Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks aren't everything , or are they ?

Sept 29, 2021
    I had a 2011 Canam ST5 , I had a 2016 Canam ST SE5 , A Canam Sea to Sky RT and now a Canam Spyder F3 Ltd. I normally prefer the look of the RT's which are totally enclosed in Tupperware. Maybe that is why I liked the look of scooters in the past. Now that I own a 2021 F3 Ltd, I have a very different look. Now the engine is showing and not covered anymore. That is an adjustment for me and I am trying to decide if I like that look or not.

I purchased it yesterday from East Coast Cycle Center in Bensalem, Pa. My S2S RT was in for service due to a stereo problem and a needed air bag replacement. Both were under warranty since I only had it for 4 months. I got frustrated waiting for repairs due to a lot of time consumed between Burp and the dealer. BRP is definitely thorough when it comes to replacing parts under their 2 year warranty. That's just the way it is.

Tired of waiting and missing the riding time for a month or so, I bought the 2021 F3 Ltd to keep me occupied. I have 100 miles on it now and I am getting use to this kind of ride and look. I purchased the Magma Red. Cool color. The bike performs perfectly and I even have a working stereo. LOL. I am only wondering if I like giving up all the amenities like the large power windshield, fully padded seats, more rear lighting, the large floorboards, the fancy wheels, ( which I really don't care about ) the passenger radio controls, heated passenger seat, non vibrating mirrors, large digital dash etc. If I left anything out I am sorry that I might have forgotten somethings. LOL.

I would just like to have other Ryder drivers opinion on the open motor F3 Ltd compared to the RT Sea to Sky or any RT. As far as cleaning goes, the RT was easy to wash off the Tupperware. How complicated or how messy does the F3 engine get when running in the rain and possibly some mud?

Please give me your feedback comparing the two. Like I said, I have 100 miles on the F3 now and am actually enjoy it, providing my lower back doesn't run into any problems. I don't take any long trips. Most are 100 miles or less heading to the shore and running around different roads in NJ and Pa.

Motogordo Spyderman
    2021-09-29 9.29.2021F3 003.jpg002 (3).jpgcanam.jpgcanam.trade.jpgscan.1.jpg
    Last edited by Motogordo; 09-30-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: RT

Spyder Garage

Times and preferences change. I'm reminded when Honda's Goldwing was updated and the big thing was to not have any bolt heads showing. They didn't succeed 100% but came pretty close..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Large power mirrors, is that on the S2S RT? I’m being serious, I’ve totally missed it if it is.

Edit: thought about it and I’m guessing you intended to say windshield instead of mirror which would make sense.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-30-2021 at 12:41 AM. Reason: OP Update; then Mod fix to quote miss-display. :-/

Spyder Garage

Personally I prefer the open engine appearance of the F3 over the enclosed plastic look of the RT's. When my F3 was brand new I coated as much of the exposed engine with F11 sealer and any dirt and grime wash off quite easily.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

From a looks point of view, the RT is sophisticated and the F3 is sporty IMO.
    RT 'body' is easier to clean than the F3's exposed nooks & crannies. But it takes extra time when servicing the RT.
    If comfort is key the RT wins. If performance is key the F3 wins (although the RT can compete with upgrades).
    I can't verify but I believe the RT shell helps to reduce engine heat in the summer. I didn't notice the heat in 102 temps on my RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oct 1, 2021

I agree with what you said RayBJ . My first thought was that the F3 would be a bummer if it got covered with muddy water. Of course it can be washed off with no problem. The RTS2S I had was easy to wash and wipe down. As far as heat, I never noticed any on the S2S but did feel a bit of heat, but nothing serious. I am getting use to driving the F3 now. I go out every day to see how I feel as far as any lower back problems. My longest ride on the S2S was about 130 miles round trip to Long Beach Island, NJ. You definitely ride on top of the RT's like a motor scooter and down into the F3's. I do like the color of my F3LTD ( Magma Red ). It does stand out. Thanks for your opinion.

Motogordo Spyderman

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is all a matter of personal preference. I had the older model RT (2014) and loved the look, but did not like the attached trunk for solo riding (which is 95% for me). Therefore I traded and picked up a 2016 F3T. I love the performance and handling. But I hate the lawn mower look. But I am a rider, and can't really see the bike when riding, so I am fine with that. In 2020 with the removable trunk on the RT, that is the perfect one for me. If I could get the larger sprocket from my 2016 F3T, the rims from your chrome version of the F3 Limited, and get it in either a black or dark blue (like the 2022 Sea to Sky), then I would have the perfect spyder. But all that is just a personal choice for me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Hey Motogordo - you are in my neck of the woods!

I had traded my 2015 F3-S for the 2020 RT Limited - found myself not being able to sleep and emailing the dealer at 2am for my old ryde back. I tried to love the RT - warm tushy....heated grips that actually get warm (compared to the F3 grips that are sadly anemic) - rode it for the next 5 weeks, but just could not get used to the ergonomics. I am 5-2, and felt like I was riding a horse, and my feet were literally dangling due to the higher riding position. For me, I was far more comfortable in the more relaxed riding position of the F3. So, I traded out to the 2020 F3 Limited (magma red) that I have now. I thoroughly enjoy the minimal tupperware - as it makes it much easier to work on in your own garage. Not gonna lie...miss the true heated grips and warm tushy - but, I upgraded the lighting myself. And in the end, the modifications that I was able to do myself, gave me the opportunity to make the ryde my own - and at a fraction of the cost of what it would have been had it come that wa from the factory.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth - it all truly does come down to what your creature comforts are.

Ryde Safe :-)