Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    Just got a call from my dealer,BRP told them to change the DPS then get it back to me. Thats fine but I ask if they rode it to try to recreate the behavior. NOT HAPPY with what I was told, they didn't even ride it.

Smylinacha----> is yours still doing ok with just a new dps? how many times have you been able to ride it since?
    Or PITMON, hows yours? you had more than just dps changed right?
    I'm not liking the fact that your dealer did not test ryde it! My dealer took mine out for quite a while and he's a Cam Am guy - if he's not ryding a , he's on a quad or a snowmobile. He had no problem. I only rode it last Sunday to NY State and back and I don't think it was even 200 miles. But I got it up in the 70's on the backroads. At first I was scared but after a while my nervousness went away - I didn't have any problems on Sunday. My way to NY I rode w/ no tunes because I wanted to be prepared if anything were to go wrong. Way home, more relaxed with tunes blasting in my helmet Hoping to ryde again this Sunday (after I wash it Saturday - it is filthy from the wet roads last weekend).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I'm not liking the fact that your dealer did not test ryde it! My dealer took mine out for quite a while and he's a Cam Am guy - if he's not ryding a , he's on a quad or a snowmobile. He had no problem. I only rode it last Sunday to NY State and back and I don't think it was even 200 miles. But I got it up in the 70's on the backroads. At first I was scared but after a while my nervousness went away - I didn't have any problems on Sunday. My way to NY I rode w/ no tunes because I wanted to be prepared if anything were to go wrong. Way home, more relaxed with tunes blasting in my helmet Hoping to ryde again this Sunday (after I wash it Saturday - it is filthy from the wet roads last weekend).
    I guess I'm not that worried he didn't ride it, I mean he wouldn't be able to fix it any better feeling it do it. He has to do what BRP say do pretty much. Since mine did exactly as yours did and thats what u had changed, I'll feel content with it. Well maybe it is just as simple that bad dps from the beginning, and the ECM update screwed it up good. I know that batches of bad parts are made all the time. Fingers crossed its that simple. I have never seen anything scroll on my dash other than parking brake on, so it obviously wasn't picking up problems. Wish my body had a scroll when the lock up happened, you would've got alot of scrolls.....lol..Hope that you get to ride again this weekend, seems your fixed and good to go, enjoy it before it gets too cold up there.
    Last edited by stgilmer; 11-19-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Well maybe it is just as simple that bad dps from the beginning, and the ECM update screwed it up good. I know that batches of bad parts are made all the time.
    Yeah, I hope that is all it was - I hope BRP can tell us exactly what they are finding soon. Now is this the 3rd DPS you are getting in stalled? I had my original, then had the lockups, second one put in that was bad from the get go and #3 is a charm.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Yeah, I hope that is all it was - I hope BRP can tell us exactly what they are finding soon. Now is this the 3rd DPS you are getting in stalled? I had my original, then had the lockups, second one put in that was bad from the get go and #3 is a charm.
    This will be my second one, it was the original one that locked on me also.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Keep us posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My original DPS was always hard to steer and after getting the recall done on a Wednesday morning it remained the same. Except, I started getting the scroll "Check DPS". I took it back to the dealer and no codes came up. They sent me on my way and the following Saturday, is when the steering locked up.

This was in mid Oct and they replaced the power steering unit. Since getting it back, I've put over 1200 miles on it w/out a problem.

If I knew than what I know now, I would have left it at the dealer. If anything is scrolling across the dash, other than "Release Parking Brake".

I know from reading your post and other's, nothing was scrolling across your dash. Why it did on mine? I can only guess, it had something to do w/the recall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferno View Post
    just spoke with my dealer,
    ..........still waiting for parts after 6 days. Looks like dps did not like or agree with 2nd software update. waiting for new dps
    It took 6 days to get my new DPS to the dealer and can only say that with all the units BRP is replacing, there must be a backlog.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer for you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine is still in the shop waiting for yet another DPS unit. They have put 2 new units in so far and neither worked. Been down over 2 weeks just for the DPS problem plus another month because of the accident involving the deer. Gonna call dealer again today.......if no parts have arrived, I'am calling Carlo.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    My original DPS was always hard to steer and after getting the recall done on a Wednesday morning it remained the same. Except, I started getting the scroll "Check DPS". I took it back to the dealer and no codes came up. They sent me on my way and the following Saturday, is when the steering locked up.

This was in mid Oct and they replaced the power steering unit. Since getting it back, I've put over 1200 miles on it w/out a problem.

If I knew than what I know now, I would have left it at the dealer. If anything is scrolling across the dash, other than "Release Parking Brake".

I know from reading your post and other's, nothing was scrolling across your dash. Why it did on mine? I can only guess, it had something to do w/the recall.
    Yeah, Bum, my experience was similar to yours. The shop informed me that the first recall included new DPS diagnostics and was able to detect the bad unit and scroll the message.

Spyder Garage

I just had my 4th DPS unit installed. The good part is that the second and third were recognized by the dealer as being defective before they gave me my Spydar back, so I never actually had to ride on them. A BRP rep was sent to the dealership and confirmed that they were bad. BPR then discovered that a bad batch of DPS units had been sent to dealers nation wide. They were able to tell they were from the same "batch" because of their markings. I asked the dealer how many makes up a batch, but he didn't know. They had the bike for over a month, but at least they're making sure its right. As expected, these parts are currently in high demand, and there's probably going to be some waiting if you need one. I also found out that BRP does not manufacture the DPS unit, they buy it from someone else. I'm not suggesting that it relieves them from the responsibility, just putting out the info.

This steering issue is a horrible problem for sure, but I do have some positive things to say. When the BRP rep came to the dealership he brought diagnostic and data recording equipment with him in an effort to gain as much info as possible on the bad units. This equipment is beyond what the dealerships have. The dealer and the BRP rep then did several hundred miles of test driving, on more than one Spyder. The problem became worse and worse as the miles added up. While it was acting up they switched riders and confirmed what one another was feeling. Towards the end of the ride they described the problem as severe. It appears that they are really trying to get this figured out and fixed. Can they do more ? I don't know.

Since I have my Spyder back the steering has been better than ever. I just got it back and only have 100 miles on the new DPS, so I'm not going to do a victory dance just yet. I hope to log some miles this weekend. Like so many others, I must admit I'm a bit nervous riding after having a pretty bad lock up. I think if I can go trouble free for awhile I'll be fine.

Be careful and take you Spyder to the dealer if you have detected steering problems. This problem has varying degrees of severity. A little nudge in your steeing could be an ugly lock up next time.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post
    I just had my 4th DPS unit installed. The good part is that the second and third were recognized by the dealer as being defective before they gave me my Spydar back, so I never actually had to ride on them. A BRP rep was sent to the dealership and confirmed that they were bad. BPR then discovered that a bad batch of DPS units had been sent to dealers nation wide. They were able to tell they were from the same "batch" because of their markings. I asked the dealer how many makes up a batch, but he didn't know. They had the bike for over a month, but at least they're making sure its right. As expected, these parts are currently in high demand, and there's probably going to be some waiting if you need one. I also found out that BRP does not manufacture the DPS unit, they buy it from someone else. I'm not suggesting that it relieves them from the responsibility, just putting out the info.

This steering issue is a horrible problem for sure, but I do have some positive things to say. When the BRP rep came to the dealership he brought diagnostic and data recording equipment with him in an effort to gain as much info as possible on the bad units. This equipment is beyond what the dealerships have. The dealer and the BRP rep then did several hundred miles of test driving, on more than one Spyder. The problem became worse and worse as the miles added up. While it was acting up they switched riders and confirmed what one another was feeling. Towards the end of the ride they described the problem as severe. It appears that they are really trying to get this figured out and fixed. Can they do more ? I don't know.

Since I have my Spyder back the steering has been better than ever. I just got it back and only have 100 miles on the new DPS, so I'm not going to do a victory dance just yet. I hope to log some miles this weekend. Like so many others, I must admit I'm a bit nervous riding after having a pretty bad lock up. I think if I can go trouble free for awhile I'll be fine.

Be careful and take you Spyder to the dealer if you have detected steering problems. This problem has varying degrees of severity. A little nudge in your steeing could be an ugly lock up next time.
    Glad you got your Spyder back!

Way2Fast

I think that in the name of safety, BRP should do a recall on all the Spyders that might possibly have one of the "defective" DPS units. They seem to only be responding to the complaints of owners who....by the grace of God...managed to avoid an accident when their steering malfunctioned. What about those who have no knowledge of this potiential killer DPS? There are probably thousands of Spyder owners who don't visit forums and therefore have no way of knowing about DPS problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS Question

I was on a road today with some twistys. Everything was going fine after the first 50 miles. However, I noticed that when I turned slightly to the right I had to pull the handlebars a little more as if they wanted to go straight. The nudge worked each time but it did make me nervous especially at 60+ mph. Coming home on the same twistys I thought when maybe I'm forgetting to lean into the turns correctly (ol biker days die hard) now I did not notice the problem coming home, but I'm thinking maybe this is the start of something. Did anyone's DPS problems start this way?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Yeah, Bum, my experience was similar to yours. The shop informed me that the first recall included new DPS diagnostics and was able to detect the bad unit and scroll the message.
    Neez, thinking about it, I'm glad I waited to have the recall done. The only thing I wish is, that the service manager knew what it meant when he saw the scroll, after I returned it.

Now this sevice dept does know from my experience and won't send the next owner on his way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post

C3517C, Like you and Smylinacha, I got nervous, when I started it up outside the dealership and wished I had a xanax LOL. But after taking it up the street and back, I felt a lot better, until I thought about crossing over the bay from Panama City, to the beach. I hate crossing that bridge in my truck. Since getting it back about a month ago, I've put on a lot of miles w/out a problem.

I ride it daily now and the lockup will always be in the back of my mind and if I feel something differant in the steering from what it is now, I won't hesitate to get it into the sevice dept.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    I was on a road today with some twistys. Everything was going fine after the first 50 miles. However, I noticed that when I turned slightly to the right I had to pull the handlebars a little more as if they wanted to go straight. The nudge worked each time but it did make me nervous especially at 60+ mph. Coming home on the same twistys I thought when maybe I'm forgetting to lean into the turns correctly (ol biker days die hard) now I did not notice the problem coming home, but I'm thinking maybe this is the start of something. Did anyone's DPS problems start this way?
    Not with me - I didn't notice anything up until it actually happened. I have read that some are having lock ups where it doesn't overcorrect, some have problems and it overcorrects which makes it more of a problem, some at low speeds and some at high speeds. Wonder if it's all the same problem or different problems? Mine was low speed and it didn't overcorrect itself. Just locked and then yanked free but I never oversteered into another lane. It just locked in a curve twice. Once I yanked it, it was fine. Now w/ the new dps, it seems fine.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I haven't looked in on this forum in awhile.

I haven't had any of the steering recall work done on my Spyder yet (only 1900 miles in 1 1/2 years (too many bikes too little time). As far as I know (nothing to compare with) I don't have any steering problems (yet). From reading these posts I'm thinking I should continue to wait before having the recall work done.

Looking for advice on that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Been through it all in a very short time. I put over 3k miles in the first month and then the probs started.

First it was intermittent power in corners that sent you into other lanes when it hit. So, I get the recall done.

Then the locking issue. Yeah this one really sux and is enough to make your butthole pucker at highway speeds. Take it to the dealer it just gets worse!!!

Now i am waiting and waiting and waiting for my new DPS to arrive. 23 days and counting. Like a few others here and elsewhere, seems BRP likes to send the wrong DPS unit the first time. Too many incidents for it to be basic coincidence or incompetence. I am almost beleiving they are doing it on purpose to maybe validate the particular part number is really the problem or something.

I know, i know doesn't make sense, but what else is there? Can BRP really have such an issue that they send a large portion of those receiving new DPS units the wrong part the first time. Is it pandemic level stupidity? I would like to beleive it is not stupidity.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    Yes, sounds like the locking issue. Mine happened on highways and in inner-city traffic. It got worse quickly. Take it to the dealership now for your own safety!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    or maybe just arrogance........

or maybe repetitive coincidence is just bad luck.......
    After the dealer installed the second unit he was unable to reset the sensors. Now i don't know what the hell that means, but he said he called the tech line and in less than 5 minutes the tech line had indicated the wrong part number had been sent and that this particular part number was removed from circulation. REEEAAALLLYYY! Then how the hell did they send it to my dealer for install on my bike? It really gets you thinking.