for ..... $140/shipped

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Troop, I have the actual Alaska Leather, and there is no padding. It’s just the hide and the wool. That plus a properly (for you) inflated airhawk and Muy problem was mostly eliminated (no burning bum).

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    But if and when someone else gives it a try, I can always handle a good
    .........Bill
    Oh please NO to the pic. Pretty, pretty , pretty please.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Me, Myself, & I had a quick conversation; We voted unanimously against trying the pantie hose! Made it 70+ years without them. But if and when someone else gives it a try, I can always handle a good
    .........Bill
    Hey man. I'm with you, yourself, & I. But I was simply just say'n...............
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2022 at 09:44 PM. Reason: you, yourself,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Troop, I have the actual Alaska Leather, and there is no padding. It’s just the hide and the wool. That plus a properly (for you) inflated airhawk and Muy problem was mostly eliminated (no burning bum).
    Looking at the sheepskin to throw on for long distance trips in the summer. Thx for the input

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I've gone thru too many rides to 'invest' in an after-market seat. It's an expensive crap-shoot that may not solve the problem. The Airhawk or equivalent is portable and WORKS for about $100.
    Ray, Joe and others aren’t talking about “one size fits all” aftermarket seats like Ultimate, Mustang or Corbin. I agree with you that those seats are indeed a crap-shoot. Joe is referring to Russell Daylong or Laam, both of who custom build a seat for your size and riding style, with under thigh support (that’s why your car seat is all day comfortable), and guarantee it will give you all day comfort (if it doesn’t they will modify it until it does).

To say the Airhawk WORKS is a sweeping statement. It may indeed work for you, but for the rest of us it really is the same crap-shoot you mentioned earlier. It failed me badly (and yes, I used the correct minimal pressure). Neither the sheepskin, nor butt buffer worked for me either.

I have now had a Daylong built for my last 5 bikes, and every one of them has given me all day comfort from day one (except for one which was sent back and modified…..fine after that). A custom seat is the only seating solution that is guaranteed to work. Pads, Airhawk, Buffers will certainly work for some, and are worth a try if you want to try a potential cheaper solution, and who knows, you might fluke a solution. Me, I’d rather spend extra and get something I KNOW will work for ME, day in, day out.

I just bought a ‘21RT-L and thought I might save a few $ this time around and pulled out the Butt Buffer, Sheepskin and Airhawk, just in case…….nope…..I get around 30 minutes of comfort out of each of them, and the sheepskin on top of the Airhawk gives me around an hour. My Russell Daylong is now on order…..and they are not cheap to convert Aussie $ and have shipped…….but worth every penny to me.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 03-10-2022 at 09:06 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

For a while, I put a chunk of bubble wrap under my Alaska sheepskin. Seemed to help a little bit. Poor man's Airhawk.
    Last edited by Fat Baxter; 03-10-2022 at 04:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

It was November 1987 and I had to get from Hudson Falls, NY to southern Ohio and I had to do it NOW. I won't go into details why, but my transportation was a Yamaha FJ1100. An excellent bike, but lacking a lot of weather protection. I left HF around 3pm and by 10pm it was 32 degrees and likely to drop a lot more. Leather was the prime material for riding back then and while it was nice it wasn't getting the job done at that temp. Stopping for the night was not an option so somewhere between Erie, Pa. and the Ohio border I stopped and bought a wool sweater and two pair of large pantyhose. I was still cold, but I was much warmer than I had been before that stop. I prayed I didn't get into an accident for obvious reasons. It was 25 degrees when I got into Chillicothe at 1am. 670 miles in ten hours at mostly freezing temps. Those pantyhose helped a LOT. Not something I make a habit of, but it sure beats freezing
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great short story Navydad. My wife and I got caught in a similar situation and we stopped for coffee and hot chocolate to warm up. It was about 2:00 AM and 35 degrees outside. The restaurant had a newspaper stand and we bought all the remaining papers and stuffed them inside our pants and jackets. A little stiff but worked like a charm.

Spyder Garage

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I'm CHEAP , has anyone tried using a tanned rabbit fur for a seat pad like the $12/$13 rabbit pelts you can order on Amazon.

Spyder Garage

Great short story Navydad. My wife and I got caught in a similar situation and we stopped for coffee and hot chocolate to warm up. It was about 2:00 AM and 35 degrees outside. The restaurant had a newspaper stand and we bought all the remaining papers and stuffed them inside our pants and jackets. A little stiff but worked like a charm.
    I guess when the printed word finally disappears we will freeze to death. That is another trick that I've heard about, but never tried. Those of us who have been riding for years have heard about and tried a lot of tricks. Some worked, some didn't. When you take a minute to think about it some great strides have been made when it comes to riding gear.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Something we found is never let your butt get used to the saddle. We change at one fuel stop the next. Start with with nothing. Next we use the air hawk. Next we take Dave’s gel pad and slide, remove the air hawk bladder and insert gel pad. Finally the sheep skin. If you change up each time it really helps on long trips. At least it does for us.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

When temps drop below 40 I break out the heat gear! Mostly just need the jacket liner but when really cold, I wear the pants, socks, & fire up the gloves. The heated grips and seat are very helpful - to a point.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have tried the airhawk, comfort seat, sheepskin, and combination of all. They all provide some relief for a time, then it's back to uncomfortable. I will say my riding also has a lot to do with the type of pants and skivvies I wear. That may sound a little odd, but those 2 (without seams) work very well. That's my 2 cents which now cost 5 cents to produce.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Have always worn a base layer compression pant for the last 20+ years which can help regulate body temperature/wicking away moisture as well as help blood circulation with long periods of sitting, which can help with fatigue. Moto-Skiveez actually now makes 3 different types for different riding styles, but there are many others out there. Have also learned that it is not a bad idea to take a break at least every hour any way, as I find for myself and my wife it seems to refresh us and slows the pace down to enjoy what's around us instead of just passing things by, took me a long time to learn that one.
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I've used Beadrider seat covers on my last several motorcycles, and transferred them to my RT when I bought it last summer. To those that have not used them, its often thought that it would be like sitting on pebbles and very uncomfortable, but that is not the case at all. Once seated, the weight of you butt is spread out on multiple beads and has made my stock Spyder comfortable for multi hour long rides. In the hot weather the Beadrider helps reduce sweating as it allows some air between your bottom and the seat surface. And the same for getting caught in the rain. The water runs under the beads, keeping your pants relatively dry. I have found that in a moderate rain I do not even bother putting on rain pants, just the rain jacket and I stay dry. I don't recall what I paid for the Beadrider covers for both myself and my wife's passenger seat, but I recall it was less that the AirHawk2 cushions that I tried and was not happy with.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I have this .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20208421099...pid=1983939364 https://www.ebay.com/itm/23348743614...3ABFBMzsm7nO9f many years old and the elastic straps no longer stretch. Cut them off and just toss the beads on the seat. I like it, but I just ordered a Alaska Leather size L sheepskin for my F3S rider seat. We shall see... Hell .. Just a few $$ for a two pack.
    Last edited by troop; 03-11-2022 at 11:24 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I have had a Misty Mountain sheepskin seat cover for the past few years and it is great for both cool and warm weather.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Big F, how is it for distance, time in the saddle?

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the Alaska Leathers for both myself and wife.

If anyone's interested, you could get 10% off with the discount code deadsheep and the shipping is free.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue